Upgrading the OL

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The OL isn’t good.

Yesterday, on the road, in the cold, against a bad rush defense, that never had less than 5 DBs on the field.

The Bears averaged 2.9 yards per carry with runs to the running backs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're always jumping to conclusions.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You pay attention to the o-line more than most on here so what's the deal with J.Daniels and C.Whitehair? Are they better with Daniels at LG and Whitehair at C? Is Daniels good at all or does he show that he will be good if not now then in a year or two? I know we need a new RG and Coward is a backup more than he's a starter and i'm pretty sure that Massie and Leno will both be back and starting just because of the contracts/money owed but the inside on the line is where we need the maulers to open up the run game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You pay attention to the o-line more than most on here so what's the deal with J.Daniels and C.Whitehair? Are they better with Daniels at LG and Whitehair at C? Is Daniels good at all or does he show that he will be good if not now then in a year or two? I know we need a new RG and Coward is a backup more than he's a starter and i'm pretty sure that Massie and Leno will both be back and starting just because of the contracts/money owed but the inside on the line is where we need the maulers to open up the run game.

Daniels and Whitehair are fine. Much better after the switch. Never switch them back.

Coward has been bad.

The OTs are mediocre. We need competition.

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
Hey Windy, how would you feel about Daniels and Whitehair switching if the Bears nail down that stud FA RG you've been talking about? If RG becomes a strength, would the switch to their 'natural' positions make sense, or are you absolute in the "Never switch them back"?

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Against a team with a crap run defense, playing extra D-backs most of the game is a horrible indictment of the Bears Oline. They should of been able to line up in the I formation and just plow forward against that D. Top priority in FA this year needs to be: The best available TE & the best available O-lineman (at any position). I am way more confident in Trubinsky than I was weeks ago. He is showing that he can play in the league and be a good QB. So, I have changed how I thought that the first 2nd rd pick should be a QB, to drafting a backup QB later in the draft. I am hopeful that the first 2 picks will be best avail O-line and best avail OLB.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
The Kyle Long savings should be invested back into RG. Add a mid round OT into the mix. Bears are contractually stuck with Leno and Massie next season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t move Daniels back.

The mental part of the game got him. 202 beat him up as much as 10.

Leave him and let him grow at one spot.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Do everything to land Brandon Scherff. I’m not sold on Daniels. Every time I watch replays of games, he is getting worked. Seems soft. I’d also try to draft Tyler Biadasz or Creed Humphrey. Both look strong as hell and are highly rated centers. Let one of them battle it out with Daniels and see who wins.

The Massie contract is just awful. We absolutely need to draft an OT as well.

The Ol needs a major overhaul. A lot of resources, yes, but if that group doesn’t get to be a strength, it won’t matter what other changes are made to the offense as a whole.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agree with Windy. Whitehair is bad at snapping but Trubs actually does a very good job with bad snaps.

Great point about the Packers staying in nickel.

People talk about Trubs as the weak point but if teams are staying in Nickel that means they have no respect for your OL.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Need to watch the film again, but I remember 2 specific I-formation runs where the Bears got stuffed for no gain or a small loss. Against a Nickel/Dime defense. Embarassing as hell, team needs to prioritize RG in FA, and draft tackles so we can let Leno and Massie walk when the time is right. Those contract extensions look really fucking bad right now.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I would look at moving Massie to RG and going after a tackle worth a shit. When Massie gets beat, he always gets beat on the edge but dominates when he gets his hands on the defender.
Check Bars out at RT.
Draft both OG and OT.
Fire Heistand.
Fix your shit playcalling when the defense is over active. I’m talking quick Patterson/Cohen screens over the middle. Nagy never, ever calls these and this would keep the linemen from firing off every down

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wonder if Whitehair could play RG and add a natural C instead. He's our best o-lineman so i actually think he could but we gotta stop moving him around so much. I don't know why they aren't playing A.Bars to see what the kid can do.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Is there any coming up or FA worth upgrading to? Last year's oline prospects were dead so I came into the season not expecting much.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
The biggest negative is that Leno and Massie's contracts were based on them continuing to play at a higher level than they are showing right now. We don't have a lot we can do without tieing up an unreasonably high percentage of cap in the O-Line area. I can't see them paying Leno and Massie to ride the bench with their cap numbers. Our best hope is to look to the draft and spend some of the precious few draft picks we have on some Olinemen and hope they pan out. This is where wagering draft capital in previous drafts and acquisitions is going to bite us hard as we have too many holes to fill and it will require Pace hitting on a really high percentage of picks or somehow finding some steals in FA which are hard to come by.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The OL isn’t good.

Yesterday, on the road, in the cold, against a bad rush defense, that never had less than 5 DBs on the field.

The Bears averaged 2.9 yards per carry with runs to the running backs.

This has more to do with the types of runs called and in the sitiations they were called rather than the actual run blocking.

Matt Nagys run game is built only to catch teams in a pass defense and keep them honest. Its a gimmick. A gimmick. A gimmick.

How many fucking times does that have to be repeated.

It was again a 50 throw game on a guy throwing into a defense who could care less about committing to stopping the run.

Defensive coordinator from GB even said, "It's a passing league and we stop the pass first." Basically giving the formula to win right to Nagy. But Nagy overthinks it and makes the mistake of thinking he can beat them at their own game.

This is a pride issue. Pride is his greatest weakness.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
In all fairness I do not think that the Bears counted on Long being as bad as he was. Even average level play at that position would have been an upgrade as to what we have had this season.

Best strategy is likely to upgrade at guard in free agency and try to find a tackle with one of our first 3 selections.

For those that dislike Pace, he sure has his work cut out for him this offseason.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
In all fairness I do not think that the Bears counted on Long being as bad as he was. Even average level play at that position would have been an upgrade as to what we have had this season.

Best strategy is likely to upgrade at guard in free agency and try to find a tackle with one of our first 3 selections.

For those that dislike Pace, he sure has his work cut out for him this offseason.

His body is clearly shutting down from recovering and cant maintain the athleticism and strength he once had.