Upgrading the OL

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daniels and Whitehair are fine. Much better after the switch. Never switch them back.

Coward has been bad.

The OTs are mediocre. We need competition.

Meh, Whitehair is overrated. The only reason he looks decent is because the other 4 guys around him look terrible.

Leno might have talent but plays softer than baby poop and is a mental midget. He should be a backup.
Massie is almost as bad as Leno but doesn't get flagged as much so that's something I guess. Lucas isn't much better.
Daniels looks just as lost at LG as he did at C.
Coward plays with intensity but that's it. His whiffs have been brutal.

Pace has his work cut out for him. He needs to draft as much OL talent as he possible can. It's by far the biggest position in need of upgrade. But we also need an actual SS, and upgrades at TE and CB, and a new QB to develop under Mitch and provide competition so who the fuck knows.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
So do you start Bars in the final two games? I think that answer depends on your confidence in Trubisky as the starter for next year. What I mean is, if they feel they'll stick with Mitch as the starter next year (which at this point I think they have to), do they experiment with the line right now? I'd say go for it cuz it sure as hell is not a good line.

The outcome (experiment) of this will also allow Mitch to scramble and use his feet in the meantime. Plus, this can "hopefully" open up some holes for Montgomery so we can see what else he can do. I honestly think he can do great things with a decent, if not solid OLine.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Replace Kyle Long with one of our 2nd round picks and hope for the best.

The Bears are pretty limited in terms of options considering Leno and Massie just got new deals.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
2nd Round Pick -- OL
1 big name(ish) FA OL
1 vet FA

He's not going to be able to do much more than that.
There just simply isnt any cap space or picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Daniels and Whitehair are fine. Much better after the switch. Never switch them back.

Coward has been bad.

The OTs are mediocre. We need competition.
Coward seems like he'll get it but looks lost a lot. The blocking schemes aren't helping. These guys are taking each other out on some pulls and crosses. When you can't do these things well, stop trying to disguise everything and put a hat on the closest guy. We have a back that will find a crease if you can get your man off balance.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Replace Kyle Long with one of our 2nd round picks and hope for the best.

The Bears are pretty limited in terms of options considering Leno and Massie just got new deals.

The bad news is Long will retire a Bear. The good news is he's beat up enough he might be able to be talked into retiring.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Coward seems like he'll get it but looks lost a lot. The blocking schemes aren't helping. These guys are taking each other out on some pulls and crosses. When you can't do these things well, stop trying to disguise everything and put a hat on the closest guy. We have a back that will find a crease if you can get your man off balance.

But that isn’t the most coolest way, so Nagy wil keep shoving that square peg in the round hole until he goes comatose in shock that it’s not fitting.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest negative is that Leno and Massie's contracts were based on them continuing to play at a higher level than they are showing right now. We don't have a lot we can do without tieing up an unreasonably high percentage of cap in the O-Line area. I can't see them paying Leno and Massie to ride the bench with their cap numbers.

Scheme is in some part to blame yes, but Leno is playing consistently BAD all year. Tape Never Lies.
Massie not great, but Leno is just aweful. Not sure how he dropped off so much since his contract. Again, I pray that scheme change might help his cause?!? It's not just run blocking, pass pro is inconsistent too.

Money's already spent. Let these 2 ride the pine. Hard to be much worse TBH. While it sends a message, the most important part is to ensure that some reasonable facsimile of a run game is established. All season it's been just awful.

DM can & should be tearing it up.
75% of his yards are after contact last I read. Even with his ~3/carry average. Think about that.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
One saving grace with Mitch is he does take those bad snaps and make them look like no big deal. Constantly getting snaps over his head sometimes having to hop up to snag and still making the hand off to the RB. Or Sunday, surprise snap when you're checking out the defense. He smooths those out pretty seemlessly.

I haven't rewatched the game but I remember one play with 3 Bears flopping around on the ground like fish out of water. The tackles have been a liability all season but Sunday the guards were worse from my 1st viewing. We'll see after the all 22 gets watched.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
The tackles are a liability. Leno too many penalties and Massie contract is just too much.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
As mentioned earlier. Massie inside at RG is intriguing. Could possibly fix 2 positions by finding a good RT. I'm not a huge fan of flipping guys to different spots, but this might play to his strengths. I almost wonder if Lucas at RT and Massie at RG is a better right side than what has rolled out this year.

#graspingatstraws

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How many of the playoff teams would ether Leno or Massie to stat on?

Sea-Massie
GB-Nope
NO-Nope
SF-Nope
Min-Nope
Dal-Nope

Balt-Nope
NE-Nope
Buf-Nope
KC-Nope
Hou-Nope
Pit-Nope

Reactions: Myk

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
We pretty much need two new tackles, a guard and TE. , We're fucked right now and basically need a total rebuild of this line if we want to run the ball with any success next year

Reactions: Myk

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The easiest move this offseason is firing the most overrated position coach of all time.

Fuck Harry Hiestand.

DaGrizzler

Liked Posts:
The OL isn’t good.

Yesterday, on the road, in the cold, against a bad rush defense, that never had less than 5 DBs on the field.

The Bears averaged 2.9 yards per carry with runs to the running backs.
My off season upgrade plan:

Fire OL coach-- seems to be too much confusion in blocking schemes -- bad coaching.

Sign or trade for veteran C.

Draft RT.

Move Massie to RG.

Whitehair goes to LG.

Keep Leno at LT.

Danials fights to stay on team as backup.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
This has more to do with the types of runs called and in the sitiations they were called rather than the actual run blocking.

Matt Nagys run game is built only to catch teams in a pass defense and keep them honest. Its a gimmick. A gimmick. A gimmick.

How many fucking times does that have to be repeated.

It was again a 50 throw game on a guy throwing into a defense who could care less about committing to stopping the run.

Defensive coordinator from GB even said, "It's a passing league and we stop the pass first." Basically giving the formula to win right to Nagy. But Nagy overthinks it and makes the mistake of thinking he can beat them at their own game.

This is a pride issue. Pride is his greatest weakness.

This is the thing that calls me. Posters here say no team respects trubisky and they don’t respect the pass, they want to stop the run and force the bears to win with trubisky.

Oh yeah?? Then why the fuck did the pack spend the entire game in the nickel package?? There is 0 run game. They don’t have to give anyone to pass, they know Nagy has no run game and will pass regardless. This forces them to into a bad situation to start every single game.

I have not seen a single team sell out to beat the run all year. Not a single team.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Daniels is bad. Even after the swicth back to gaurd he has been getting his ass kicked in every game. Yesterday it was embarrassing how overrated he is.

Yup. It’s one thing to get your ass kicked by Aaron Donald, and it’s another thing to get your ass kicked every single week.

The OL sucks. No way around it. The tackles were average last year and have regressed to bottom 5. The interior is bottom 5 with how Daniels has played and with back ups rotating in at the other guard spot. The only saving grace is whitehair and he can’t even fucking snap the ball.

The bears need 1-2 absolutely dominant ass kickers to take this from being one of the weakest bunch of Nancy pants OL in the entire league. They’re soft.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
The OL isn’t good.

Yesterday, on the road, in the cold, against a bad rush defense, that never had less than 5 DBs on the field.

The Bears averaged 2.9 yards per carry with runs to the running backs.

I agree, the OL is in need of an upgrade. Same is true of the Tight End position, which is dreadful.

Much work to be done.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is a dime defense. Coward needs to block a DB in the box.

We lose yards.