Shaq Barrett

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Why Pace would get him if he could.

The defense drove the Bears to the playoffs in 2018 on defense and as much as Matt Nagy needs help on offense Pace needs to secure a playoff appearance in order to justify his decision making.

Khalil Mack was extremely effective but Floyd seems to be a bad fit and potential bust at OLB. 3 sacks is never going to cut it.

Shaq Barrett being signed by pace would give us an elite defense behind 2 of the best pass rushers in football and with a returning Akiem Hicks could become an absolutely unstoppable front 4 for a considerable amount of time.

Yes he is expensive but his impact if duplicable along with Hicks return would be scary to imagine. A defense that was 1st in every catagory slipped significantly after Hicks got injured.

Pace could potentially extend his tenure in Chicago with a #1 defense and a playoff birth.

With Barrett and Mack signed up for 5 years you'd have elite pass rushers for half a decade putting yourself in great position in every draft as elite pass rushers are scarce in the NFL.

Nagy would be a given draft picks to develop saving him from some scrutiny and Mitch might become the guy with his head on the chopping block come this season.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Barett is fool's gold. TB gonna re-sign him and he's gonna be a huge letdown.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Tampa is going to have $100mil in cap, they will resign or franchise for sure.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Tampa is going to have $100mil in cap, they will resign or franchise for sure.

Thats very likely. Barrett however might want to go to a winner. Tampa looks like a literal train wreck. If they do let him go which is unlikely it might be because they intend to fully rebuild.

My guess is you see the tag on him and they go for a sign and trade.

An elite defense could be Paces life saver. Barrett or Dupree could save his career in Chicago

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Can we please stop with the high price edge guys?

Having a quarter of your cap space devoted to two players playing a position that's not QB is not ideal.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Having a quarter of your cap space devoted to two players playing a position that's not QB is not ideal.

I know its a 5% chance. I even thought it was crazy.

But if Pace needs a playoff spot to keep his job it might be his best chance with defense. Rolling the dice on a multiple players like a Guard TE in FA and OT in the draft to play to their potential is way riskier than just getting a pass rusher and trying to be the #1 defense.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

If I told you make the playoffs or youre fired what would you do this offseason?

How would you guarantee you make it?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frame Mahomes in a “gf got punched” scenario and sign him after the chiefs cut him.

KC kept a guy that probably helped abuse his own kid......Mahomes could probably kill a few people before KC considered moving on.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Barett is fool's gold. TB gonna re-sign him and he's gonna be a huge letdown.
I agree. He is a good pass rusher that had a great season, but he is going to get way over paid and won’t live up to his contract. Good for him though. That’s the perk of showing out in a contract year.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
A lot of cash he’ll demand. Any OLBs that may slip to the 2nd that you’d like to take a chance on?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Especially when you dont have a QB

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Sure why not? Weed is legal in Chicago. Pipe Dreams.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
A lot of cash he’ll demand. Any OLBs that may slip to the 2nd that you’d like to take a chance on?

Okwara from ND is a heads up big time playmaker.

Football player kind of guy. 2nd round grade. Could go early 2nd.

By that i mezn he knows what to do hes not just an athlete.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Why Pace would get him if he could.

The defense drove the Bears to the playoffs in 2018 on defense and as much as Matt Nagy needs help on offense Pace needs to secure a playoff appearance in order to justify his decision making.

Khalil Mack was extremely effective but Floyd seems to be a bad fit and potential bust at OLB. 3 sacks is never going to cut it.

Shaq Barrett being signed by pace would give us an elite defense behind 2 of the best pass rushers in football and with a returning Akiem Hicks could become an absolutely unstoppable front 4 for a considerable amount of time.

Yes he is expensive but his impact if duplicable along with Hicks return would be scary to imagine. A defense that was 1st in every catagory slipped significantly after Hicks got injured.

Pace could potentially extend his tenure in Chicago with a #1 defense and a playoff birth.

With Barrett and Mack signed up for 5 years you'd have elite pass rushers for half a decade putting yourself in great position in every draft as elite pass rushers are scarce in the NFL.

Nagy would be a given draft picks to develop saving him from some scrutiny and Mitch might become the guy with his head on the chopping block come this season.

Barrett isn't getting out of Tampa. No way. We had our chance to sign him in FA last season and Pace blew that one.

I'd like to see Pace make a run at Matt Judon in FA and draft Alex Highsmith in the 4th or 5th round. Lose Leonard Floyd if he doesn't commit to a 4 year 28m a year deal (7m a season) and the waste of space that is Aaron Lynch. If possible I'd try and top up the OLB ranks by signing Jeremiah Attaochu on a cheap deal as well.

I think Judon is likely going to be asking for $10-13m a season. I'd be interested in him at $10-11m a season.

Vernon Butler is someone else I want the Bears to go after. Potential heir apparent to Hicks (who sadly won't last forever) and someone in the right scheme (with the right attitude) who could be devastating. This money would come from not re-signing Trevathan or Kwiatkoski. You have to make cuts somewhere. I'd roll with Roquan + KPL, Zach Brown or a draft pick and Iggy.

Imagine how devastating this DL would be - Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Butler, Judon. This is perfectly doable as long as Judon doesn't get crazy money elsewhere.

Johnny Flash

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

And here I thought the Bears would operate in a 3-4 with #52 lined up as OLB, which would actually not make him a part of the front 3, but what do I know? I'm just here minding my own business...

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
And here I thought the Bears would operate in a 3-4 with #52 lined up as OLB, which would actually not make him a part of the front 3, but what do I know? I'm just here minding my own business...

He's mostly coming from a down stance and usually 4 players rush regardless of 34 or 43. Im not gonna argue this bullshit with you.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get what you're saying Chris,

But, decisions shouldn't be made out of desperation. Esp. when there's so many unknowns.

There's several very known team-killing gaping bleeding out death wounds on the OL. This team can't survive with bottom 3 run game, total predictability, and shit Pass Pro. I HATE they have to double down resources on OL, but Hicks will be back. D were killing it til his elbow went backwards.

Gotta hit on a Safety on the cheap too & pray Tolliver is startable. I'd love Travathan back too, but KPL could save more coin.

Several needs popping up quickly. Hard to bet the farm on an overkill DL that when healthy is already fuggin awesome.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Thats very likely. Barrett however might want to go to a winner. Tampa looks like a literal train wreck. If they do let him go which is unlikely it might be because they intend to fully rebuild.

My guess is you see the tag on him and they go for a sign and trade.

An elite defense could be Paces life saver. Barrett or Dupree could save his career in Chicago
Bears are technically not winners