Free Agent QB Discussion

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sources: Brad Biggs says Mariota isn't an option for the Bears in free agency. Trubisky and Mariota share the same agent. "It's an absolute nonstarter for the Bears."
oh no, not the same agent.

Thats a great non-football reason to make decisions. I like where our heads at.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I know I sound like a broken record but I will be surprised if the Bears invest in anything other than a solid backup for Trubisky.

Trubs is pretty affordable next year and that is his biggest asset right now. No need to pay 10 million or more for a marginal upgrade when that money is better spent improving other positions on the team.

Address the QB situation in the 2021 draft with full draft capital.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty much the same type QB anyway. Aim higher FFS
the other side of that is you get two bullets with the same installed system. If you are going to build a system special for Trubs abilities its nice to have a back-up who doesn't change it when they step in. Seemless.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
the other side of that is you get two bullets with the same installed system. If you are going to build a system special for Trubs abilities its nice to have a back-up who doesn't change it when they step in. Seemless.
If you build a system special for Trubisky's abilities, you just need invest in a real good punter.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you build a system special for Trubisky's abilities, you just need invest in a real good punter.
Might I suggest Ben Rothlesberger then?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might I suggest Ben Rothlesberger then?
You might. Can he stay healthy? I don't think so at this point. Plans on playing just a few more years anyway. Bridgewater the only FA I'd take a chance on. Get a sense he's put his big injury behind him and is ready to be a very good QB and is still very young.

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:

It isn't their decision - the agent would never do it LOL - you hire an agent, then they have one of their other clients come after your job? Not gonna have both for long. Bad Business.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I don't think Biggs said that right. It's almost certainly on the agent to not want 2 clients that want long-term deals as starters on the same team. Only 1 can start, the other gets screwed. If Trubisky is the QB all year and plays well.....he gets a big payday, and Mariota is searching for a backup job again. If Trubisky is benched and Mariota plays well......Mariota gets paid and Trubisky is searching for backup money.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well Brady and Big Ben...there might be TWO punters available to support Trubisky.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Biggs said that right. It's almost certainly on the agent to not want 2 clients that want long-term deals as starters on the same team. Only 1 can start, the other gets screwed. If Trubisky is the QB all year and plays well.....he gets a big payday, and Mariota is searching for a backup job again. If Trubisky is benched and Mariota plays well......Mariota gets paid and Trubisky is searching for backup money.
or...you send both of your prized clients to Chicago where QB's and WR's die. Brilliant.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know I sound like a broken record but I will be surprised if the Bears invest in anything other than a solid backup for Trubisky.

Trubs is pretty affordable next year and that is his biggest asset right now. No need to pay 10 million or more for a marginal upgrade when that money is better spent improving other positions on the team.

Address the QB situation in the 2021 draft with full draft capital.
It sucks so bad that you are right. With the exception of Bridgewater, there isn't anything out there other than a stop gap guy. Use 2020 to build up the line and get a TE, then address it in the 2021 draft when we actually have some draft capital.

2020 gonna be a lame duck season.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
2020 gonna be a lame duck season.

There is a good chance it isn't. I have been telling everyone that I am interested to see this team with 2 better OL and one more pass rusher. That's 3 guys. You can do that in an offseason.

Look at the Titans. 9-7. 1 game away from the superbowl.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is a good chance it isn't. I have been telling everyone that I am interested to see this team with 2 better OL and one more pass rusher. That's 3 guys. You can do that in an offseason.

Look at the Titans. 9-7. 1 game away from the superbowl.
I think you are forgetting the whole Mitch Trubisky would be the starter in that scenario. Unless the defense returns to 2018 form, I do not see it. After watching these playoff games, Mitch is no where near the level he needs to be to compete in those games. Not even close.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Calling it now:

Blake Bortles.

why?

1. Cheap
2. Experienced
3. Fits the Tannehill model so many are pushing.
4. And most importantly..... why settle for Bortles 2.0 on your roster when you can sign the real McCoy?

search your hearts Bears fans. This idea is terrible.... so you know it’s got a chance.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think you are forgetting the whole Mitch Trubisky would be the starter in that scenario. Unless the defense returns to 2018 form, I do not see it. After watching these playoff games, Mitch is no where near the level he needs to be to compete in those games. Not even close.

Ryan Tannehill has thrown for like 150 yards combined in 2 games.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
That makes sense, unless both of the QB's go tell the agent that they don't care about being on the same team. Not having Mariota as an option because he and Mitch have the same agent is one of those things that says, "this is a business", because the decision isn't even possible because of who the players agent is. I'm really for Pace skipping the high priced Vet backup then. Use a draft pick for the backup QB, and the Cap space for TE, OG, ILB.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Calling it now:

Blake Bortles.

why?

1. Cheap
2. Experienced
4. And most importantly..... why settle for Bortles 2.0 on your roster when you can sign the real McCoy?

search your hearts Bears fans. This idea is terrible.... so you know it’s got a chance.
Sort of like a time travel thing. Well see Blake Bortles in the past and Blake Bortles in the future. So we'll really know if Mitch Bortles isn't part of the future.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Calling it now:

Blake Bortles.

why?

1. Cheap
2. Experienced

He’s no longer under contract with the Rams?

I think you might be on to something.