Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, probably.

I don't grow any tubers. That's my problem.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just gonna put some impatiens in my planter boxes again.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pepper Seedlings.jpg

:fap:

Sweet Banana, Cayenne, Jalapeno and Serrano peppers are sprouting! Dug the area for the garden boxes and put garden soil in the boxes today. Probably another week or so before the peppers are transplanted outside.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Gonna make salsa pops :D.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Gnona try an indoor seed-starter this year. tried last year and had very little luck. Just doing Peppers this year. Any tips?

I have germinated seeds using a variety of methods, and the best I found for both seeds and cuttings were jiffy peat pellets along with the included humidity dome. I also use a heating mat to maintain temps around 78.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
thinned out the peppers today. Hopefully can be planted next week! woo!

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Here's the garden boxes before they were filled w/ soil, the garden in it's infancy, and today one of my tomato plants bloomed :D

garden.jpggarden 2.jpggarden 3.jpg

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
we are growing some kale, corn, and roma tomatoes. every summer my wife insists on putting 2 tomato plants in the same pot and I'm convinced that's why they never end up growing

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Reactions: X

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
PS, I think urban agriculture is way more than a trendy hipster prepper thing now more than ever. We've successfully lobbied our municipality here in Brookfield to allow chicken cooping for eggs and are going to push for milking goats to be legal this year. Anybody else into this shit? I'm a couple of years out from relocating to a rural property permanently but think it's important to see seeds now. Cool neighbors is not enough. Why do we need to fight the man on backyard homesteading?

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nice setup. I got 40 to 50 peppers a day off of a similar setup last season, even with the drought. I'm expecting big things this season in Brookfield.

without knowing what kind of peppers you were growing -- a drought may not have been the absolute worst thing for them...As I'm sure you know, being a plant originally seeded in hotter climates, they can go a cpl days without ANY water and in direct sunlight and still produce. I'm actually over-watering the banana pepper plants seen on the far left of the 2nd picture...stems are turning black. Gotta remember that just b/c they're by the tomato plants, they don't need NEAR as much water - lol.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
without knowing what kind of peppers you were growing -- a drought may not have been the absolute worst thing for them...As I'm sure you know, being a plant originally seeded in hotter climates, they can go a cpl days without ANY water and in direct sunlight and still produce. I'm actually over-watering the banana pepper plants seen on the far left of the 2nd picture...stems are turning black. Gotta remember that just b/c they're by the tomato plants, they don't need NEAR as much water - lol.

I was low key, just Jalapenos and you are right, tomatoes suffered way more than peppers. More than anything though, we didn't have enough heat to get those things to turn red. This season should be pretty hot and I'm looking forward to it.

Any chance of sticky for this thread?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
gardening snobbes... I just want to know how many tomato plants is too many for one pot?!!!!? :D

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now that it quit raining it's time to get busy. Started the tiller today and we are good to go.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
gardening snobbes... I just want to know how many tomato plants is too many for one pot?!!!!? :D

One per pot. No snobbery from me, this shit is not easy. So many plants and variables beyond your control, it's like thunderdome out there.

You might want to look into vertical gardening though, Ole. Pay a crackhead in the Fulton Market district 10 bucks a palate and get to work:

032511_Pallet-Completed-430x300.jpg

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was low key, just Jalapenos and you are right, tomatoes suffered way more than peppers. More than anything though, we didn't have enough heat to get those things to turn red. This season should be pretty hot and I'm looking forward to it.

Any chance of sticky for this thread?

Yeah -- if the thread gets enough traffic, I can sticky it. Now that I have a phone w/ the capabilities, I figure I'll snap a pic or two every week or so to upload on here...if you and others contribute regularly -- I'll def. stick it.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One per pot. No snobbery from me, this shit is not easy. So many plants and variables beyond your control, it's like thunderdome out there.

You might want to look into vertical gardening though, Ole. Pay a crackhead in the Fulton Market district 10 bucks a palate and get to work:

032511_Pallet-Completed-430x300.jpg

that's a good idea. We have a porch -- no yard. But we were able to grow some big-ass corn on it, or at least, my wife was able to

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
that's a good idea. We have a porch -- no yard. But we were able to grow some big-ass corn on it, or at least, my wife was able to

That's awesome. I'm a corn hater because a company that will remain unnamed because we don't need themfucking up this forum. (worked briefly for M when I did PR and they aggressively monitor webz lol conspiracy theory style) but corn for eating is good I guess. How u grew that on a porch is cool shit.

If u want to multipot with tomatoes, basil and onions work well.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
does it end with o? Fuckers. I'm not a corn fan but my wife is and it blocked the neighbors, so I was all for it. We will try the basil and onions idea. We were growing basil in a separate planter