Gardening

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
My Etesia's tracking shows delivery for the morning. I can't wait. However, I might have to wait, with this surge of storms(although I've read this is an amazing wet-grass mower.)

I must be getting old. Looking forward to a lawnmower and cutting grass(which I think is one of the most idiotic social standards).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think they got a fungus. Gonna scrap them tomorow and start over. Hoping for a years worth of pickles outta this harvest but the plants look sickly.

oh well, at least I stopped rabbit vs cabbage 2013 with great success.

Fungus = acidic soil. Bring up that pH a little with some lime. Of course, check the pH too, it should be balanced for cucumbers, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Over-acidic soil will mold/fungus, regardless of what you grow, and it's often an indicator that you might be a bit out of ideal tolerance. I'm sure if you tried again, it might grow, because cucumbers are forgiving, but since it's such an easy fix, not a bad idea to minimize risk to maximize output.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will post in here to update progress (and no, not a drug dealer...a professional contact involved in the selling / charitable organizations dealing with sustainability / urban farming related to hydroponic growing systems).

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fungus = acidic soil. Bring up that pH a little with some lime. Of course, check the pH too, it should be balanced for cucumbers, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Over-acidic soil will mold/fungus, regardless of what you grow, and it's often an indicator that you might be a bit out of ideal tolerance. I'm sure if you tried again, it might grow, because cucumbers are forgiving, but since it's such an easy fix, not a bad idea to minimize risk to maximize output.

Could be it, I do have four pine trees in the back yard, but my squash in the same bed is all good. I know comes are testy though. Thanks, I'll see to checking the Ph this weekend.

Btw, is it safe to assume u possess lawncare wisdom, given u have purchased a boutique mower and all? I want my clover to eradicate my grassand creeping Charley mix. Is that even possible? My lawn is so 'rustic' lol.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Could be it, I do have four pine trees in the back yard, but my squash in the same bed is all good. I know comes are testy though. Thanks, I'll see to checking the Ph this weekend.

Btw, is it safe to assume u possess lawncare wisdom, given u have purchased a boutique mower and all? I want my clover to eradicate my grassand creeping Charley mix. Is that even possible? My lawn is so 'rustic' lol.

If the clover is blossoming white flowers, then you have a nitrogen balance issue. Other than that, treat clovers like weeds, and try to knock each base out, one at a time(chemically, or ripping out that patch, and then filling it with the right sod for your lawn). If you're getting your gardens ready, then you'll likely have enough home-sod patches in unwanted areas to cover the few spots. But if you have a lot, then it's a major project.

Personally, if the clover isn't flowering like crazy, I wouldn't care. Clovers are more beneficial to gardeners, than grass.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If the clover is blossoming white flowers, then you have a nitrogen balance issue. Other than that, treat clovers like weeds, and try to knock each base out, one at a time(chemically, or ripping out that patch, and then filling it with the right sod for your lawn). If you're getting your gardens ready, then you'll likely have enough home-sod patches in unwanted areas to cover the few spots. But if you have a lot, then it's a major project.

Personally, if the clover isn't flowering like crazy, I wouldn't care. Clovers are more beneficial to gardeners, than grass.

I think you heard me wrong. I want my clover to take over my lawn. I have shitty grass mixed with creeping charlie, and I want the clover to be primary groundcover...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think you heard me wrong. I want my clover to take over my lawn. I have shitty grass mixed with creeping charlie, and I want the clover to be primary groundcover...

Yeah, I erroneously read eradicate in participle. My bad.

Same answer. Nitrogen balance issue. :D Too much or way too little = clover heaven. I don't toss my used coffee and tea into the trash, I just chuck it into a compost pile, or throw it over my lawn. Theres other stuff you can do to encourage clovers, IDK though, it depends on a few things. Good luck, as it might take a few years to get them to grow as you hope.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Garden update: Added a 5th box to transplant peppers I didn't anticipate coming up, and added a row of broccoli. Also have two patches of blooms on my topsy-turvy tomato plant, one patch on one of the ground tomato plants, and one of my banana pepper plants started to bloom :fap:

View attachment 1250View attachment 1251View attachment 1252

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What are these damn little red bugs all around my garden/porch? about the size of a pin-head, bright red...are they spider mites? and are they harmful to my plants?

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
edit: wrong damn thread.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
edit: wrong damn thread.

If there's an inside joke here that I missed... well...

:whoosh:

ANYWAYS.......

What are these damn little red bugs all around my garden/porch? about the size of a pin-head, bright red...are they spider mites? and are they harmful to my plants?

Dunno, but every few years I'll spread boric acid(fairly cheap, found in hardware stores, comes in powder form, harmless if you take very basic precautions) in strategic places. If they are harmful, then you'll significantly decrease infestation of certain insects and arachnoids. At a bare minimum, you can divert the migration outside of your home. Every 4 years, I do the wall perimeter of my house, and keep some handy, if I see ants starting to hide out in my garage.

If you boric acid around your garden, ONLY do light dusting to the exterior borders. I have to double check, but I think it's harmful to hornets, and while hornets are annoying, they still are beneficial to your garden. So basically, try your best to spot the nest(of anything that you can confirm as a pest) and dust that, while avoiding the bulk of your openings.

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If there's an inside joke here that I missed... well...

:whoosh:

ANYWAYS.......

Dunno, but every few years I'll spread boric acid(fairly cheap, found in hardware stores, comes in powder form, harmless if you take very basic precautions) in strategic places. If they are harmful, then you'll significantly decrease infestation of certain insects and arachnoids. At a bare minimum, you can divert the migration outside of your home. Every 4 years, I do the wall perimeter of my house, and keep some handy, if I see ants starting to hide out in my garage.

If you boric acid around your garden, ONLY do light dusting to the exterior borders. I have to double check, but I think it's harmful to hornets, and while hornets are annoying, they still are beneficial to your garden. So basically, try your best to spot the nest(of anything that you can confirm as a pest) and dust that, while avoiding the bulk of your openings.

Thanks for the advice -- and no, no inside joke. I posted something intended for the Cubs IST here, b/c I forgot which thread I had opened. :lol:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
apologies to the experts with yards clique here (and also thanks, am learning a lot), but we are pretty thrilled that our kale is growing, let alone surviving, after 2 weeks in our parking lot porch.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
apologies to the experts with yards clique here (and also thanks, am learning a lot), but we are pretty thrilled that our kale is growing, let alone surviving, after 2 weeks in our parking lot porch.

photo.JPG

Dats sum nice kale. Also, my yard is shit tier. It is such work because its sucha uncontrolled environment. My goal is to make it naturally beautiful, which my neighbors will scoff at because they got the whole 'golf green' aesthetic going on. If i had the finances i would eliminate grass altogether in my front and back yard.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Also,ole, it looks like the pot to the right could use a tad more soil...