Blackhawks trade Artem Anisimov to Senators for Zack Smith

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://www.secondcityhockey.com/20...v-ottawa-senators-zack-smith-nhl-transactions

Blackhawks trade Artem Anisimov to Senators for Zack Smith

Chicago saves $1.3 million in salary cap space with the deal.

By Brandon M. Cain@brandonmcain Jul 16, 2019, 1:57pm CDT

NHL: Chicago Blackhawks at San Jose Sharks

Stan Szeto-USA TODAY Sports

The Blackhawks and Senators swapped veteran centers Tuesday, with Artem Anisimov heading to Ottawa while Zack Smith makes his way to Chicago.
Smith, 31, had 28 points (nine goals, 19 assists) with a 44.6 Corsi For rating at even strength and won 49.1 percent of his faceoffs last season in 70 games. He plays a heavy game as a power forward at center or left wing.

The 2008 third-round pick has 193 points (94 goals, 99 assists) and a 50.7 faceoff percentage in 612 NHL games, all with the Senators, and nine points (two goals, seven assists) in 45 playoff games. He has two seasons left on his four-year contract worth $3,250,000 with a 10-team no-trade clause.
Anisimov scored at least 15 goals and 31 points in four seasons with the Blackhawks after he was acquired in June 2015 when the Blackhawks sent Brandon Saad to the Blue Jackets. Anisimov eclipsed the 20-goal and 40-point marks in each of his first two seasons with the Blackhawks while playing with wingers Artemi Panarin and Patrick Kane, but saw his offensive production dip once Panarin was dealt to Columbus.
Anisimov, also 31, signed a five-year extension with Chicago the day after he was acquired that included two years of a no-movement clause and a modified no-trade clause of 10 teams he could be traded to for the 2018-19 season. Once the Blackhawks paid out his $2 million signing bonuses and the NTC expired, Anisimov and his $4.55 million annual salary cap hit were traded to Ottawa.

Chicago saves $1.3 million in cap space with the move, which they can could use to re-sign winger Brendan Perlini.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tater all over it

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Bowman playing madden this season

I don’t remember the last time a team has made this many trades

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Called it

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is one of those classic Stan moves where I just want to ask him what the fuck did he accomplish and for what cost?

I get it...he increase his face-off percentage by 15% on one line. He probably can project Smith gets more points by nature of being on the Hawks than AA gets on the Senators. Ok...

But at the cost of extending the AA contract issue another year when you have Kampf/Carpenter and then Dach/Kurashev coming.

Why make it harder to sign Lehner/Strome/Cat/Perlini in 12 months?

Perhaps he views Smith as more trade-able when they need to, and for a little cost risk he cheapened the movement price of his 3rd center albatross mistake?

Overall I like it, just the second year makes me cringe after drafting Dach, needing to sign Strome, and having Kurashev/Carpenter/Kampf

I guess I can calm down and let it play out. We can win some damn faceoffs now and move people from the crease now and for years to come in the pipeline. Thank fucking god.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is one of those classic Stan moves where I just want to ask him what the fuck did he accomplish and for what cost?

I get it...he increase his face-off percentage by 15% on one line. He probably can project Smith gets more points by nature of being on the Hawks than AA gets on the Senators. Ok...

But at the cost of extending the AA contract issue another year when you have Kampf/Carpenter and then Dach/Kurashev coming.

Why make it harder to sign Lehner/Strome/Cat/Perlini in 12 months?

Perhaps he views Smith as more trade-able when they need to, and for a little cost risk he cheapened the movement price of his 3rd center albatross mistake?

Overall I like it, just the second year makes me cringe after drafting Dach, needing to sign Strome, and having Kurashev/Carpenter/Kampf

I guess I can calm down and let it play out. We can win some damn faceoffs now and move people from the crease now and for years to come in the pipeline. Thank fucking god.
The savings allow them to sign perlini now easily. The only way this doesn't make sense stupid contract to perlini now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The savings allow them to sign perlini now easily. The only way this doesn't make sense stupid contract to perlini now.

Well...I thought about it...old Rask with CTE and too many drugs diffused through the pulmonary tissue sometimes needs a moment to react poorly for not much rhyme or reason and get back to you.

Yeah...

PLAYOFFS.

If Panarin was considered soft in the playoffs here...AA was fucking toilet paper.

I apreciate who AA was and exactly what he became on a line with Kane(who could buy anybody 2 seconds if that was all they needed)...

For one...I've been harping one way to reverse Corsi regression we have seen is to win more damn face-offs. So...this off-season, with not only the action we have seen but the GM named and expressed intent to do something about,

What don't I see here? We got more physical, we won more face-offs...

and we bought up Perlini who is also more physical than his replacement would likely be. (Sikura, Nylander, Saarella)....

and the best reason of all...

is we probably improved the playoff translation for style of play here...despite being stuck somewhere he only saw one post-season I believe...the guy because he is strong can step up instead of get lost in front of a clogged up net front traffic.

So, yes Stan. He showed he is not afraid to let the contracts play out and that he acquired a moveable piece in all likelihood as other teams are looking for the same traits the Blackhawks were when they dug up Smith.

This is an interesting camp, and I think, interesting year to follow rockford with the potential call-up at first injury. I'm interested to see who starts scoring down there with who, and very interested to see Kubalik and Kurashev at camp who excelled on their national teams.

Wedin is a Colloton guy, from overseas, competing with Entwhistle as a potential physical presense guy I believe. 200 feet of lets go.

Caligula (I know, thats my nickname for him)....

and Shaw, and Toews might be fiesty but they still need some muscle to stand up behind them and back it up.

Maybe Entwhystle can be that guy for a season until Dach gets here. I think Dach will prove to be freak strong/farm strong.

the guy has a skeleton advantage. He is a monster. He will wreck fools and for years. If we end up keeping Kaner as a career guy, and why wouldn't we do everything we can? ... what they just drafted is the guy to retire Kane in green pastures with promise of no steep decline and constant mental stimulation on a top NHL line.

I like Byram, and it sucks a rival has him, but Dach is going to be a Kane line stalwart to finish the guys record breaking career solid and make sure this is a show in Chicago.

Maybe he plays for the Blades for one more year, and I get that, but the guy will excel at entries and be a physical nuisance for Kanes twilight years.

Cat-Dach-Kane is going to be something to behold. His body is NHL 99th percentile day 1 to day 5000. so I believe with Toews coaching him he will be to 50% faceoffs for the long haul once he gets there.

(And I want to defend AA too!! That he won a cup, scored some play-off goals, and his decline to me began in a game against the Predators, I think about 9/10's of the way through 2016? was it? or 17'? when he got cheap shotted to the back of the knee, and ended up missing time and playing gingerly in the play-offs and Panarin took blame for it too. But AA was actually attacked along the boards with a dirty fucking shot to the back of the knee and for me he was never the same after that. I don't know...thats just what I saw, and I forget if it was Johansson, or Suppan, or Aarvidson or somebody like that that did it, but he missed 3 weeks and a couple playoff games I think and it through us off right after we had been looking real solid. AA was on a beast line at that point and it just never materialized again totally even though he did get back, and he did have some further magic harrassing in front of net for Kane who allowed him to get there)

Last edited:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dach makes the team coming out now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dach makes the team coming out now.

You think man?

This team looks hard to make. But if he is the second coming of Shane Mathews...how can you say no?

Toews needs to coach him up to 40% face-offs in 3 months. He looks to have the will...and the pedigree, I don't doubt it.

With Strome around I certainly don't see that Cat-Dach-Kane connection much this year, but in time I think it will be an inevitable combination when the Hawks need a goal.

Gene1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You think man?

This team looks hard to make. But if he is the second coming of Shane Mathews...how can you say no?

Toews needs to coach him up to 40% face-offs in 3 months. He looks to have the will...and the pedigree, I don't doubt it.

With Strome around I certainly don't see that Cat-Dach-Kane connection much this year, but in time I think it will be an inevitable combination when the Hawks need a goal.

I think he's got a great shot at making it. He's turning a lot of heads at the prospect camp (which I realise means little), and everyone in the orginization has said he has every chance of starting the season in Chicago rather than Rockford. Rumors still suggest we'll move Perlini at some point.

On topic, I'm pretty meh about moving Anisimov, I feel like we've been trying to trade him for the last 2 years now. I mean if we are convinced Dach makes the squad to start the season, then I just don't really see where Anisimov would fit in.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
What will the blackhawks do with a forward who plays a heavy game? Remember Carbomb even tried to turn into a finesse player?
Seems like we have been waiting years to move AA. I dont think we had anyone better at the net while he was here, it was just getting him to the net that seemed troublesome because it always looked like all they were doing was chasing pucks before he got in position there. He really never recovered at the dot after that wrist injury.

I sure hope that puts Dach on the third line and Smith on the fourth if they are going to allow a heavy game, too bad Martinson and Hayden wont be there to bash with him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think he's got a great shot at making it. He's turning a lot of heads at the prospect camp (which I realise means little), and everyone in the orginization has said he has every chance of starting the season in Chicago rather than Rockford. Rumors still suggest we'll move Perlini at some point.

On topic, I'm pretty meh about moving Anisimov, I feel like we've been trying to trade him for the last 2 years now. I mean if we are convinced Dach makes the squad to start the season, then I just don't really see where Anisimov would fit in.
Dach can't go to Rockford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The additions of Carpenter and Smith...signify a Dach vs Kampf battle for 3C, but lets not leave Kurashev out of the picture.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
So now you have two guys that will finish checks in Shaw and Smith.
I like the Smith add, but I'm not sure where he's going to be slotted ATM.
It looks like there's going to be one super-line this season with three energy lines, so better hope 88 and 19 have career years in points again.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know, it almost feels like Caggula might get moved since he was a cheaper version of a Shaw. I cant see them playing together, it was almost the hayden or martinsen deal last year. I doubt they will be able to healthy scratch Shaw enough to get Jewels some games either though.

Not saying its a problem, just that it would be nice to have a spot for Kurashev and Dach to play for. It just seems like the regular Blackhawk camp of no openings, when we should be seeing some infusion of young talent. I think resigning Perlini means nobody makes the squad.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So now you have two guys that will finish checks in Shaw and Smith.
I like the Smith add, but I'm not sure where he's going to be slotted ATM.
It looks like there's going to be one super-line this season with three energy lines, so better hope 88 and 19 have career years in points again.
Well well well... lookie here.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to go out into the world tonight and find a goddamn ass-hole that smells and tastes like sweet punch stained with a faint dash of turds...

mmmmmm

bitches beware.