Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Evidence of what exactly? There was a lot going on in those quotes.
1000 concerts. Roughly 40 a year. (1000/25 = 40) That’s bad ass. I may have when to 1 a year in average

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1000 concerts. Roughly 40 a year. (1000/25 = 40) That’s bad ass. I may have when to 1 a year in average

Oh.

I spent a decade working as an "assistant engineer" for a ton of festival shows in the 90s. Basically a glorified roadie, but less work for better pay. I worked Lollapalooza 92-96 when it was still a touring festival. OzzFest 97-2000. Warped tour and even that Lilith Fest for partial legs of their tours.

Got in on some US tours with a single act, but it was the festivals that really paid well because there were multiple stages to set up.
I got hooked up to do Woodstock 94 and because the whole thing was backed by Pepsi...I made 6K in four days.

So between business and pleasure...I had to have hit a thousand before the Bears hired Lovie Smith.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One of the funniest concert experiences I ever had was Metallica in 88 with Faith No More opening for them.
The crowd wanted metallica and were pretty rough on FNM.
End of their set comes, You expected them to encore with "epic".
the crowd was being shitty, pretty much quiet for a concert and a ton of boos, then the metallica chant started.

The bass player comes back on stage and sits down on a monitor, and proceeds to spend ten minutes intermittently plucking an open string.

Friggin hilarious.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One of the funniest concert experiences I ever had was Metallica in 88 with Faith No More opening for them.
The crowd wanted metallica and were pretty rough on FNM.
End of their set comes, You expected them to encore with "epic".
the crowd was being shitty, pretty much quiet for a concert and a ton of boos, then the metallica chant started.

The bass player comes back on stage and sits down on a monitor, and proceeds to spend ten minutes intermittently plucking an open string.

Friggin hilarious.

Bill Gould was by far and away the best bass player playing at that concert, that's for sure. FNM were a great band. Saw them on the Angel Dust tour with L7 opening. One of my favorite early 90s American bands.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bill Gould was by far and away the best bass player playing at that concert, that's for sure. FNM were a great band. Saw them on the Angel Dust tour with L7 opening. One of my favorite early 90s American bands.

Word.

Mike Patton may be my favorite living rock front man. The range on his voice is insane. Been a huge fan since the Mr. Bungle days.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember that. "Freakmomma" had crossover appeal, too.

That was a great soundtrack for such a bad movie.

Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill did a track together...I don't know what reality that took place in, but I would love it visit it more often.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
That was a great soundtrack for such a bad movie.

Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill did a track together...I don't know what reality that took place in, but I would love it visit it more often.

The dumbest part of it was the Onyx/Biohazard song became the 'big hit' from the soundtrack, and it was probably the worst song of the group.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The dumbest part of it was the Onyx/Biohazard song became the 'big hit' from the soundtrack, and it was probably the worst song of the group.

That did get a lot of radio play...didn't it?

I really liked the track by Teenage Fanclub who went on to do virtually nothing. It was a good early 90s indie rock track that De La Soul hijacks a the mid point. The simplicity of it works better than most the tracks that felt a little forced at the time.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mumford and Sons in Madison this past March or Nathanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats last September.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, Ive seen a lot of concerts but not as many as VU. In no order:

BB King at House of Blues in Vegas in early 2000s. Never seen so many grown men weep like that.
Vintage Trouble. I got dragged to a Dixie Chicks concert by my wife and they opened. Great licks and the energy was through the roof.
DMB-an ever changing setlist and the songs are always morphing and the jams always change. They've lost a lot of their luster but they still put on a good show. #41 on Listener Supported is still one of my all time favorites.
NIN-melt your face off.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Word.

Mike Patton may be my favorite living rock front man. The range on his voice is insane. Been a huge fan since the Mr. Bungle days.
I am assuming the qualifier "living" is leaving room for Freddie mercury or Prince?
Just a wild guess. Mercury gets my vote for talent and showmanship. Dude was a born rock star.

Shockingly to myself, I really grew to like sebastian Bach from skid row as a front man.
I always though skid row was for pussies when I was in high school, but saw them several times with other bands.
They never failed to sound great and Bach always put on one fuck of a show.

Like the group or not, the guy has a crystal clear voice with power and range and can growl with the best of em.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am assuming the qualifier "living" is leaving room for Freddie mercury or Prince?
Just a wild guess. Mercury gets my vote for talent and showmanship. Dude was a born rock star.

Shockingly to myself, I really grew to like sebastian Bach from skid row as a front man.
I always though skid row was for pussies when I was in high school, but saw them several times with other bands.
They never failed to sound great and Bach always put on one fuck of a show.

Like the group or not, the guy has a crystal clear voice with power and range and can growl with the best of em.

The "living" qualifier actually was specifically for Freddie Mercury. I saw Queen when I was in High School. I liked some of their songs, but really only went because I was trying to hook up with a girl that was going.

I really wanted to say that show was the best just because Freddie was a force of nature on stage. Brian May and the rest of the band are great, but Freddie was special. The best rock frontman ever.

Only one I thought came close to Freddie Mercury as a stage presence was Axl Rose.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Talking Heads. Twice. Once in 1982, they opened for the Police. Just the 4 heads, scaled down. I wasn't a big Police fan, but Stewart Copland was very entertaining, and is a hell of a drummer.

Second was the following year. Basically the Stop Making Sense concert, where Byrne came out with a boombox and did Psycho Killer, then Tina Weymouth joined him for a Heaven duo, and each member came out for each successive song, until there were about 12 of them on stage. Chills as a 16 year old.

I have been to better shows musically, but for concerts with crowds more than 2000, the Heads take it for me. Peter Gabriel at Pine Knob a close second.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please tell me if someone knows. Just need a way to do it yourself, without calling the pest control. Or is this not possible in principle?

iu

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The "living" qualifier actually was specifically for Freddie Mercury. I saw Queen when I was in High School. I liked some of their songs, but really only went because I was trying to hook up with a girl that was going.

I really wanted to say that show was the best just because Freddie was a force of nature on stage. Brian May and the rest of the band are great, but Freddie was special. The best rock frontman ever.

Only one I thought came close to Freddie Mercury as a stage presence was Axl Rose.

I just assumed so.

In regards to Mercury- I realize everyone has their own opinions and whatnot, and I try to respect them.
But anyone who says there is a better front man than Freddie Mercury... they are wrong. :)

It would take a shit-ton of justification for me to begin thinking any other answer is valid.

...and I am not especially a huge fan of Queen- they were great, but they have never been on heavy rotation for me. The dude was just the epitome of a rock front man.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Oh.

I spent a decade working as an "assistant engineer" for a ton of festival shows in the 90s. Basically a glorified roadie, but less work for better pay. I worked Lollapalooza 92-96 when it was still a touring festival. OzzFest 97-2000. Warped tour and even that Lilith Fest for partial legs of their tours.

Got in on some US tours with a single act, but it was the festivals that really paid well because there were multiple stages to set up.
I got hooked up to do Woodstock 94 and because the whole thing was backed by Pepsi...I made 6K in four days.

So between business and pleasure...I had to have hit a thousand before the Bears hired Lovie Smith.

My buddy was the DP on “We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll” working for Penelope Spheeris. You guys probably crossed paths.