You are Ryan Pace. What do you do about Kaare Vedvick?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What is strange to me is how the Bears had 8 free agents for their Kicker Clown Car tryout who all apparently sucked, yet teams like Carolina and Baltimore who aren't even looking for a new Ks are able to 'unearth' guys who are about to make FGs from 40+ yards.

I don't understand why its 'crazy' to think the Bears should give up a draft pick for a K...its still a need, right?
The idea of giving up a draft pick for a kicker wasn't my point, it was that people are now suggesting every UDFA camp kicker that has one good night in a preseason game is now going to be held onto for draft picks when the truth is that every non starting kicker will most likely be cut. With Minn trading for KV that is one less team in need of a kicker.
Fry and Piniero have had unremarkabe camps both from the good and the bad so far. Bears fans seem to be like a dog that can't decide which squirrel to chase at the park with every made FG this offseason.

If Slye continues to kick well and Fry and Piniero falter , it certainly would be worth asking what the hell was Pace thinking not bringing him in when he was available less than 2 weeks ago as a street FA, when he brought in so many clubfooted wonks to his carnival sideshow last spring.

I imagine Bears fans would lose their shit had Pace traded for KV and he missed his next FG attempt and then this was unearthed:

Ravens camp, Day 7:Kaare Vedvik missed badly from 53, continuing uneven camp

9:18 AM - 1 Aug 2019

If a stud kicker was available for trade I have no issue with a trade, I just think this thing will just play out with the two the Bears have and if both struggle, a post cut pickup.

I will not believe in any Bears kicker until well into the regular season regardless.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Fry and Piniero have had unremarkabe camps both from the good and the bad so far.

Not sure what this means.

If Slye continues to kick well and Fry and Piniero falter , it certainly would be worth asking what the hell was Pace thinking not bringing him in when he was available less than 2 weeks ago as a street FA, when he brought in so many clubfooted wonks to his carnival sideshow last spring.

I think that question can be asked right now.

If a stud kicker was available for trade I have no issue with a trade, I just think this thing will just play out with the two the Bears have and if both struggle, a post cut pickup.

How many teams offer up their stud kickers in trades? 0?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I seriously don't have a clue what you are claiming I won't acknowledge. You think punters are easy to replace, I don't think it is as simple as you think it is. I don't think they have an inclination to have him punt to save a roster spot, you do. I think asking a player to do both would likely affect both specialties adversely making him below average at both, a point you have not responded to, but I assume you don't agree with since you feel he adds value by doing both.

Am I missing something?
Works for me. Never said either was simple to replace. Only that the 30th rated punter is 'relatively easy' to replace. He's still an NFL starter but likely a fringe one which is what his replacement would become. Vedvik would likely rank higher so there's additional value added in field position. No one said it was a free lunch, just that the equation has the possibility of balancing in Vedvik's direction.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think that question can be asked right now. At the moment Slye is a camp leg cut 2 times last offseason, 2 times this offseason that has made 3 FG's. A bit early to be WTFing about Pace missing on him.

How many teams offer up their stud kickers in trades? 0? My point exactly. So why be eager to offer picks for likely cut players that will be available for nothing in a few weeks?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Kind of appropriate that when I quote you, all I get is a blank screen.

Pace already had his top 8 FA kicker tryout fiasco...Slye wasn't in Pace's top 8 prospects. Not sure how its a 'bit early to be WTFing' about something that has already happened. Reminds me of the most recent Cubs forum admonishment I received for trying to discuss the Cubs acquiring Jonathan Lucroy..."It is almost pointless to talk about the past. It has already been done."

I also liked how your hypothetical was completely baseless, yet it was your point exactly. I'm guessing that the Vikings traded for Vedvik so they could proactively get him on their roster because they thought another team would be trying to trade for Vedvik? Seems to be the rationale for every trade ever made in the history of the NFL thus far. JMO.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Kind of appropriate that when I quote you, all I get is a blank screen.

Pace already had his top 8 FA kicker tryout fiasco...Slye wasn't in Pace's top 8 prospects. Not sure how its a 'bit early to be WTFing' about something that has already happened.
Do you have other information about Slye that I don't. All I know is that he made 3 FG's in a preseason game. Has he been killing it at Panthers camp? Was he cut twice this offseason by the Giants for something other than being not worthy of a spot in OTA's ? Why was he unable to stick with TB or Cle or be traded for picks?
He may be better than all those scrubs, but at the moment I would love to here something pertinent other than he made 3 FG's in a row against the Bears in a preseason game before wondering why he isn't on the roster.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Do you have other information about Slye that I don't. All I know is that he made 3 FG's in a preseason game. Has he been killing it at Panthers camp? Was he cut twice this offseason by the Giants for something other than being not worthy of a spot in OTA's ? Why was he unable to stick with TB or Cle or be traded for picks?
He may be better than all those scrubs, but at the moment I would love to here something pertinent other than he made 3 FG's in a row against the Bears in a preseason game before wondering why he isn't on the roster.

Are We Actually Deep at K?

Kickers are a lot like corners.....corners haven't even reached their full potential until at least 6 or 7 years in the league.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not sure what this means.

I think that question can be asked right now.

How many teams offer up their stud kickers in trades? 0?

Agreed. Teams only offer up their stud OLB's in trades.

#ThanksJohn

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, why is this guy the latest and greatest kicker? Honest question, I haven't been following this that much.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Yeah, why is this guy the latest and greatest kicker? Honest question, I haven't been following this that much.

In comparison to the kickers Pace brought in for the Clown Show, which was obviously my point, Slye has outperformed them all by a wide margin.

Fry = 1/1

Redford Jones = on street

John Baron II = on street

Casey Bednarski = on street

Chris Blewitt = on street

Emmitt Carpenter = on street

Spencer Evans = on street

Justin Yoon = on street

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Yo, when the Eagles traded for Cody Parkey in 2014, that guy ended up scoring 150 points and making the pro bowl.

Broncos traded for Brandon McManus 5 years ago, and he's still their regular kicker.

good examples...i guess I was thinking more about it from a compensation standpoint and the one that sticks in my head was scobee who was traded for a 5th or 6th rounder and bombed badly...The parkey trade for some rb was up and down imo...he had a career year and then done...mcmanus was a conditional pick? that was a good deal...if your sending a conditional or a 7th rd pick thats one thing but a 5th? or in the bears case it would have likely been higher to outbid the vikings... Its a big gamble for a kicker...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
good examples...i guess I was thinking more about it from a compensation standpoint and the one that sticks in my head was scobee who was traded for a 5th or 6th rounder and bombed badly...The parkey trade for some rb was up and down imo...he had a career year and then done...mcmanus was a conditional pick? that was a good deal...if your sending a conditional or a 7th rd pick thats one thing but a 5th? or in the bears case it would have likely been higher to outbid the vikings... Its a big gamble for a kicker...

Agreed. Big gamble, but not really 'crazy', IMO. When you have people on a message board referencing FG% from a Family Fun Night at Soldier Field....you might be a redneck.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Minnesota traded for him for a fifth round pick in 2020, all pace offered was a conditional 5th round pick.

It sounds like Mason Crosby might be done in Green Bay. He might be done all together, but he is being pushed and started camp with an injury. There will be a few more, lets hope next exhibition game they stop a drive at the 35 on second down just so the kickers get chances.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Maybe if we weren't already without our 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks in 2020 then it would be easier to trade a 5th round pick for a kicker but even then it's tough unless it's a proven NFL kicker.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Minnesota traded for him for a fifth round pick in 2020, all pace offered was a conditional 5th round pick.

It sounds like Mason Crosby might be done in Green Bay. He might be done all together, but he is being pushed and started camp with an injury. There will be a few more, lets hope next exhibition game they stop a drive at the 35 on second down just so the kickers get chances.

how do you know what Pace offered? Did he or someone close to him say that or are we just speculating?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
how do you know what Pace offered? Did he or someone close to him say that or are we just speculating?

I was wondering the same thing. I saw the reports that the Bears were interested in the kicker, and then that someone with THE JETS thought the Bears would trade for him. But I've seen no reporting and no evidence that the Bears were prepared to offer *anything*.

I'm not saying they didn't. But I've not seen any reporting saying they did.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying they didn't. But I've not seen any reporting saying they did.

I just assumed the Bears would be "reported" as being in on any and every transactions for any and every kicker until the Season Opener because it is one of the easiest assumptions in the NFL right now.

#ParkeyBodyCount

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Apparently it was on the score that the Bears offered a conditional 5th round pick and never even heard back from the Ravens. Pace never had the chance to match the offer from Minnesota if he wanted to.