1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Whew. man, they really needed that one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Great win. Didn't love the idea of putting Strop in there at that spot but he got it done. Nice job Stop.
That was an ideal situation.

For one thing, Kimbrel is unavailable.
Strop needs to get back in the swing. Sitting him or refusing to use him serves no purpose.
And a three run cushion certainly helped.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He struggled in the minors as well until about June/July. Maddon said his swing looks better but really talked about his right handed swing looking more efficient.

When he first arrived and was swinging and missing pitches by a foot (which he still does) and was not getting on, I thought they were fooled by a little AAA success.

But he has been productive since. I am glad to see him prove me wrong.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I can't wait for Jim Johnson to post doom and gloom about today's loss.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Pirates piss me off.

Up 8-4 in 7th.

Popup to left, and LF and SS both pull up expecting the other to catch it, and they allow it to drop. A single, walk and two HBP later- all with two outs - and the pirates give up a grand slam to a shitty hitter.

9-8 Cards

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Good to see they came back and won. Usually off the bat with this team you can tell when they'll struggle to score runs. Looked that way in the beginning plus Castillo was owning them, but big win.

Next Series @ Phillies. Phillies are a funny team. not sure what to make of them. Watched them recently and they should be so much better than they actually are. Cubs have a good shot to win their first road series since May.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Wick into the deep circle of trust getting 7/8 with save situation going on. Still think he’s a great closer replacement to Kimbrel as he’s done it professionally and Strop really struggles with that mental part of it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wick may have been more out of necessity than earning the trust before today. But hopefully today changes that. He did very well.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The unheralded guys in the pen (Ryan, Wick, Chatwood just to name a few) have not had tons of high leverage situations but mostly have been huge when needed.
Will we ever see if these guys can be effective in those high leverage situations (much needed) the way Joe uses the pen. I was very surprised he let Wick go 2 today.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Will we ever see if these guys can be effective in those high leverage situations (much needed) the way Joe uses the pen. I was very surprised he let Wick go 2 today.

With the off day tomorrow, it wouldn't have been a terrible idea to let him finish.....but TL is right, Strop won't get his mojo back riding the pines. He needed to get back on the horse.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the off day tomorrow, it wouldn't have been a terrible idea to let him finish.....but TL is right, Strop won't get his mojo back riding the pines. He needed to get back on the horse.
Putting Strop in seemed to be the right move, no argument there.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So if the team splits road series and plays .750 ball at home, does that mean they win playoff series when they wont be the home team?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The short answer is that none of that matters because the playoffs are just weird.
Playoffs are weird, but obviously the Dodgers currently have to be the overwhelming favorite to win the NLCS.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Playoffs are weird, but obviously the Dodgers currently have to be the overwhelming favorite to win the NLCS.

That's the fallacy. Moreso than in any other sport, past regular season performance in baseball is not indicative of future playoff results.