Jorge Soler

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You said Soler and Schwarber are essentially the same player. No, no they aren't.
Soler has a .795 OPS when he plays in the field.

He has a .972 when playing as a DH

LOL

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Soler has a .795 OPS when he plays in the field.

He has a .972 when playing as a DH

LOL

So the Cubs should have kept him just in case the NL went with the DH!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You are an idiot.

Fowler was signed a week or 2 into spring training.

They had no CF going into spring.

They had Soler and Schwarber slatted.

You are really trying to make this into a Heyward thing and it is stupid to do so. Heyward was signed to fill the vacant CF by Fowler's F/A. Fowler resigned in S/T after he could not land a multi year deal and that pushed Heyward back to his natural RF and LF into a platoon. Which should have been Soler's opportunity with Schwarber injured. But alas Again the great King fell yet again.

I know I am, so what does that make you?

these are your words, we finally agreed on something and now you are going 180 over it.

which one was it, we had no CF or they signed Heyward to play CF?

At least I am consistently stupid.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So the Cubs should have kept him just in case the NL went with the DH!

JJ is incredibly moronic. I mean I liked Soler as much as anyone but he's now played over 60% of his games at DH. Wonder what his numbers would be if had to play a full game? Wonder how many games he would have even played to this point. The fact he is so brittle makes him a DH, not his defense.

Schwarber has never been able to do that...so there is NO comparing the two.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
JJ is incredibly moronic. I mean I liked Soler as much as anyone but he's now played over 60% of his games at DH. Wonder what his numbers would be if had to play a full game? Wonder how many games he would have even played to this point. The fact he is so brittle makes him a DH, not his defense.

Schwarber has never been able to do that...so there is NO comparing the two.
I really liked Soler. He had a lot of tools. I think it's a fun comparison, but he is better off in the AL. Schwarber needs to change his barrel path to improve his numbers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know I am, so what does that make you?

these are your words, we finally agreed on something and now you are going 180 over it.

which one was it, we had no CF or they signed Heyward to play CF?

At least I am consistently stupid.

You are right about the consistently part. The rest no.

Like I said.

Going into spring training 2016 Fowler was a free agent.

Ok

They had under contract

Schwarber and Soler.

Ok

They signed Heyward.

So going into spring training they had 3 corner out fielder's.

Ok

But Joe was pushing Heyward into CF off the bat...

So yes they had 0 CF but they were starting the conversion then.

Ok

When Fowler signed his 1 year deal it pushed Heyward to RF and LF into a platoon of Schwarber and Soler.

Ok

The plan was strait platoon and Schwarber catching Hammel's starts with Soler in left.

Ok

But in reality it became Schwarber DL

Soler DL

And LF was in turmoil. Bryant, Zobrist, Trading for Chris Coghlan etc.

Play offs it was 100% Zobrist out there.

Ok

So no the idiot is all you

Ok

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Like I said.

Ok

They had under contract

Schwarber and Soler.

Ok

They signed Heyward.

Ok

Ok

When Fowler signed his 1 year deal it pushed Heyward to RF and LF into a platoon of Schwarber and Soler.

Ok

The plan was strait platoon and Schwarber catching Hammel's starts with Soler in left.

Ok

Soler DL

Ok

Ok

Kind of a waste of time, isn't it? Old news, actually very old news plus you will never win an argument with an idiot.

They are too stupid to admit defeat.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Like I said.

Ok

They had under contract

Schwarber and Soler.

Ok

They signed Heyward.

Ok

Ok

Ok

Ok

Soler DL

Ok

Ok

Nice novel, maybe I confused you by quoting too much of your message.

Heyward was signed to fill the vacant CF by Fowler's F/A.

Schwarber would not have spent the year on the DL without Fowler being here.

The outfield would have been Schwarber, Heyward, Soler.

Since nobody seemed to mention how bad Soler was before Heyward was signed, I expect everyone would have agreed with this. The What if starts with Fowler never signing and Schwarber and Soler getting more time to play where they were expected to play.

Give yourself a cookie and keep your pride of being smarter than an idiot, on my scale, next step up is moron.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
You are right they are not.

Schwarber 7.6 WAR as a MLB player.
Soler: 4.1.

Nope not the same player.

The difference is Schwarber started off strong and has been bad ever since. Soler appears to be improving.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The difference is Schwarber started off strong and has been bad ever since. Soler appears to be improving.
Yes, one season Soler has been better with his bat so that def. means one is getting better.

Schwarber had a 3.2 fWAR last year. Soler is at 2.3 fWAR this year.

I see ya point.

I also see you ignored that his bat has been substantially worse when he has to play the field.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yes, one season Soler has been better with his bat so that def. means one is getting better.

Schwarber had a 3.2 fWAR last year. Soler is at 2.3 fWAR this year.

I see ya point.

I also see you ignored that his bat has been substantially worse when he has to play the field.

Soler is a terrible defender (I'm not arguing that point) which obviously affects his WAR. The discussion we were having was regarding their offensive numbers.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Good for Solar. I'm sure he would have blossomed with the Cubs too. But in the "win now" mentality of the Cubs, they really didn't have the patience to wait around for it, which I don't think anyone can really blame them for.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You said Soler and Schwarber are essentially the same player. No, no they aren't.
.45 points difference in OPS in August and you think this is a clear case of one over the other?
Andtbat one is a guy who has been in the minors half the games since his trade to an awful team?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
.45 points difference in OPS in August and you think this is a clear case of one over the other?
Andtbat one is a guy who has been in the minors half the games since his trade to an awful team?

You and others keep living in the past. Focus on the present. One player is showing signs of being pretty damn good, the other not so much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Soler is a terrible defender (I'm not arguing that point) which obviously affects his WAR. The discussion we were having was regarding their offensive numbers.

The only difference in Schwarber's 2018-2019 is his walk rate. His BA is very close. He has surpassed the 26 HR that year.

So I don't agree with you here.

His off is 7 less. That ties directly into his walk rate.

D wise it has downgraded also. IMO he gained some weight back and it has limited his range.

So losing weight lost power but made him a over all better player. Gain weight the HR go up to the 30's but he loses value in D.

So eventually he will have to be player A or B.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If someone tells me there is a meaningful difference between Soler and Schwarber, it tells me more about the person than anything.

When they drafted Soler I thought we were getting a right fielder and Soler was Solar with the way he hit home runs. When they drafted Schwarber, I thought they were drafting a DH.

The only meaningful difference I want to see is when they finally trade schwarber, I hope its a guy that sticks around here. Not the Gleybor for the rental or the Tatis Jr for Shields hiccups, or yes, the Soler for one year of Wade Davis. Wade could have still been a great closer here, he went to pitchers hell in Colorado to get the 51 million, so the closers legacy went to the bank.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When they drafted Soler I thought we were getting a right fielder and Soler was Solar with the way he hit home runs. When they drafted Schwarber, I thought they were drafting a DH.

The only meaningful difference I want to see is when they finally trade schwarber, I hope its a guy that sticks around here. Not the Gleybor for the rental or the Tatis Jr for Shields hiccups, or yes, the Soler for one year of Wade Davis. Wade could have still been a great closer here, he went to pitchers hell in Colorado to get the 51 million, so the closers legacy went to the bank.
What year did we “draft” Soler?