OT: Dak Turns Down $30mil/year

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...his arm was shot but you are still talking about a top 5 NFL coach being on the field in Manning. Manning his last 2-3 years was like if Trubisky got hurt...Daniels got squashed by a DT the next game, and then Tyler Bray sucked...and somehow through NFL rules the Bears were like...well Nagy has been through draft so he is eligible to sign...and then we signed Nagy and played with Nagy...

That would be the equivalant of Payton Manning running your team that year with the exception that Manning > Nagy and is a first ballot HOF unanimous member. So that will explain the discrepancy for us since Nagy actually has a better arm right now today than Manning had his last 2-3 years. He still Ain't a coach on the field level of Peyton Manning talking audibles in chinese and using his knowledge of tonal languages and the Navaho word (a tonal language like the Mandarin Peyton speaks)

the reason he says the Navaho word

"omaha...is because its a tonal tongue, and you can actually pronounce it 7 different ways. So if you decode Dolphin language for a living and playback the Omaha I bet you there are about 3-7 variations on the same word, that are subtle and only picked up by his o-line that practiced it.

That is a little known fact between Manning's Mandarin lessons and his choice of the word "Omaha" from the tonal Navaho language. Nobody talks about that but Rask...there you go.

The Omaha Tribe are Sioux not Navajo

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If these QB's salaries keep going up disproportionate to the increase in salary cap, middle tier quarterbacks simply won't be worth the cap hit, meaning unless you have a QB who's indisputably top 10, it might make better long-term financial sense for teams to cut their losses and draft a new starting QB.

And if enough teams do that, you'll start to see the market go back down.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The Omaha Tribe are Sioux not Navajo
I just assumed Peyton was just making a few extra bucks from Mutual of Omaha or Omaha Steaks. Dude did/does know how to milk the advertising teet.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just assumed Peyton was just making a few extra bucks from Mutual of Omaha or Omaha Steaks. Dude did/does know how to milk the advertising teet.

♪♪Nationwide is on your side♪♪

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I have said this since the Bears drafted trublinsky, if he shows little progress this year sign him low and continue to beat this horse, if he says no show him the door and draft a real franchise QB that we don't have to wait 5 years for him to come around.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll be voided by then due to the new CBA, amirite?
Pretty much a guarantee the 5th year option and the tags are going away in the new CBA. Just wonder if existing players get grandfathered in or will the 5th year option go away immediately.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. It is hard to win a Superbowl, period. But I think your chances go down significantly when you overpay your QB, especially in tjis inflated market. IMO, your chances are much better building a solid team, andeither having a solid journeyman QB, or hit on a rookie before they ask for the moon...
Not trying to be an ass, but to reiterate my point, in the last 10 years, what team has won the Super Bowl with this formula you're taking a hard stance on?

I can't think of one, but if I'm mistaken I'll gladly say touche. Even some of the more mediocre QBS (say Flacco) played lights out in the playoffs. Eli always turned on some playoff juice when they won. I don't recall sub par or middle pack level QB play winning super bowls. Hell, even Foles played extremely well for the Eagles when they won.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If these QB's salaries keep going up disproportionate to the increase in salary cap, middle tier quarterbacks simply won't be worth the cap hit, meaning unless you have a QB who's indisputably top 10, it might make better long-term financial sense for teams to cut their losses and draft a new starting QB.

And if enough teams do that, you'll start to see the market go back down.

Yep. I think the Cowboys and the Bears are perfect examples of teams who would be foolish to pay their QBs a megacontract at this point. Both rosters full of talent that they won't be able to keep if they pay $30+m to average QBs, and won't be able to compete if they lose that talent because their QBs aren't good enough to elevate average teams.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Honestly, QBs are getting to the point where you can find one that can throw 4000 yards and 25 tds, even if they aren't good.

I'd strongly consider spending all my money on other positions and continually plugging in first or second rounders.

As an example, if I don't think Mitch is the next great QB, I would consider using a lot.od my picks this year to trade up and draft another. Let him sit behind Mitch for a year, trade Mitch the following year and recoup those picks. You can rinse and repeat this.

But, don't let go of the next great one.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Not trying to be an ass, but to reiterate my point, in the last 10 years, what team has won the Super Bowl with this formula you're taking a hard stance on?

I can't think of one, but if I'm mistaken I'll gladly say touche. Even some of the more mediocre QBS (say Flacco) played lights out in the playoffs. Eli always turned on some playoff juice when they won. I don't recall sub par or middle pack level QB play winning super bowls. Hell, even Foles played extremely well for the Eagles when they won.
You're missing the point. How many teams paying decent/good QBs top contracts make and win the Superbowl?

They don't. You either have a legit top QB, a rookie contract QB playing well, or a decent QB that catches fire at the right time.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
You're missing the point. How many teams paying decent/good QBs top contracts make and win the Superbowl?

They don't. You either have a legit top QB, a rookie contract QB playing well, or a decent QB that catches fire at the right time.
You've manipulated the point. There's a difference.

The above statement is correct. Kudos.

Your previous statement did not portray that narrative. Carry on.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

So you are saying overspending on mediocre talent is a bad idea if you want to win a SB.
and
You need either a franchise, young, or old QB to play well in the playoffs to win.

Are you sure you aren't a top NFL executive? These sure seem like top notch ideas.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That's a terrible idea. QB salaries would balloon even more out of control.
What is the option, raising the cap to 200 million? The teams that have a rookie contract QB would throw it all at defense.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
So you are saying overspending on mediocre talent is a bad idea if you want to win a SB.
and
You need either a franchise, young, or old QB to play well in the playoffs to win.

Are you sure you aren't a top NFL executive? These sure seem like top notch ideas.
Most NFL execs pay top dollar for mediocre/ok talent. Just look at how many of those contracts have been given to QBs lately.

Also notice how often those teams fail to go deep in the playoffs...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What is the option, raising the cap to 200 million? The teams that have a rookie contract QB would throw it all at defense.

The cap is already over $200mil for like half the teams this year, and the standard cap will probably go over $200mil for every team in 2020.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I were Jerry Jones I'd flat out tell them his performance doesn't justify that kind of money. Offer him half (20 mill) and draft his replacement if he declines. What kind of moron must he be to think he's worth that?