For those of you that still have hope for Trubisky...

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be opposed to that. I think Mitch is a perfect NFL backup right now actually.

The problem is the guy is doing to much. They've got him taking tap dancing lessons for his footwork, and working on his arm mechanics, and focusing on not throwing off his back foot (even though everyone does it once in a while). They are so focused on making him the best QB that its taken away from his ability to think.

Sometimes you just gotta let the guy go out there and make some plays. I think this thing is way to specific and detailed.

My head honestly hurts watching this offense. there is never anything simple. The personnel changes, the motion, the formations. I honestly see it and Im not confused by what we are running. Im confused why we're running it at that time.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Currently?

The core is Mack, Hicks, Smith, Jackson. I think that core has a 6 year shelf life.

However, typically defenses of an elite level have a 3 year window of being elite and maybe a 6 total year of being top 10.

But there is a caveat to this - Pace has been finding people on defense like CRAZY. You even got Roy Robertson Harris as an undrafted free agent making a significant impact.

So, we have a GM, who can repeatedly find these players and has a hell of a track record finding defense.

Therefore, I have faith he can turn over the defense very well.

But while I don't want to waste this defense any more than any one else, the thing is, it is all about the quarterback.

You get it right with the quarterback, and you can actually then afford to turn over your defense about 3 times if you have the offense to carry you through those times.

The rub is, if you guess WRONG, and get the wrong QB, it can set you back because most teams overcommit to the draft pick, and then it is a double whammy if you gave up picks to get that QB if you are good at drafting otherwise. So now you took picks where you likely shore up the next wave of defense behind your guys in their prime, and instead use them for a bad QB, leaving the team with no QB AND less depth, thus shortening the window.

Which means if you take a swing on a QB, try to minimize the draft capital you use to get him as much as possible, ESPECIALLY if you are very good otherwise at drafting.

I say three years tops. No number one pick next year. And if you commit to a QB in 2021, no number one in that year, and quite possibly the year after that.

Mack/Smith/floyd/Fuller...................all high number one picks.

Wait until 2021 to address the Qb situation, give that Qb at least one-two years to mature, that means it is the 2022-2023 season before you have a legit shot.

Lets take a look at some of the ages of the Bears players in 2023.

Khali Mack 31
Kyle Long 33
Ha ha clinton Dix 29
Trey Burton 30
Akeem Hicks 32
Taylor Gabriel 31
Cordale Patterson 31
Buster Skrine 33
Cody Whitehair 30
Charles Leno 30
Bobbie Massie 33
Danny Trevathon 32
Leonard Floyd 30
Kyle fuller 30
Prince Akumura 33
Allen Robinson 29

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Yea yea yea.... but elite QB’s have sharp minds, can read defenses, spot double coverages, lookoff receivers and see the entire field. They do it INSTINCTIVELY. Either you have that or you don’t... you can improve a little with teaching but it’s really something that cannot truly be taught. Trubs does not have it.

There is a reason it took Trubs so long to be a starting QB in college. Excuses aside, if he was THAT GOOD he would have started long before it took him to do so. I bet the same problem we are having now is the same problem they were having then.... Trubs is not that smart, took a long time to learn the offense and it took him even longer before it became somewhat instinctive for him.

You can change many things but the fact that he does not the mind of an elite QB is not one of them.
What in the fuck did Pace see in Trubisky anyway? He's made several good moves/picks and signings but he looks like a damn idiot on the most important position for the offense..Was anybody impressed with Trubisky prior to the draft?

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Remember when the fans ripped Lombardi for says this....

“No, I'm not buying Mitchell Trubisky," Lombardi said. "You couldn’t get me to buy Mitchell Trubisky if you had him on a discount rack at Filene’s Basement. There’s no chance. There’s no chance. He can’t throw the ball inbounds half the time. I mean, it’s a joke. I was in Chicago this week and all I saw was Trubisky jerseys and I'm thinking you people are crazy. You’re going to be selling them in three years. There’s no way."

Lol
Pace and Nagy want to be the smartest guys in the NFL, they don't look like it anymore..

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Khalil Mack could land us a very high first round draft pick if we are serious about replacing Mitch after this season. If Mitch keeps this play up we won’t be winning shit with or with out Mack so you might as well get something out of him.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
you get 3 years and that's too long to prove yourself anywhere./

If he doesn't throw 3 tds vs redskins then we'll know he isn't the one. He's playing like somebody who's being soft.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I'm against going the free-agent route from the previous post you mentioned only because I don't think it's a long-term solution.

But, if there is a quarterback in next year's draft that both Nagy and pace feel strongly about and can be had for those two second-round picks, I would agree that you make the move.

But what I don't want is the making the move just to get a quarterback because they want someone other than Mitch. NFL teams have done that and ruin themselves over it. It has to be someone they really think is amazing and want to trade up for otherwise I say stand Pat and write it out with Mitch one more year.

I agree that the FA route is probably not the best for a long term solution, but we are kind of in a short term window here with this D. If pace/Nagy dont like or cant move up this year for a QB and will have to wait for 2021 then they absolutely have to get someone that is an improvement over Mitch this coming FA off-season.

Now obviously this is all predicated on Mitch continued struggles. Best case is Mitch just figures it out and starts playing well. Mitch has this year to step up and show that he is the guy, otherwise It would be foolish to not look for plan B

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Khalil Mack could land us a very high first round draft pick if we are serious about replacing Mitch after this season. If Mitch keeps this play up we won’t be winning shit with or with out Mack so you might as well get something out of him.
I'm vehemently against Mack being traded to get a QB.

Mack is what makes the D extra special and able to win a SB with a game manager QB. Mitch could be that QB but if he ain't then Bears should be able to get a FA who can manage the game for this D (and score TDs)

I think the Bears could win now with Josh McCown tbh.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
When the Bears drafted Mitch, I remember thinking that while I didn't agree with the pick at the time, it was a bold move by Pace that would give him a thumbs up or thumbs down vote on whether he would be our GM of the future or not. I prefer that to a GM who doesn't move up and get their guy and then makes excuses for why the roster isn't what they wanted it to be. Pace went bold and moved up to get his guy and it was not the right call. Hard part is he has been solid in a number of other decisions but the QB decision was going to anchor his job security. It feels like its difficult to give him another shot at it because if it doesn't work out, the franchise is in a very long rebuilding period. I think if Pace wants another shot at QB, he needs to use what little draft capital he has this year to make that move and if it doesn't work out, he's on the way out.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I think there's a lot of excuse making and also a lot of jumping to conclusions. As the season progresses we will understand more. If he hasn't regressed suddenly, then I would say he will be here for at least 4 years, most likely 5.

If I don't see Trubisky improve significantly and I don't see him regress, then I would exercise his fifth year option. Identify the best QB in this draft and next that we can realistically take. Then roll with Trubisky, draft that player, and develop them behind him.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I'm vehemently against Mack being traded to get a QB.

Mack is what makes the D extra special and able to win a SB with a game manager QB. Mitch could be that QB but if he ain't then Bears should be able to get a FA who can manage the game for this D (and score TDs)

I think the Bears could win now with Josh McCown tbh.
I disagree. Nagy tried to make Mitch a game manager in the play offs last season and this season it’s almost like he’s gotten taken down another rung. We had a good defense before Mack and we will have one after Mack but if we had a QB we would be challenging New England for top dog in the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The O just isn't working that well but Mitch is squandering his opportunities to make some of those few big plays that are available or create them on one on one ball placements. The O has been a bit of a cluster fuck but Mitch certainly isn't elevating it like top QBs often can.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
When the Bears drafted Mitch, I remember thinking that while I didn't agree with the pick at the time, it was a bold move by Pace that would give him a thumbs up or thumbs down vote on whether he would be our GM of the future or not. I prefer that to a GM who doesn't move up and get their guy and then makes excuses for why the roster isn't what they wanted it to be. Pace went bold and moved up to get his guy and it was not the right call. Hard part is he has been solid in a number of other decisions but the QB decision was going to anchor his job security. It feels like its difficult to give him another shot at it because if it doesn't work out, the franchise is in a very long rebuilding period. I think if Pace wants another shot at QB, he needs to use what little draft capital he has this year to make that move and if it doesn't work out, he's on the way out.

Things can change. Here's the deal - yes, we all believed that the QB would be what Pace would be hitching his job to.

But that was because we didn't think he'd be so consistently good in the draft that he would get us a top tier defense (not to mention the Khalil Mack trade).

I think Pace indeed has been eager early on to "prove" he is the smartest guy in the room, hence the reaches for Cohen, Shaheen, and the move for Trubisky. But when you look at it, it also appears he is settling in to being comfortable in his own skin as a GM, and as such has been drafting from bigger schools, while targeting great football players - not just the best combine stars.

Pace's job therefore is safe, and will remain so until the rest of his drafts start to suffer.

Because it isn't just the Bears looking for a QB - look how many teams year in and year out struggle. And look what a damn crapshoot it is.

Alex Smith went ahead of Aaron Rodgers. Mitch went ahead of Mahomes. In 2016, the top 2 QBs have just been above average at best and one was thought to be a bust his first 2-3 years. In 2015, no matter which QB you took, you lost the QB guessing game. In 2014, the only decent QB was taken in the 2nd round, with Bridgewater and Bortles going before him. In 2013, only one QB was selected in RD 1 because the class was so bad, and none of them ever did anything.

It's not easy getting a QB. I get the desperation, but being desperate doesn't mean the right QB will just magically appear in the draft to fit the team's needs.

And if you try to force a decision on a QB that isn't worth it - it can affect everything on the team - not just the QB spot.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Things can change. Here's the deal - yes, we all believed that the QB would be what Pace would be hitching his job to.

But that was because we didn't think he'd be so consistently good in the draft that he would get us a top tier defense (not to mention the Khalil Mack trade).

I think Pace indeed has been eager early on to "prove" he is the smartest guy in the room, hence the reaches for Cohen, Shaheen, and the move for Trubisky. But when you look at it, it also appears he is settling in to being comfortable in his own skin as a GM, and as such has been drafting from bigger schools, while targeting great football players - not just the best combine stars.

Pace's job therefore is safe, and will remain so until the rest of his drafts start to suffer.

Because it isn't just the Bears looking for a QB - look how many teams year in and year out struggle. And look what a damn crapshoot it is.

Alex Smith went ahead of Aaron Rodgers. Mitch went ahead of Mahomes. In 2016, the top 2 QBs have just been above average at best and one was thought to be a bust his first 2-3 years. In 2015, no matter which QB you took, you lost the QB guessing game. In 2014, the only decent QB was taken in the 2nd round, with Bridgewater and Bortles going before him. In 2013, only one QB was selected in RD 1 because the class was so bad, and none of them ever did anything.

It's not easy getting a QB. I get the desperation, but being desperate doesn't mean the right QB will just magically appear in the draft to fit the team's needs.

And if you try to force a decision on a QB that isn't worth it - it can affect everything on the team - not just the QB spot.
:what:

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The nonsense spewed on this board has skyrocketed in the last 2 weeks. Almost unreadable.

Teddy helping to bottom it out with his meandering, long winded drivel.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
What in the fuck did Pace see in Trubisky anyway? He's made several good moves/picks and signings but he looks like a damn idiot on the most important position for the offense..Was anybody impressed with Trubisky prior to the draft?
It's called potential.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long does he get before you move on?

End of the season?

Next year?

Pick up the 5th year and wait till that's done?

Give him a second contract?

What's your personal breaking point?
Me next year, if he can show progression. If he continues this throughout this season, I dont know if I can wait another year, which is not unreasonable. I think Nagy should relinquish play calling duties as well...no rhythm can be established with his gadget crap every series

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Basically how I felt about the draft and how I feel now.

If they determine that Trubisky isn't the guy(which looks to be the case for right now, all that could change Monday Night lol), I want Pace to address it immediately. Hell, if by week 8 they determine Trubisky isn't the guy, start the process at the exact moment that you determine he's NOT the guy. That's how he should proceed. Go bold again, like he did with getting Trubisky.

Tank for Trevor? Hello? :eek: