Now that the season is over

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Surprised that everyone likes the Quintana option especially with how he's fading right now and isn't getting younger.
Surprised CSF77 mentioned Hyun-Jin Ryu since he's for one injury prone and two he tends to fade down the stretch as well.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Bat wise there's not much out there the Cubs need that's also available. Adam Eaton is about the only lead off option available in FA. He is also a lefty.

Otherwise the only bats I'd be interested in would be wither of the 2 3B so Rizzo could be lead off, if they don't trade for one, and they move Bryant to RF and Heyward to CF.

Whos the reds lead off hitter last year that got traded to KC. I know he didnt have a good year but he maybe would be a better fit for the Cubs than KC.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Whos the reds lead off hitter last year that got traded to KC. I know he didnt have a good year but he maybe would be a better fit for the Cubs than KC.

Billy Hamilton
Great idea
We could use his 290obp + 320 slugging....table setter!

Wtf do you people watch?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
You mean Billy Hamilton? He plays a decent CF and steals bases but his OBP sucks.

I think the reason most are okay with Quintana is that he isn't expensive and the options aren't that great. For every player you'd want to shed, it's fine, but then who replaces said player?

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
There isn't the Lemahieu / Brantley out there this year so the lead off hitter will probably have to come from a trade

sscubbie

Liked Posts:
Give Almora and Bote a chance to play. Maddon hasn't. If they had the chance that Schwarber has, I think the Cubs would have more wins because of confidence that comes from playing. Less homers probably. More hits definitely. Hitting homers in a 15 to 1 game doesn't help. A base hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd wins games. And Almora is a much better fielder than Schwarber.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Give Almora and Bote a chance to play. Maddon hasn't. If they had the chance that Schwarber has, I think the Cubs would have more wins because of confidence that comes from playing. Less homers probably. More hits definitely. Hitting homers in a 15 to 1 game doesn't help. A base hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd wins games. And Almora is a much better fielder than Schwarber.
I don't think we should be expecting much out of the two since they weren't really that impressive in the minors as well.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Almora and Bote are not starters on a championship caliber team. They are back ups

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Next year will be interesting because it is essentially a cross roads year with how our current player contracts are structured. Thinking out loud here:
  • Let all of our FA's walk (Zobrist, Cole,, Pedro, Kintzler, etc)
  • Pick Up Q's option as its only $10M and there really isn't a whole lot of cheap options on the FA market next year (plus a lot of money comes off the books after 2020 so if we bust next year as well, then 2021 is a rebuild year with some money to spend)
  • Engage Boston in a Mookie for KB swab. It appears that neither wants to stay with their current team (at least per media reports) and with KB have 2 years of Arb to Mook's 1, there maybe a minimal number of additional players to be included. KB would clearly have to play the outfield with Boston, but I feel he is eventually going to end up there anyways. Contract year Mookie will probably but up insane numbers and again, if the Cubs fail, then he comes off the books and full rebuild can start
  • Chatwood seems to have found his home in the Pen, so for the 5th spot I would start the year with Mills and Alozay on the 25 man and let them alternate starts. The 5th spot in any rotation really just needs to be a .500 pitcher and we need to know if any of our young guys have fulltime starting potential. Underwood is another option here.
  • The pen has 4 set pitchers in Chatwood, Ryan, Wick and Kimbrel (hopefully a full offseason program fixes him). I would like to see Norwood stay and Wieck. Changes the look of the Pen to fireballers which we need and some lower heat guys for a change of pace. Fill the remaining spots with 1 year prove it deals for some vets.
  • Work on an extension for Nick and move him to left field (Mookie would be in right)
  • See what Scwarbers would bring back. He is about to have a 40 HR/100 RBI year and his value may never be higher. Look for prospects as opposed to MLB ready players.
  • Give Rizzo more time off and VC needs to be the primary back up 1st as well as catcher. He has shown something this year and when he gets more consistant atbats the better he looks

ibejoe

Liked Posts:
When are the Cubs going to get rid of Theo? 120 game starting rotation no bu;;pen at all and of course the blame is going to go on Madden, He is not the problem Theo is,

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
When are the Cubs going to get rid of Theo? 120 game starting rotation no bu;;pen at all and of course the blame is going to go on Madden, He is not the problem Theo is,

I agree with you. It's up to Ricketts. Joe gets too much blame for Theo's screw ups. Not that Joe hasn't made mistakes, he has plenty, but if you give him a pile of shit to work with what else can he do.

Theo and these #s guys also don't like guys bunting. So when it's 1st and 2nd and Happ is up w/ no outs, in a game where 1 run may win you the ball game, is it Joe that doesn't want Happ to lay down a bunt OR is it Theo who's analytics says bunting is 'bad' and never bunt. Happ and most of the team probably don't even know how to lay down a bunt.

I really hate this era of baseball. All these #'s guy have ruined it. There is a place for #s and analyitics, but seems like it's gone too overboard in today's game.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I agree with you. It's up to Ricketts. Joe gets too much blame for Theo's screw ups. Not that Joe hasn't made mistakes, he has plenty, but if you give him a pile of shit to work with what else can he do.

Theo and these #s guys also don't like guys bunting. So when it's 1st and 2nd and Happ is up w/ no outs, in a game where 1 run may win you the ball game, is it Joe that doesn't want Happ to lay down a bunt OR is it Theo who's analytics says bunting is 'bad' and never bunt. Happ and most of the team probably don't even know how to lay down a bunt.

I really hate this era of baseball. All these #'s guy have ruined it. There is a place for #s and analyitics, but seems like it's gone too overboard in today's game.

There's one thing about that philosophy there and the situation. Theo has to fire you afterwards. Or the coach benches you afterwards. My point being, the manager makes the call in the moment, and the player decides what he's going to do. There are consequences to bucking the system. Baseball is a game where failure is the norm.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
I"m glad the Cub fans on this board keep it real. Before here I use to post on the reddit Cubs sub chicubs. So many god damn idiot cub fans on there. Seriously - there is a thread on there about trading Bryant - and half the dipshits on there don't want to trade him because he 'looks good' or 'he's too cute'. WTF!!!! Infuriates me!

I'm glad I found this semi-oasis.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I"m glad the Cub fans on this board keep it real. Before here I use to post on the reddit Cubs sub chicubs. So many god damn idiot cub fans on there. Seriously - there is a thread on there about trading Bryant - and half the dipshits on there don't want to trade him because he 'looks good' or 'he's too cute'. WTF!!!! Infuriates me!

I'm glad I found this semi-oasis.

I'd be open to trading Bryant, but I'd want the return to be worth it. No real idea what that would be. In a package for Syndergaard? Go crazy for DeGrom? It's always in what's the get back. If you told me they were doing a semi-blow up and rebuild with some arm prospects coming back, I wouldn't whine.

This has been the best 5 year stretch the Cubs have had in my life. I got to see a title. Two more years before I really start bitching.

garapp

Liked Posts:
1. No
2. Yes
3. no
4. Hyun-Jin Ryu
5. Joe Guardi
6. Core is still young. They need to let Zo and Cole go.
7. Yu is a MLB ace. Ryu would slot between him and Hendricks.

So on your questions I feel those are the intelligent answers.

A bigger question is who is leading off. It should be Rizzo. There is not a lead off out there unless you are really looking to make a deep splash move.

Now a deep splash...ok going to get hammered on this but fuck it this season is over and might as well.

Make a deal for Francisco Lindor. Clevland is not going to be able to retain the guy and will want to get a big haul out of him. The obvious return is Nico. I personally would not do this.

But I would make a offer of Amaya, Davis and Alozay. With out even batting an eye. Marquez would be off limits and swapping Ademan for one of the 3 would be fine. If they wanted a MLB SS in return then Russell added in.

That would bring in a All star hitter to start at SS. Baez moves to 3B and Nico plays 2B. Which improves the D and O in the IF.

Bryant gets pushed to RF.

Adding Ryu stabilizes the top of the rotation. The pen I believe needs to be farm built.

They could become competitive next year with these few moves.
I agree with you on everything but Zobrist. I know he will be 39, but he is versitile, great clubhouse guy, good veteran prescence.

Sign him for a year and keep him as long as he can hit .250

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with you on everything but Zobrist. I know he will be 39, but he is versitile, great clubhouse guy, good veteran prescence.

Sign him for a year and keep him as long as he can hit .250

Nope

Age= Injury.