Two Existential Problems Facing the Bears This Season

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whatever, shit games happen. Not a big deal. Good news was Bears didn't quit after getting their ass whooped for two solid quarters. I liked the way they battled back. This was just one game and I don't really give a fuck about it.

However, looking more broadly, there are 2 problems that are existential in nature for this team imo and transcend a single game crap performance.

QB situation isn't one of them. Its not getting fixed this year, so whatever, bears have to work around it. It just is what it is.

This is what I am talking about tho:

1. Shit run blocking. Just fucking awful. Pass blocking is meh, but workable. Run blocking has been shit all year and bears are in big trouble if they can't do something about it

2. Undisciplined play. Bears were least penalized team last year. This year, fuckidiot penalties like taunting and false start every game. Fuck that. Undisciplined in the secondary too with sometimes shit angles and shit tackling effort.

If these two factors don't get fixed bears are in trouble unless Trubs suddenly becomes a stud.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the run blocking is so infuriating

how much of the problem is Long?

How much of the problem is the Daniels/Whitehair swap? And what the fuck happened to these two? They should be fucking maulers. Nagy and Hiestand are blowing it with the OL.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'd say the Bears are in trouble. Bears are an average team in a loaded division/conference. Highly unlikely they can make the playoffs playing like this.

They're absolutely in trouble....the division and conf are tough....the only silver lining is losing to an afc team doesnt hurt in the toe breaker scenarios at the end of the season....which most assuredly there will be in the nfc

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
There are a lot of problems to talk about but imo the biggest one is still the question mark at the QB position

Taking a macro view, beyond the loss today, and beyond even this season, the biggest question is whether the Bears have a QB and right now it looks like they don't. People are starting to question whether Nagy or Pace are even the right guys for their jobs.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The way I’m seeing it long and Leno look like trash

Leno looks slow lethargic and penalty prone
Long is letting guys get pass him without even touching them. Idk how that is even possible

Running backs are mediocre as fuck also. It’s not just blocking

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
They're absolutely in trouble....the division and conf are tough....the only silver lining is losing to an afc team doesnt hurt in the toe breaker scenarios at the end of the season....which most assuredly there will be in the nfc

I hate toe breaker scenarios at the end of my coffee table. Hurts like a motherfucker.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There are a lot of problems to talk about but imo the biggest one is still the question mark at the QB position

Taking a macro view, beyond the loss today, and beyond even this season, the biggest question is whether the Bears have a QB and right now it looks like they don't. People are starting to question whether Nagy or Pace are even the right guys for their jobs.

I think you are conflating the biggest question mark that the GM has to address vs. the biggest question mark the head coach has to address.

We need a QB bad and number one priority in offseason for sure.

But right now, losing games comes down more so to bad and sloppy play from all over the field and is a bigger problem than getting a QB to manage the game. The O-line is playing so poorly that not even a game manager is set up to even manage a basic offense. That is number one for the team moving forward with an eye to more wins.

QB is by far the biggest need to fill but granting that it can't be filled, the team needs to focus and play disciplined, average level professional fucking football. That is what matters most right now.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I think you are conflating the biggest question mark that the GM has to address vs. the biggest question mark the head coach has to address.

But right now, losing games comes down more so to bad and sloppy play from all over the field and is a bigger problem than getting a QB to manage the game. The O-line is playing so poorly that not even a game manager is set up to even manage a basic offense. That is number one for the team moving forward with an eye to more wins.

QB is by far the biggest need to fill but granting that it can't be filled, the team needs to focus and play disciplined, average level professional fucking football. That is what matters most right now.

If we don't have a QB; if we concede or assume that point, then it really doesn't matter whether we win games this season. One could argue that it's better if we do lose them; for draft position.

Everything kinda comes back around to that QB position. I think a lot of you make some very good points about the weak spots of this team which I agree with. But we can improve the Oline all we want, is it going to matter if Trubisky continues to look like a bottom 10 QB? I don't think so.

greg23

Liked Posts:

True

But the oline has generally been in place for 1.25 years and clearly looks better with long NOT part of the oline (last year and vs min)

MAKE THE FUKING MOVE

Hell...maybe coward sucks or gets hurt quickly and you get a pissed off long back in the lineup. It's not working now and they have 2 weeks to do something.

All that said, nothing will change.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If we don't have a QB; if we concede or assume that point, then it really doesn't matter whether we win games this season. One could argue that it's better if we do lose them; for draft position.

Everything kinda comes back around to that QB position. I think a lot of you make some very good points about the weak spots of this team which I agree with. But we can improve the Oline all we want, is it going to matter if Trubisky continues to look like a bottom 10 QB? I don't think so.

What? Yes it does. W-L record absolutely matters this season even if we can only get below average managing type QB play from either of them. You are just flat-out wrong here.

KCbear

Liked Posts:

How much of the problem is the Daniels/Whitehair swap? And what the fuck happened to these two? They should be fucking maulers. Nagy and Hiestand are blowing it with the OL.
I totally agree... I can’t figure out why the run blocking is so bad. I honestly at this point do think that Long is deteriorating and they should probably let cowherd or Larsen (if healthy) play until Long is closer to himself (if ever)

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
True

But the oline has generally been in place for 1.25 years and clearly looks better with long NOT part of the oline (last year and vs min)

MAKE THE FUKING MOVE

Hell...maybe coward sucks or gets hurt quickly and you get a pissed off long back in the lineup. It's not working now and they have 2 weeks to do something.

All that said, nothing will change.

I haven't seen the game yet. But if he stunk it up again, I would absolutely make the move and put Coward in for the Saints game and beyond. He has looked done in the first quarter of the season. Coward at least looks physically capable of playing the position and might give us a right side of the line that can get something (read: anything) going in the run game. If he turns out to be bad, what have we lost?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Long is terrible bot. When he was out last game our run blocking was decent. I feel bad for his decline but RG is a must this offseason

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
Whatever, shit games happen. Not a big deal. Good news was Bears didn't quit after getting their ass whooped for two solid quarters. I liked the way they battled back. This was just one game and I don't really give a fuck about it.

However, looking more broadly, there are 2 problems that are existential in nature for this team imo and transcend a single game crap performance.

QB situation isn't one of them. Its not getting fixed this year, so whatever, bears have to work around it. It just is what it is.

This is what I am talking about tho:

1. Shit run blocking. Just fucking awful. Pass blocking is meh, but workable. Run blocking has been shit all year and bears are in big trouble if they can't do something about it

2. Undisciplined play. Bears were least penalized team last year. This year, fuckidiot penalties like taunting and false start every game. Fuck that. Undisciplined in the secondary too with sometimes shit angles and shit tackling effort.

If these two factors don't get fixed bears are in trouble unless Trubs suddenly becomes a stud.
Definitely need to have a replacement for Long. I would like them hold their players more accountable..i.e. Leno and Miller. Maybe bench their asses for a series or two.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
1. O line. They have to play better. Leno is been average to bad but more importantly he seems to take 1-2 holding penalties per game. Just unacceptable.

How is long not benched? How can anyone look back at the tape and justify playing him??? It’s maddening.

2. No playmakers outside of Allen robinson. Cohen is looking more like a flash in the pan and Montgomery is solid but that’s all. This team has no one besides Allen robinson that you can count on for anything.

The offense is an absolute mess from top to bottom.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
There are 2 teams better than the bears in the division. Barring a major sack up, the bears are going to be lumped up and out of luck in the end. They’ll have no 1st round pick. Not much cap to sign outside guys. And the raiders 2nd could potentially be a late 2nd.

How do you fix it? Do whatever the fuck you can to fix the OL. I’d send Hiestand packing. Long should be on the bench now. But whatever happens, they have to figure out the RG position. Leno - He has always been good. Be hard on him but chalk it up to the Hiestand effect. Bears have no choice as he’s locked up.

2nd round QB is definitely in play barring a major Tribusky turnaround when he comes back. He’s not only playing for a potential super bowl, but he’s playing for his job. Let’s see what he’s got.