Updated NFC Playoff Picture: An overall good day for the Wild Card race

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Sunday went pretty well for a Bears fan, with most NFC Wild Card contenders losing. Could’ve been better. Could’ve been worse. Let’s take a look.

49ers (5-0) beat the Rams (3-3)
For the Bears: Net positive
Bottom Line: Bears now lead the Rams in the NFC Wild Card race, which is good, because there are three NFC West teams who think they’re going to the playoffs. The Bears are now ahead of one of those teams, which is one more than they were ahead of to start the day. At 5-0, the 49ers aren’t going to miss the playoffs. At this point, root for the 9ers and hope they beat every NFC team they play.

Jets (1-4) beat the Cowboys (3-3)
For the Bears: Unequivocal positive
Bottom Line: The Bears now lead the Cowboys in the NFC Wild Card race, something that wasn’t true at the start of the day. The Cowboys’ offense is legit, but let’s hope this rough spot lasts as long as possible. The way things are going, that Chicago/Dallas tilt in December may be verrryyy significant. We’ll see. The NFC East, once so daunting toward the top, is now looking like a division the NFC North can steal a Wild Card spot from.

Vikings (4-2) beat the Eagles (3-3)
For the Bears: I’d argue net positive, but TBD.
Bottom Line: I started the day rooting for the Eagles. After surveying the rest of the league at the end of the day, though, I do think there are more positives at this point in the season to the Eagles losing, versus the Vikings losing. Yes, the Vikings are in-division. But the Bears currently own the tiebreak, and I’m not afraid of a Kirk Cousins-led team down the stretch, especially since the Bears are already up a game on them. At this point, right now, it’s at least *slightly* more important that the Eagles lose (and the Cowboys and as many NFC West teams as possible) so that the NFC North can snatch that second Wild Card spot out of the grasp of the NFC East and NFC West. I say the second Wild Card spot because....

Seahawks (5-1) beat the Browns (2-4)
For the Bears: Unequivocal negative
Bottom Line: In one of just a few no-brainer negative outcome for the Bears on Sunday, the Seahawks vaulting to 5-1 means, like the 9ers, they’ve built such a cushion to start the year, it’s going to be extremely difficult to pierce those leads. I feel comfortable saying now that the Seahawks and 49ers will both make the playoffs, meaning there’s basically one NFC playoff spot open for several teams.

Saints (5-1) beat Jaguars (2-4)
For the Bears: Unequivocal negative, but ultimately neutral.
Bottom Line: The Saints were/are going to win the NFC South anyway. That spot’s locked up in my mind, irrespective of what happened in this game. I was hoping for a Saints loss because they’re playing an AFC team without playoff implications for the Bears and because it was my hope Bridgewater would fall back down to earth in this game, on the eve of his return to Soldier Field, a la Ryan Fitzpatrick last year. I guess it was too much to hope for.

Panthers (4-2) beat Buccaneers (2-4)
For the Bears: Net negative
Bottom Line: This win vaulted the Panthers ahead of the Bears in the NFC Wild Card race. How much do you believe in this team? How much do you believe in their 4-2 start? The answer to that question will determine whether you’re scared or not of the threat this team can place on the Bears’ playoff chances. Are you all aboard the Kyle Allen train?

Packers (4-1) and Lions (2-1-1) (Monday night football)
For the Bears: Pick your poison.
Bottom Line: There are positives and negatives to be gleaned from whatever result we get from this matchup. If the Packers lose, there’s a chance the Bears could be leading the NFC North within a week. If the Lions lose, they fall behind the Bears in the division and Wild Card race. I’d tend to root for the Lions in this one, because I do think if you spot the Packers a 5-1 start in the division, they ain’t letting that go. And like Cousins and Minnesota, a Matt Patricia led Detroit team doesn’t inspire confidence down the stretch in a playoff race. That said, I don’t see the Lions winning this game. I see them losing this big, and I see I potentially breaking them after coming so close against the Chiefs. Anything is possible, though.

NFC Playoff Picture:

1. 49ers (5-0)
2. Saints (5-1)
3. Packers (4-1)
4. Cowboys (3-3)
5. Seahawks (5-1)
6. Vikings (4-2)
7. Panthers (4-2)
8. Lions (2-1-1)
9. Bears (3-2)
10. Eagles (3-3)
11. Rams (3-3)

One-week scenarios:

The Bears would jump into the #8 spot with a Lions loss against the Packers.

The Bears could jump into the #6 spot with a win against the Saints at Soldier Field next Sunday.

For those feeling ambitious, the Bears could jump into the NFC North lead and into the #4 overall spot with a win against the Saints, and two Packers losses to the Lions and Raiders over the next week, with a Lions win against the Vikings in Detroit next Sunday.

A Bears loss to the Saints could drop them to 11th out of the 11 teams vying for the playoffs in the NFC.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sunday pretty well for a Bears fan, with most NFC Wild Card contenders losing. Could’ve been better. Could’ve been worse. Let’s take a look.

49ers (5-0) beat the Rams (3-3)
For the Bears: Net positive
Bottom Line: Bears now lead the Rams in the NFC Wild Card race, which is good, because there are three NFC West teams who think they’re going to the playoffs. The Bears are now ahead of one of those teams, which is one more than they were ahead of to start the day. At 5-0, the 49ers aren’t going to miss the playoffs. At this point, root for the 9ers and hope they beat every NFC team they play.

Jets (1-4) beat the Cowboys (3-3)
For the Bears: Unequivocal positive
Bottom Line: The Bears now lead the Cowboys in the NFC Wild Card race, something that wasn’t true at the start of the day. The Cowboys’ offense is legit, but let’s hope this rough spot lasts as long as possible. The way things are going, that Chicago/Dallas tilt in December may be verrryyy significant. We’ll see. The NFC East, once so daunting toward the top, is now looking like a division the NFC North can steal a Wild Card spot from.

Vikings (4-2) beat the Eagles (3-3)
For the Bears: I’d argue net positive, but TBD.
Bottom Line: I started the day rooting for the Eagles. After surveying the rest of the league at the end of the day, though, I do think there are more positives at this point in the season to the Eagles losing, versus the Vikings losing. Yes, the Vikings are in-division. But the Bears currently own the tiebreak, and I’m not afraid of a Kirk Cousins-led team down the stretch, especially since the Bears are already up a game on them. At this point, right now, it’s at least *slightly* more important that the Eagles lose (and the Cowboys and as many NFC West teams as possible) so that the NFC North can snatch that second Wild Card spot out of the grasp of the NFC East and NFC West. I say the second Wild Card spot because....

Seahawks (5-1) beat the Browns (2-4)
For the Bears: Unequivocal negative
Bottom Line: In one of just a few no-brainer negative outcome for the Bears on Sunday, the Seahawks vaulting to 5-1 means, like the 9ers, they’ve built such a cushion to start the year, it’s going to be extremely difficult to pierce those leads. I feel comfortable saying now that the Seahawks and 49ers will both make the playoffs, meaning there’s basically one NFC playoff spot open for several teams.

Saints (5-1) beat Jaguars (2-4)
For the Bears: Unequivocal negative, but ultimately neutral.
Bottom Line: The Saints were/are going to win the NFC South anyway. That spot’s locked up in my mind, irrespective of what happened in this game. I was hoping for a Saints loss because they’re playing an AFC team without playoff implications for the Bears and because it was my hope Bridgewater would fall back down to earth in this game, on the eve of his return to Soldier Field, a la Ryan Fitzpatrick last year. I guess it was too much to hope for.

Panthers (4-2) beat Buccaneers (2-4)
For the Bears: Net negative
Bottom Line: This win vaulted the Panthers ahead of the Bears in the NFC Wild Card race. How much do you believe in this team? How much do you believe in their 4-2 start? The answer to that question will determine whether you’re scared or not of the threat this team can place on the Bears’ playoff chances. Are you all aboard the Kyle Allen train?

Packers (4-1) and Lions (2-1-1) (Monday night football)
For the Bears: Pick your poison.
Bottom Line: There are positives and negatives to be gleaned from whatever result we get from this matchup. If the Packers lose, there’s a chance the Bears could be leading the NFC North within a week. If the Lions lose, they fall behind the Bears in the division and Wild Card race. I’d tend to root for the Lions in this one, because I do think if you spot the Packers a 5-1 start in the division, they ain’t letting that go. And like Cousins and Minnesota, a Matt Patricia led Detroit team doesn’t inspire confidence down the stretch in a playoff race. That said, I don’t see the Lions winning this game. I see them losing this big, and I see I potentially breaking them after coming so close against the Chiefs. Anything is possible, though.

NFC Playoff Picture:

1. 49ers (5-0)
2. Saints (5-1)
3. Packers (4-1)
4. Cowboys (3-3)
5. Seahawks (5-1)
6. Vikings (4-2)
7. Panthers (4-2)
8. Lions (2-1-1)
9. Bears (3-2)
10. Eagles (3-3)
11. Rams (3-3)

One-week scenarios:

The Bears would jump into the #8 spot with a Lions loss against the Packers.

The Bears could jump into the #6 spot with a win against the Saints at Soldier Field next Sunday.

For those feeling ambitious, the Bears could jump into the NFC North lead and into the #4 overall spot with a win against the Saints, and two Packers losses to the Lions and Raiders over the next week, with a Lions win against the Vikings in Detroit next Sunday.

A Bears loss to the Saints could drop them to 11th out of the 11 teams vying for the playoffs in the NFC.

Niners and Hawks play each other twice yet, both have some tough games ahead. Cowboys you have overrated IMO, they just lost to the Jets for gawds sake.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
So, The Bears have the toughest schedule in the league, and are sitting at 9th place after the easiest part of their schedule? No way the Bears get into the playoffs, heck even a winning season will be hard.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
So, The Bears have the toughest schedule in the league, and are sitting at 9th place after the easiest part of their schedule? No way the Bears get into the playoffs, heck even a winning season will be hard.
11-5 will be the mark, I can’t see the Bears getting there with there inept offence. San Fran 5-0, Seattle 4-1 it’s going to take a monumental collapse to not see either of those teams in the playoffs. The loss to Oakland will be detrimental for this team, barring a miracle they will be on the outside looking in after 16 weeks.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Niners and Hawks play each other twice yet, both have some tough games ahead. Cowboys you have overrated IMO, they just lost to the Jets for gawds sake.

I agree that the Cowboys are subpar as far as NFC playoff contenders go. That list is the current standings, not my personal ranking.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I agree that the Cowboys are subpar as far as NFC playoff contenders go. That list is the current standings, not my personal ranking.
It will between the cowboys and eagles, the winner of that division will be in playoffs, Eagles looked like crap today versus the Vikings.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Remember last year? We lost to the Giants and Mia. We drop games against bad teams every year and win a few no one expects us too.
The difference was the schedule last year. I am certainly not shutting the season down for our Bears, but it will be a uphill battle starting with the Saints.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Too many 3-3 or similar teams. The problem with the NFC is there are two awful teams (Atlanta, Washington), three meh teams that are capable of playing awfully or fairly decent (Giants when healthy, Bucs, Cards) and then you see about 11 teams of varying level of good. Because of that, the playoffs are likely going to take 9 wins. If you look at the rest of the schedule, the Bears have

6 home games
New Orleans, LA Chargers, Dallas, NY Giants, Kansas City, Detroit

5 road games
@ Philadelphia, @ LA Rams, @ Detroit, @ Minnesota, @ Green Bay

So the Bears have zero games against the awful teams left, one game at home against the meh team, and then 10 games that are against varying levels of good/average teams. Because of that, the margin is insanely thin and IMO, I just don't see it for them this year.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Remember last year? We lost to the Giants and Mia. We drop games against bad teams every year and win a few no one expects us too.
Take a look at the schedule, this is not last yea, last year they faced 3 playoff teams. And one of them was the very iffy WC Seahawks, and they faced them at the beginning of the season, when they sucked.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The difference was the schedule last year. I am certainly not shutting the season down for our Bears, but it will be a uphill battle starting with the Saints.
Up hill battle might be a good thing. We let down against bad teams. This will make the team fight harder and be more playoff ready if we get there.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will between the cowboys and eagles, the winner of that division will be in playoffs, Eagles looked like crap today versus the Vikings.
Well yeah, that is not what the thread is about. We are talking WC potential here.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Well yeah, that is not what the thread is about. We are talking WC potential here.
Well either of those teams still have Wildcard potential with the obvious chance of winning there division

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Up hill battle might be a good thing. We let down against bad teams. This will make the team fight harder and be more playoff ready if we get there.
Bah, that is a homer statement if there ever was one. Bears last 4 games is no cake walk Cowboys-Packers-Chiefs-Vikings.

All teams with playoff aspirations and they all could potentially be in win at all costs mode, either looking for a bye or facing WC elimination.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I would agree with you but something isn’t there, Mitchell is struggling, besides Rob, our offence looks terrible, the oline is brutal and there is no running game, zero, nothing. It’s hard pressed to be optimistic. They can fight, scratch and crawl but if you can’t catch or throw a ball further than 12 yards it will be more than a uphill battle.