Now that the season is over

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If you read my OP it was fixed in the starting 8.

SS Baez

These are fixed positions.

But I just see you main priories as a guy that can play CF and a guy that can play SS at league avg. Then a back up catcher.

Caratini is a exception as back up catcher.

Sometimes it's like all your posts exist in these separate little universes with no connection between them. It's very difficult to figure out what you actually believe.

Do the Cubs have a SS or do they not have a SS? Do the Cubs have a backup C or do they not have a backup C? Schrodinger's infield, perhaps?

So you want players that can play OF and IF. Their difference is if they are a back up lead off or a middle of the order bat. IE SLG or OBA.

Across MLB, the best .SLG players routinely hit in in the first four spots in the order. Where are you coming up with the weird idea that they need to be stuck in the middle of the lineup with a bunch of scrappy OBP slap-hitters in front of them? It's like you're trying to fit guys in these outdated 1980's prototypes and it doesn't make much sense.

So basically 3 guy we are talking about. Happ player just about every position outside of catcher. He is in and a middle of the order bat.

If the Cubs are relying on Ian Happ as a "middle of the order bat" then he's either made a significant development leap that literally no one is expecting or the Cubs are in for a disappointing 2020.

2nd guy Descalso. If his injury was a huge reason for his tank job. IMO bad signing but Theo was looking at his OBA which was around .350 the 3 year previous. His BA has always been sub avg.

Descalso's awfulness had nothing to do with his injury and everything to do with the fact that Descalso is a AAAA baseball player and every bit of evidence in his history backs this unequivocally.

Bote IMO is far more limited. Player 2 positions league avg. 3B/1B. Can be an emergency SS but you put your self at risk by doing so. OBA was decent .362 but his SLG was not .422 So he could be a back up lead off but he is limited to 2 positions which is not flexible. And not worth a roster spot. If he could play corner OF and lead off vs lefties then this dialog changes.

Bote deserves his roster spot far more than Descalso or Russell, that's for sure. To say he isn't even worth his roster spot is just an incredibly bad take.

But I just see you main priories as a guy that can play CF and a guy that can play SS at league avg. Then a back up catcher. Then a power bat that you can move around.

The best 2 are Russell and Almora and Almora failed vs LHP. Russell is a train wreck.

Almora: 64 wRC+ -1.1 DEF. He should be in the minors. 36% worse than a avg MLBP and brings minus value D.
Russell 81 wRC+ 3.3 DEF so he holds value. But he is 20% worse than a avg MLBP at the plate.

So this is really painting a real pix of what the team needs are.

The need for a starting CF is legit but saying Almora should be in the minors is just vindictive, disappointed fan-talk about a player who's been underwhelming but still has value in a more limited role. He doesn't "bring minus value D," that's you fixating on this most recent season while ignoring his entire body of work. Lots of Cubs players took a step back defensively this season, which I think is fair to attribute to Maddon's management style--Loretta straight dimed him out on that. Almora is cheap, under team control, and can still be a capable fourth OF and defensive replacement. His bat is not as bad as it was this year. The only reason to move him would be to clear space for someone else (that player doesn't exist), or to get a better return (which will not be forthcoming).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sometimes it's like all your posts exist in these separate little universes with no connection between them. It's very difficult to figure out what you actually believe.

Do the Cubs have a SS or do they not have a SS? Do the Cubs have a backup C or do they not have a backup C? Schrodinger's infield, perhaps?

Across MLB, the best .SLG players routinely hit in in the first four spots in the order. Where are you coming up with the weird idea that they need to be stuck in the middle of the lineup with a bunch of scrappy OBP slap-hitters in front of them? It's like you're trying to fit guys in these outdated 1980's prototypes and it doesn't make much sense.

If the Cubs are relying on Ian Happ as a "middle of the order bat" then he's either made a significant development leap that literally no one is expecting or the Cubs are in for a disappointing 2020.

Descalso's awfulness had nothing to do with his injury and everything to do with the fact that Descalso is a AAAA baseball player and every bit of evidence in his history backs this unequivocally.

Bote deserves his roster spot far more than Descalso or Russell, that's for sure. To say he isn't even worth his roster spot is just an incredibly bad take.

The need for a starting CF is legit but saying Almora should be in the minors is just vindictive, disappointed fan-talk about a player who's been underwhelming but still has value in a more limited role. He doesn't "bring minus value D," that's you fixating on this most recent season while ignoring his entire body of work. Lots of Cubs players took a step back defensively this season, which I think is fair to attribute to Maddon's management style--Loretta straight dimed him out on that. Almora is cheap, under team control, and can still be a capable fourth OF and defensive replacement. His bat is not as bad as it was this year. The only reason to move him would be to clear space for someone else (that player doesn't exist), or to get a better return (which will not be forthcoming).

Almora has N-E-V-E-R B-E-E-N L-E-A-G-U-E. A-V-G

at the plate. This year was a complete regression.

Capisce?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Almora has N-E-V-E-R B-E-E-N L-E-A-G-U-E. A-V-G

at the plate. This year was a complete regression.

Capisce?

Amazing. It's almost as if you've constructed--out of thin air--a point I didn't make, so that you can attack it, instead of addressing what I actually wrote. If only there were a word for this type of thing...

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Even debating the value of Almora just shows the sad state of the Cubs.

Teams with real talent like the Yankees, Astros and Dodgers dont even mess with a guy like Almora and have him in the mix for anything substantial. Gotta raise stands and expectations

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Even debating the value of Almora just shows the sad state of the Cubs.

Teams with real talent like the Yankees, Astros and Dodgers dont even mess with a guy like Almora and have him in the mix for anything substantial. Gotta raise stands and expectations

If true, then you are the Almora of this board, with the temperment of Milton Bradley Jr.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
2. They need to define next year. Are they doing a reshuffle or are they adding again?

This is the big question this offseason, and no one outside the front office knows the answer. They might not even know the answer yet. I'm not sure they can upgrade the rotation and bullpen enough to be legitimate contenders over the next two years, and that calls into question whether it's smarter to treat the next two seasons as a transition--weather some back-end bad money on Lester and Heyward, etc., and move pieces that still have value. Seems a shame to do when Rizzo, Bryant, Baez are all still in their primes, though.

Long story short is they're in some danger of getting caught in-between. It will be interesting to see what their plan is.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
As usual, too stupid to add anything substantial to the conversation

Luv how you stole a page from Dennison's playbook, something the rest of us moved past when we reached 7 years old: I'm rubber, you're glue.

You repeatedly call others stupid, snowflakes, racist, poor, uneducated.

Every poster on this board associates you with those descriptors above anyone else here. Think about it loser.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lets hope Caratini is the backup catcher and first baseman. Lets see if the new manager lets Rizzo play everyday when he is 2-45 starting the season or gives him days off. This will be the very interesting part if its Rossy.

Even with Almora at max arby, 1.8, his defensive glove still works on the bench. You are not going to find a better center fielder for that money to be a fourth outfielder, and the key to next year is keeping Heyward the fuck out of center field.

Contrares/Caratini Baez, Nico, Almora is that D you want to have up the middle.

But the next thing you need to see from these guys is how they actually play for someone else. How many times have I posted to exhaustion, Bote or Almora with a big hit, game winning RBI, and the reward is being on the bench the next game because of some algorithm? When a guy is hot, you sometimes need to throw the computer out.

There was a thread about who regressed and who improved under Maddon, I guess now we see.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Even with Almora at max arby, 1.8, his defensive glove still works on the bench. You are not going to find a better center fielder for that money to be a fourth outfielder, and the key to next year is keeping Heyward the fuck out of center field.

THIS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

That is your statement.

2016: 3.3 DEF
2017: 1.3 DEF
2018: 3.4 DEF
2019: -1.1 DEF

2016: DRS: 0
2017: -1
2018: 9
2019: -5

He had 1 good year as a player. last year. the rest of his production has been league avg or worse. His D is all hype.

O wise
2016: 101 wRC+ (117 PA in favored matchups)
2017: 104 wRC+(323 PA again majority favored match up)
2018: 89 wRC+ (saw more RH pitching)
2019: 64 wRC+ (bottom fell out)

All I am seeing here is hype.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
That is your statement.

He had 1 good year as a player. last year. the rest of his production has been league avg or worse. His D is all hype.

O wise

To be perfectly unbiased here but he did gain some weight last year leading to a decline so
it could have been (not saying it was destined to btw)
a sign of an above average player born if he didn't try to hit more for power

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But as far as the bench is concerned I see the locks as Happ, Caratini and Kemp.

F/A
Jarrod Dyson 35 YO. LH bat. Had a 7.8 DEF last year. 5 DRS in CF.
I would see him as a 26 man. Bat is meh. but D is very strong. He can run also. 30 SB last year. So it is a interesting element late game swaps. PR then take over CF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To be perfectly unbiased here but he did gain some weight last year leading to a decline so
it could have been (not saying it was destined to btw)
a sign of an above average born if he didn't try to hit more for power

Being Bias here. He grew his hair out and looked sloppy. IMO he got too comfy

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
But as far as the bench is concerned I see the locks as Happ, Caratini and Kemp.

F/A
Jarrod Dyson 35 YO. LH bat. Had a 7.8 DEF last year. 5 DRS in CF.
I would see him as a 26 man. Bat is meh. but D is very strong. He can run also. 30 SB last year. So it is a interesting element late game swaps. PR then take over CF.
Isn't there someone at least in their early thirty's that we can target out there?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Isn't there someone at least in their early thirty's that we can target out there?

Ya but you don't want to pay his upkeep. Billy Hamilton (29) — $7.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout. If you can get him for 4-5M he is a clear upgrade. Most likely the best D CF in the game. One of the fastest players in baseball. And brings a fly swatter to the plate.

I am 100% against investing into a bench player by nature. The PA's don't justify the contract. Dysen most likely sits at 2-3M which is fine for a limited roll player. Billy would get 5M on a non contender.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Have to say but why are you here if you've got nothing but negative things to say?
You are just pissed that I called you out for plagiarizing that article last week.

Dumbshit, do you understand the copyright laws and the jeopardy you place the owners of this forum under.....fucking idiot

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That is your statement.

O wise

CSF77: "You have to evaluate a roster on what your eyes see, not just what you see on a statsheet."

Also CSF77: "Almora's defense is all hype because the statsheet says so."

Will you please, just please try to maintain a coherent baseball worldview for once?