Now that the season is over

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
3B/2B

He gets a lot of hate on here for some reason, but he put up a 12.4 BB% and .362 OBP last year. He's not speedy but he's a good baserunner. If you're looking internally for good leadoff candidates, he and Happ, or Heyward against RHP, have to be at the top of the list.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
3B/2B

He gets a lot of hate on here for some reason, but he put up a 12.4 BB% and .362 OBP last year. He's not speedy but he's a good baserunner. If you're looking internally for good leadoff candidates, he and Happ, or Heyward against RHP, have to be at the top of the list.
apparently you missed the two week stint of Heyward going 2-40 from the leadoff spot.

Heyward needs a very low pressure spot in the batting order, a confined spot in right field. Best case, he needs to go.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
3B/2B

Agree in a sense that we really don't have much candidates right now

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Agree in a sense that we really don't have much candidates right now

The Nationals would become an interesting trade partner if Rendon leaves via FA and the Cubs can't work out an extension with Bryant. They'd be in win-now with that SP and probably desperate to replace his production. The Cubs would have the leverage. Soto's almost certainly untouchable, but I bet Turner and Robles are gettable. That solves the leadoff and CF problems, and keeps Heyward in RF, and gives you defense upgrades across the board.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
The Nationals would become an interesting trade partner if Rendon leaves via FA and the Cubs can't work out an extension with Bryant. They'd be in win-now with that SP and probably desperate to replace his production. The Cubs would have the leverage. Soto's almost certainly untouchable, but I bet Turner and Robles are gettable. That solves the leadoff and CF problems, and keeps Heyward in RF, and gives you defense upgrades across the board.
I don't know about that though sir.
Turner and Robles has more cheap control right?
I don't think a contending team like the Nationals will give up their regulars.
Especially with speed and good center fielders being scarce around all of baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can't think of a natural position for him but where do you think he fits the most?

He is fine on a small market that can not afford to pay the going rates for player like Rendon. Like I said Jed Gyrko. 2B/3B bat. Team like KC would let him get every day play where he can develop into a regular every day player.

Let's be honest here. He was on the ropes in the minors and Theo gambled on him. For the most part he has exceded what he should have been able to do as a MLB player. The fact he got a MLB contract was very generous of Theo all things considered

I have no beef with him but I disagree with Joe that Bryant should be moved off 3B. He is the starter. Not the back up. If your bench is not flexible enough then fix that problem vs tossing your starters around the diamond to cover up a real lacking in team depth.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
He is fine on a small market that can not afford to pay the going rates for player like Rendon. Like I said Jed Gyrko. 2B/3B bat. Team like KC would let him get every day play where he can develop into a regular every day player.

Let's be honest here. He was on the ropes in the minors and Theo gambled on him. For the most part he has exceded what he should have been able to do as a MLB player. The fact he got a MLB contract was very generous of Theo all things considered

I have no beef with him but I disagree with Joe that Bryant should be moved off 3B. He is the starter. Not the back up. If your bench is not flexible enough then fix that problem vs tossing your starters around the diamond to cover up a real lacking in team depth.

Kris Bryant may not be a Cub in a few months' time. Epstein was very candid in his presser about having tried to do long term deals with players in the past, and now needing to ask whether those guys would bring more in return than the Cubs would get out of them during a transition period for the roster. He was very obviously referring to Bryant, who is coincidentally the Cubs' best trade chip.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bares no weight in the decision process.

Trading Bryant really signals a turn over. Now I would get it if they believe that Nico is a SS. Then move Baez to 3B and go after Whit in a deal. Say Happ, Bote and a arm like Miller or Abbott Mills Rae etc. Maybe 2.

KC needs depth and adding a few slash types would be a good environment for them to develop as players.

But to be honest here. I believe he pays his arb cost and deals in the dead line. The market is bad for him to trade Bryant with 2 high end 3B going into FA

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
thing is, if there are more than 2 suitors, someone is not getting the third baseman they are looking for, and that is when all the purse strings are loose and trading for Bryant with prospects that might or might not pan out could end up getting him extended with 2 control years left for less than they were about to spend on Rendon and it will look like a bargain. Whoever signs Rendon is giving up their first round pick anyway.

There is clearly a route to move him if he declines a contract extension again.

Moving Happ or Bote as the two guys able to replace Zobrist as a jack of all trades does not sound like the smartest move to be making, let alone both of them, considering that Bote is probably going to be at third most often. I dont think too many teams thought that 5/15 million extension was too smart for Bote.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Bares no weight in the decision process.

Trading Bryant really signals a turn over. Now I would get it if they believe that Nico is a SS. Then move Baez to 3B and go after Whit in a deal. Say Happ, Bote and a arm like Miller or Abbott Mills Rae etc. Maybe 2.

KC needs depth and adding a few slash types would be a good environment for them to develop as players.

But to be honest here. I believe he pays his arb cost and deals in the dead line. The market is bad for him to trade Bryant with 2 high end 3B going into FA
I think what KC needs is pitching.
Dozier / Mondesi / Soler / Perez.
They have a couple of good position players but no pitching.
They might bite more on possible starter types imo.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant may not be a Cub in a few months' time. Epstein was very candid in his presser about having tried to do long term deals with players in the past, and now needing to ask whether those guys would bring more in return than the Cubs would get out of them during a transition period for the roster. He was very obviously referring to Bryant, who is coincidentally the Cubs' best trade chip.
Could the best chip be Contreras though?
We have the best backup in Caratini and have a boat load of good catching prospects (including Amaya) in the minors.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
We have the best backup in Caratini and have a boat load of good catching prospects (including Amaya) in the minors.

No. Bryant is an MVP and has nearly 30 WAR through five seasons. That's basically a HOF trajectory.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I think it has gone unnoticed, but Jhonny Pareda was named top defensive catcher in all of MiLB, so Amaya and Pareda, wow.

I just keep going back to Willson getting so much time off and only seemed to work with two out of five starters. You would think if it was a personal issue that by the fifth when the starter got pulled he would pinch hit and stay in the game.

I agree that Contrares might be a piece that goes. We will see if Ross gets the job to see how he really feels about the guy, but the future with Amaya and Pareda is solid, so we do have a bunch for one job.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
My guess is they'd put Baez at 3rd, Nico at SS, and either Happ or a traded for player at 2nd.

Please just stop with Nico at shortstop, that is a Theriot arm there. Second base should be his home. If Bryant is gone and Baez is going to third (bad idea) Russell will still be here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it has gone unnoticed, but Jhonny Pareda was named top defensive catcher in all of MiLB, so Amaya and Pareda, wow.

I just keep going back to Willson getting so much time off and only seemed to work with two out of five starters. You would think if it was a personal issue that by the fifth when the starter got pulled he would pinch hit and stay in the game.

I agree that Contrares might be a piece that goes. We will see if Ross gets the job to see how he really feels about the guy, but the future with Amaya and Pareda is solid, so we do have a bunch for one job.

They could just trade Contreras start Caratini and promote Pareda.