Blackhawks re-assign Adam Boqvist to AHL

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Kid needs to work on his D

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He made a few really nice defensive plays against Vegas. I am not really sure which of DeHaan or Matta do not fit here, maybe both,

Granada

Liked Posts:
He made a few really nice defensive plays against Vegas. I am not really sure which of DeHaan or Matta do not fit here, maybe both,

Other than the goal, De Haan looked awful last night. With this move, Murphy is probably coming back, so hopefully De Haan can take a bit of a back seat for the time being (until he finds his game).

I thought Boqvist was a bit of mixed bag while he was up, pretty much like any (normal) rookie. He won't have to clear waivers when he's sent down.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Other than the goal, De Haan looked awful last night. With this move, Murphy is probably coming back, so hopefully De Haan can take a bit of a back seat for the time being (until he finds his game).

I thought Boqvist was a bit of mixed bag while he was up, pretty much like any (normal) rookie. He won't have to clear waivers when he's sent down.

Stan Fubared alot of D men here, remember Trevor Daley? They tried to replace leddys offensive game (offensive points and offensive D) for a few years. When Q got Daley he was like, really?

Its the most aggravating part of watching the stans trainwreck. Go with Dach, fine, Byram did not make colorados team anyway, but give away Joker and sign 9 million worth of D men when we already had 17 million worth of D men here til 2021 anyway sure seemed like you would find a spot for Bovquist. I almost hope Beaudin gets called up next from Rockford to see what he has.

But in all honesty, Gus has been playing well since his scratch and might be too close to Kane to move now. Kukoo might still spell an old timer like Seabrook or Murphy (at least he should) on back to backs. But that probably wont happen.

I was just wondering to see if anyone else thought De Haan was a complete mistake by stan.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Stan Fubared alot of D men here, remember Trevor Daley? They tried to replace leddys offensive game (offensive points and offensive D) for a few years. When Q got Daley he was like, really?

Its the most aggravating part of watching the stans trainwreck. Go with Dach, fine, Byram did not make colorados team anyway, but give away Joker and sign 9 million worth of D men when we already had 17 million worth of D men here til 2021 anyway sure seemed like you would find a spot for Bovquist. I almost hope Beaudin gets called up next from Rockford to see what he has.

But in all honesty, Gus has been playing well since his scratch and might be too close to Kane to move now. Kukoo might still spell an old timer like Seabrook or Murphy (at least he should) on back to backs. But that probably wont happen.

I was just wondering to see if anyone else thought De Haan was a complete mistake by stan.

The Joker trade was dumb. Bowman figured he had Boqvist in the wings and didn't want both Joker and him, so he shipped Joker in a desperate attempt to strike top-six gold with Nylander, which was dumb. It was hard seeing Daley and even Kempny leave, only to have immediate success with their new teams. I was fine with shipping both out at the time, but seeing that was a kick in the balls.

Yeah Gus has been better, but he still makes some horrific mistakes.

I really wasn't as impressed as a lot of people were when Bowman acquired De Haan. I actually would have preferred Myers, but what do I know. De Haan just seemed like the typical Bowman-top-4-discount move -- Bowman hit one time with Oduya, but has failed in spectacular fashion ever since.

Koko blows in my view. In Bowman terms, he was Rundblad 2.0 -- i.e. no idea why he would re-sign them.

That said, it's a bit too early to claim De Haan is a bust -- or to claim anything, for that matter. De Haan's play isn't encouraging so far this year, but it's a small sample size. I do like his physicality though; last I checked, he was one of the Hawks' leaders in hits (if not the leader).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

I was going to say the same thing but I don't know as much about defensive play to qualify it. he just looked bad, and the game before I saw him literally standing on the blue line and a guy took the puck right past him, he didn't start his skating move till it was too late and I"m thinking what is he doing ordering a beer from the vendor. Fully upright, standing, waiting for the guy to come to him. then boom too late.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I was going to say the same thing but I don't know as much about defensive play to qualify it. he just looked bad, and the game before I saw him literally standing on the blue line and a guy took the puck right past him, he didn't start his skating move till it was too late and I"m thinking what is he doing ordering a beer from the vendor. Fully upright, standing, waiting for the guy to come to him. then boom too late.

A lot of it has to do with whether or not a player loses his guy. Both Hawk forwards and D-men have committed this sin. You can spot this when two Hawks converge on one guy; and an opposing player is wide open -- whether it results in a goal or not, to me, that is bad defensive play. Another factor is turning the puck over (i.e. having your pass intercepted/broken up) -- De Haan did this last game (as did Toews, but I digress), which resulted in an odd-man (eventually disallowed) goal.

Another is pinching/activating at the wrong time (this usually results in an odd-man rush for the opposition). Another factor (for D-men) is when they both fail to clear the crease and/or fail to tie up the stick of an opposing player who is screening our goalie (you can't just play grab-ass with him; got to at least do one or the other). A d-man can also give too much space to a rushing player.

Although not exactly "defensive play," keeping pucks in at the blue-line and getting shots through from the point in the attack zone is also part of the position. I love Keith, but he has utterly sucked at getting shots through from the point (both on the PP and 5-on-5) for years now -- it's almost like a pitcher with the first-base yips. He misses the net 98 times out of 100.

Covering passing/shooting lanes, clearing the puck, and breaking out of the zone are important to watch for too, with D-men. Blocking shots is also important.

There are more examples, but that's all I can think of at 8 in the morning. Anyways, try to keep your eye out for those when gauging defensive play.

blackpep72

Liked Posts:
The Joker trade was dumb. Bowman figured he had Boqvist in the wings and didn't want both Joker and him, so he shipped Joker in a desperate attempt to strike top-six gold with Nylander, which was dumb. It was hard seeing Daley and even Kempny leave, only to have immediate success with their new teams. I was fine with shipping both out at the time, but seeing that was a kick in the balls.

Yeah Gus has been better, but he still makes some horrific mistakes.

I really wasn't as impressed as a lot of people were when Bowman acquired De Haan. I actually would have preferred Myers, but what do I know. De Haan just seemed like the typical Bowman-top-4-discount move -- Bowman hit one time with Oduya, but has failed in spectacular fashion ever since.

Koko blows in my view. In Bowman terms, he was Rundblad 2.0 -- i.e. no idea why he would re-sign them.

That said, it's a bit too early to claim De Haan is a bust -- or to claim anything, for that matter. De Haan's play isn't encouraging so far this year, but it's a small sample size. I do like his physicality though; last I checked, he was one of the Hawks' leaders in hits (if not the leader).

Its too early to tell if the trade was a a bad one. If Nylander plays better it can turn out to be a good trade. I will withold judgement about this one for another year.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Pinching to odd man breaks are more the responsibility of the forward not covering for the pinching D man.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Its too early to tell if the trade was a a bad one. If Nylander plays better it can turn out to be a good trade. I will withold judgement about this one for another year.

Fair enough. I will just say this though: if Joker ends up playing well, and Nylander craps out, that should be the nail in the coffin for Bowman . I still think it was way too early to give up on Joker, but like you say, if Nylander ends up playing well, it won't sting as badly.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Pinching to odd man breaks are more the responsibility of the forward not covering for the pinching D man.

Not always. It's the responsibility of the d-man to recognize when the right time is to pinch; and if the covering forward is even in position to cover for him once he pinches.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good lesson for Bovquist. Should pay off next year. He very nearly game winnered in his first two games...and got one.

Body is still too green...the toll took his offensive game away too fast and the needs of the Hawks from D. It will sort out, go gain 10 more lbs and work 100% on defense.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Good lesson for Bovquist. Should pay off next year. He very nearly game winnered in his first two games...and got one.

Body is still too green...the toll took his offensive game away too fast and the needs of the Hawks from D. It will sort out, go gain 10 more lbs and work 100% on defense.

Yeah, true. Pretty much what I expected from him; it'll be better for him down in Rockford anyway (more playing time).

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

If Bovquists body is too green and needs 10 more pounds, than Dach can use 15, but he will be here all year.

Granada

Liked Posts:
If Bovquists body is too green and needs 10 more pounds, than Dach can use 15, but he will be here all year.

Uh, what?

Boqvist is 5'11 and 179 pounds and Dach is 6'4 and close to 200 pounds.

Point being, Dach is much more of an NHL-ready body than Boqvist.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We have more dead cap tied up in D than we do at FWD.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Uh, what?

Boqvist is 5'11 and 179 pounds and Dach is 6'4 and close to 200 pounds.

Point being, Dach is much more of an NHL-ready body than Boqvist.

I think they are being generous saying Dach is 198. Did you see the two hits against Vegas where he looked like a rag doll?

Granada

Liked Posts:
I think they are being generous saying Dach is 198. Did you see the two hits against Vegas where he looked like a rag doll?

Yeah -- "rag doll" is a bit of an exaggeration. One hit was in his head/face area, which caused him to twist away (understandably) and the other hit was along the boards from a guy (forgot who the actual Knight was, but I digress) who was flying. Neither is any indication that his weight isn't accurate.

Also, some hits look worse when a skater isn't strong on his skates.

Lastly, his height alone would indicate that his weight is closer to accurate than not.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did. You can tell he is a green 18 as well. I'm thinking its a mistake to keep him and take this punishment before his body sets, but at least he seems extra flexible.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah -- "rag doll" is a bit of an exaggeration. One hit was in his head/face area, which caused him to twist away (understandably) and the other hit was along the boards from a guy (forgot who the actual Knight was, but I digress) who was flying. Neither is any indication that his weight isn't accurate.

Also, some hits look worse when a skater isn't strong on his skates.

Lastly, his height alone would indicate that his weight is closer to accurate than not.

It should also be pointed out tall goes down easy, particularly before they grow into their full coordination and strength, its harder for him to keep his feet than anyone else if you take factors into account, but this isn't a Bickell situation. Its just a big 18 year old who isn't grown. His soft muscles actually make me excited to see what he becomes, he clearly is going to thicken into something impressive. My biggest fear is he outgrows his speed and ends up 240+. 220 is going to be easy as hell for him.

He should focus on building wiry strength and try not to end up like Seabrook.

215-225 with improved skating and a man's aggression. I can't wait but I regret my early thoughts on keeping him. We aren't going anywhere and he should be protected and retained as long as possible on this contract.

6'4" and 200 lbs also isn't very big. Thats a skinny version of me and I am thin. Reasonable he could grow another .5-1.5 inches too.

I think I went from 6'3-6'5.75" after 18.

He has growth left and clearly training left to put on that frame. He is gonna be the real deal in 4 years. that second contract might even be discounted to a bridge with some lean early years...but you have to give big guys extra time and his frame lends itself to beings a servicable 4th liner in the mean time, with the ability to give you power forward spot starts in the top 6.

But he outgrew the juniors and you also hate to see him stagnate and sent back some place he feels he has grown past.

Last edited: