11/13 IGT: Blackhawks at Knights (Sin City edition)

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Dach is looking good boys! He may become the steal of the draft!!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I had to miss most of this because I unfortunately am working for a manager who couldn't even manage a good shit without written instructions :mad:.

What I did see was that yeah, aside from Toews deciding to be a captain against Muzzin, the team has no heart or pack mentality--and hasn't in years. No one has stepped up for El Gato (and in fact, El Gato even stepped up for Keith a few seasons back, says a lot). This is a problem. Even Crawford a game or two ago had to channel his inner Belfour.

It sucks that some of the guys who have negative cap value can't at least do something and stand up for their teammates.

Also, 42 SOG. Crawford let in three and came out with a .929. This, as I mentioned, is untenable. With the offense kicking we can get away with it but both Crawford and Lehner are playing far above their career norms just to keep it to 3-4 GA.

I'm happy for the result, but I fear once the O gets colder we'll be on another losing streak because they can't keep pace and .920+ by the netminders seeing almost 40SA/GP is worth 3GA.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blackhawks game Saturday night should be a good test for them, since the Preds completely dominated last time Hawks played them. And, again, Hawks were outshot by a large margin last night.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Believe the Hawks are now 2 points back of Vegas for second WC.
Honestly not positive how this works, but I think they are actually 3 points behind Winnepeg because Vegas has more games?

EDIT: I should clarify the not sure part because we're three points behind Nashville too with the same number of games as them and less than Jets.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Honestly not positive how this works, but I think they are actually 3 points behind Winnepeg because Vegas has more games?

View attachment 3756

EDIT: I should clarify the not sure part because we're three points behind Nashville too with the same number of games as them and less than Jets.

You have to look at ROW (regulation and overtime wins). When a team is tied in points, the tie breaker is ROW's.

So yeah, the Hawks are technically 3 points behind Winnipeg for the last wild card spot, with 3 teams still ahead of them (in points), but with at least 1 game in-hand against those 3 teams. The Hawks are also 3 points behind Nashville for the last spot in the central division.

Granada

Liked Posts:
My post should have said 3 points. This was the tweet I was referring too:

That was accurate at the time. Now the Hawks are 5 points behind Vancouver for the last wild-card spot and 5 points behind Winnipeg for the last central division spot, with 2 games in hand on both.

Pacific division is very competitive right now, so those teams pushed us further since our win, as they jockey for their top 3 spots (and the prior holders take over the wild card spots with more points); and last night, every central team won except Colorado. Was hoping Florida would do us a solid against Winnipeg, to no avail.

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/wildcard

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to see the victory. Was 2-1 Vegas when I checked before turning in. Badly out-shot again and certainly have to keep working toward reducing that stat of allowing 37 SOG's on average; good to see the D notch some markers.

I said before things started Vegas might do as Montreal from last year: earn ~95 points but miss the Playoffs. Fleury is being leaned on heavily again; still no capable back-up. They've no top-line D that can rattle opponents at both ends. Despite adding Pacioretty - Stastny - Stone to a core of Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith that high-octane offense from two years ago is hanging around middle-of-pack now. This was a game Chicago could win and did.

Suppan is a good goalie and is working through a funk and injuries. I like his strength and quick twitch trait.

Puck moves so fast that technical skill trumps athleticism over time, but Suppan will get there, imo. I've seen him lock in for good stretches he just hasn't clicked yet this season.

Maybe his ceiling is a good back-up but I've seen much worse and think he can hit that goalie peak in his late 20's, early 30's, he is only 25 and not huge, so he has to improve instincts and positioning and his glove side...

as a back-up he adds value to a team by being a bit different than other netminders in style. Another wrench to throw at opponents.

Last edited: