The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am cutting Floyd, Prince, Long, Gabs, Patterson, Shaheen, and Braun. That gives me 56 million in cap space. I am not extending anyone. Let them all play out their final years and can worry about extensions late next season.

In FA, I am signing one top FA OL preferably a T and also one mid-tier G/C. That would give us FA T, Whitehair, Daniels, FA G, Leno/Massie as starters and a lot more depth as one of Leno/Massie would be relegated to swing Tackle/Guard with Coward, Lucas being decent depth.

So let's say about 15 million gets spent on various depth pieces and draft allocation. That leaves about 20 million left. With that, I am going to sign a mid-tier pass rusher. Someone more reliable than Floyd. Let's allocate 10 million for that individual. The remaining 10 million is saved for a rainy day.

In the draft I would be looking at BPA at CB, OLB WR, TE, OL with the early picks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Spotrac says 1 saved.

If Burton is healthy you probably aren’t going to find a better player for 1 or 1.5

Burton was a top ten TE last year

No point cutting Burton. Not going to save much and could bounce back. Having said that, he starts 3rd on the depth chart behind the two H's IMO as Horstad and Holtz have earned the right to be atop the depth chart the past few weeks.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
No point cutting Burton. Not going to save much and could bounce back. Having said that, he starts 3rd on the depth chart behind the two H's IMO as Horstad and Holtz have earned the right to be atop the depth chart the past few weeks.
I think Burton earned that top spot last season. It will be his to lose.

But all 3 hopefully will be on the roster...

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't think your going to see much change and that's not because I believe or I think the Bears believe they have the necessary talent but rather because they are limited from the cap.

QB - I think you will see the Bears bring in a veteran like Case Keenum to push Trubisky.
RB - Little to no change
WR - I think they roll with Gabriel and cut Patterson. Still little to no significant change. The Bears are going to have to rely on one of Anthony Miller, Javon Wims or Riley Ridley stepping up.
TE - They are limited by Burton's cap hit. They will likely bring in a veteran #2 to compete with Holtz and Horstad
OL - I think they cut Long and replace him with a 2nd round pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Burton earned that top spot last season. It will be his to lose.

But all 3 hopefully will be on the roster...

This is a what have you done for me lately league. He has done shit this year so he can work his way back to the top. Horstad and Holtz both younger so let's see how they do over the last 3 games.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think your going to see much change and that's not because I believe or I think the Bears believe they have the necessary talent but rather because they are limited from the cap.

QB - I think you will see the Bears bring in a veteran like Case Keenum to push Trubisky.
RB - Little to no change
WR - I think they roll with Gabriel and cut Patterson. Still little to no significant change. The Bears are going to have to rely on one of Anthony Miller, Javon Wims or Riley Ridley stepping up.
TE - They are limited by Burton's cap hit. They will likely bring in a veteran #2 to compete with Holtz and Horstad

They are not that limited. Cutting Floyd, Prince, Long, Gabs, Patterson, Shaheen, and Braun gets you to 56 million. With salary cap expected to go up by about 10 million that would then give us 66 million in cap space.

Now knowing Nagy and Pace, they probably hang on to guys they shouldn't but I think the whole offense needs to be revamped.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They are not that limited. Cutting Floyd, Prince, Long, Gabs, Patterson, Shaheen, and Braun gets you to 56 million. With salary cap expected to go up by about 10 million that would then give us 66 million in cap space.
That would be $56mil based on the projected new salary cap and rollover.

msadows

Liked Posts:

I agree they cut all of this. Maybe if they are lucky they can try to reneg a new deal with floyd for like half what he's projected to make this upcoming year after they pull the 5th year option.

Don't see them cutting Patterson like Polar said. He's once again one of the leagues best Special Teamers(Best KR in the NFL). Then again, maybe they will, its 5m they could put towards a corner or DE which is a lot more important than Kick Returns.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That would be $56mil based on the projected new salary cap and rollover.

No it is 56 million including the 17 million roll over. I did the calculation before I found out about the new salary cap hence why I am saying it would be 66 million or more with the new cap.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

RB - Little to no change

I think Long is gone or back for cheap.

They will pick up a FA lineman. Whether they find one in the draft remains to be seen.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Patterson won't, and shouldn't be cut. His cap hit is minimal and his value on ST cannot be overstated.

Cutting him would save us 5m, which would be enough to re-sign a player like Danny Trevethan.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree they cut all of this. Maybe if they are lucky they can try to reneg a new deal with floyd for like half what he's projected to make this upcoming year after they pull the 5th year option.

Don't see them cutting Patterson like Polar said. He's once again one of the leagues best Special Teamers(Best KR in the NFL). Then again, maybe they will, its 5m they could put towards a corner or DE which is a lot more important than Kick Returns.

The only way I bring back Floyd is if I think he can play ILB. He is not a true OLB in a 3-4. Just not enough pass rush skills for me.

Think you misread Polar. He said he thinks they keep Gabs and cut Patterson. Having said that, the only way I would remotely entertain Patterson is if he were to bulk up to play TE. KRs is perhaps the least valuable position in the entire NFL and 5 million is too much to spend on a KR and part time RB/WR.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think Long is gone or back for cheap.

They will pick up a FA lineman. Whether they find one in the draft remains to be seen.

Honestly think long might retire after this year. His body isn't capable of doing it anymore.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No it is 56 million including the 17 million roll over. I did the calculation before I found out about the new salary cap hence why I am saying it would be 66 million or more with the new cap.

Nope.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm fully aware. I'd bet a substantial amount it doesn't happen.

I agree they won't cut him, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they did. He provides nearly no production at the WR spot(He's essentially filled the josh bellamy role, and they let him walk).

It will come down to if they think the value he provides on kick returns is worth the 5m price tag that they could apply to someone like Danny Trevethan/Haha

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I agree they won't cut him, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they did. He provides nearly no production at the WR spot(He's essentially filled the josh bellamy role, and they let him walk).

It will come down to if they think the value he provides on kick returns is worth the 5m price tag that they could apply to someone like Danny Trevethan/Haha
I here you but he's a better player than Bellamy. It's not just the kick returns though. He's a legit ST Ace and a top of the food chain gunner. Those types generally have more value to a coaching staff then fans give them credit for.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Honestly I think everyone is focusing too much on Patterson’s return ability, which is great, and ignoring his skill as a gunner. He has shut down the return game for other teams a lot this season, which was a huge issue last year. He is the best gunner I’ve ever seen. I know he is being paid a lot, but if we can manage to keep him I would for that alone.