The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Defense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Over The Cap did some research yesterday and if you pull the Floyd option he is comp pick eligible.

If the Bears stay pretty quiet in free agency they could be looking at comp picks for

Floyd
Trevathan
HHCD

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we are kicking Floyd to the curb I would look at Everson Griffen to replace him.

Obviously he is a much better pass rusher, Minnesota is 2 million over the cap and he saves the 13 million to release, and he would not effect comp picks.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Over The Cap did some research yesterday and if you pull the Floyd option he is comp pick eligible.

If the Bears stay pretty quiet in free agency they could be looking at comp picks for

Floyd
Trevathan
HHCD
Unfortunately they don’t have the draft pick volume they need to stay quiet in FA

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately they don’t have the draft pick volume they need to stay quiet in FA

They have the volume but not really the premium picks.

But protecting comp picks just requires you to be strategic. Small trades, released players, older value buys.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

But protecting comp picks just requires you to be strategic. Small trades, released players, older value buys.

Can Pace afford not to go all out next year after a pretty big flop this year?

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Nothing the Bears do will be in regards to trying to obtain/keep comp picks. That much is certain.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a hard time seeing Amukamara or Floyd in Bears uni's next year. Use that money to resign HHCD.

Getting an OLB is going to be our biggest area of need on defense next year.

Only possibility is resigning/shot extension Floyd for cheap if they still want to go down that route.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Can Pace afford not to go all out next year after a pretty big flop this year?
Define "all out".

All out to build a SB contending team for next season as well as for the future? That will absolutely be Pace's goal.

All out to win by mortgaging the future? Bad idea...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I have a hard time seeing Amukamara or Floyd in Bears uni's next year. Use that money to resign HHCD.

Getting an OLB is going to be our biggest area of need on defense next year.

Only possibility is resigning/shot extension Floyd for cheap if they still want to go down that route.
I don't want Floyd at all. We need someone to take advantage of Mack being triple teamed on the other side. I will gladly give up a bit against the run if we can get more consistent pressure on opposing QBs.

I dont think we can afford HHCD, but who knows. He may take a discount because he loves it in Chicago. If not, we need a legit SS to pair with Eddie...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Define "all out".

All out to build a SB contending team for next season as well as for the future? That will absolutely be Pace's goal.

All out to win by mortgaging the future? Bad idea...

What I meant was play the comp pick game at the expense of next year's roster.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There are some free agents I would make bold moves for

Scherff
Thuney
Hooper

But if they do not hit the market are we really going to find worthwhile upgrades for the money that is going to be spent?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are some free agents I would make bold moves for

Scherff
Thuney
Hooper

But if they do not hit the market are we really going to find worthwhile upgrades for the money that is going to be spent?

Yes. Without question.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Theres no such thing as the comp pick game. Just something ccs draft gurus fantasize over. No GM is going to leave a hole on their team and risk losing their job in the hopes to pick up a late rd draft pick.

If Pace is smart, we should have money to play with in FA. But it needs to be spent wisely. Can't just spend big on marginally better talent to say he did something. So if a good OT/OG, OLB, or SS is available, I'm sure Pace will be willing to pull the trigger. If not, bank the cash for the next season...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
They did it this season.
They did not. They released Davis because he had no role on the team any longer. The comp pick was an added bonus, not the reason.

If he had a bigger role, they were not going to release him just to get a draft pick.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Theres no such thing as the comp pick game. Just something ccs draft gurus fantasize over. No GM is going to leave a hole on their team and risk losing their job in the hopes to pick up a late rd draft pick.

If Pace is smart, we should have money to play with in FA. But it needs to be spent wisely. Can't just spend big on marginally better talent to say he did something. So if a good OT/OG, OLB, or SS is available, I'm sure Pace will be willing to pull the trigger. If not, bank the cash for the next season...

I was replying to someone else who indicated a comp pick game.

Pace needs to be smart with the roster. Strong point. I agree.

kerschbs

Liked Posts:
If we are kicking Floyd to the curb I would look at Everson Griffen to replace him.

Obviously he is a much better pass rusher, Minnesota is 2 million over the cap and he saves the 13 million to release, and he would not effect comp picks.

Can we afford him? Pairing Griffen with Mack and a healthy Hicks would be a terrifying pass rush.

Hooper if he makes it to free agency would be my #1 target in all of FA. Our offense is in dire need of a good TE and he is a really talented receiver.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can we afford him?

On a short term deal, sure.

If you can get him for 2 years at 11-13 million you can afford it. Especially if it is really a big 1 year deal with the cap hit split between 2 years. I would think you have to draft and develop someone to replace him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There is probably going to be something of a decent EDGE market this year compared to usual:
Studs: Matt Judon, Bud Dupree, Yannick Ngakoue, Clowney, Fowler, Shaq Barrett

Older guys who can still get after it on a cheaper contract (Bears' focus): Everson G, Robert Quinn, Ansah, Sheard, Mario Addison, Mercilus, Marcus Golden, JPP, Vic Beasley, T Suggs (?)

Second tier: Ogbah, Jordan Jenkins, Benson Mayowa, Carl Nassib.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They did not. They released Davis because he had no role on the team any longer. The comp pick was an added bonus, not the reason.

If he had a bigger role, they were not going to release him just to get a draft pick.

We do not really have a backup RB, his money had all be paid, the only reason they cut him was a comp pick.