Bears need a #2 WR

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
At WR, I'd get rid of Gabriel, but I'd also try to replace his speed. It would be nice if that speed WR was actually a really good WR. But that's not going to happen. Not getting rid of Gabriel, just to spend the same money on a taller version of him. But I'd scour the back end of rosters for a speed guy to add to the depth chart (ironically enough, Marvin Hall would look good here).

If the Bears could splurge a bit, I'd love to see a guy like Demarcus Robinson signed for 4-6Mil and then trade Wims to a WR needy team. I'd imagine you can get more than the 7th round pick used on him. (probably a 6). Nothing against Wims, but I always thought he was too similar to Allen Robinson. He was a good hedge against Robinson not doing what he's done this year and potentially being a cap casualty this coming offseason. But now with Robinson talking like he wants to be here long-term, I'd love to replace Wims' spot on the roster with more speed, since Ridley is a year further than him from free agency.

Cordarelle Patterson would be the perfect WR for this team (6'2", big body, with great speed) if he was actually good as a WR.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
If you watch the games and actually look at the stats, Mitchell's time to throw has actually been above average. The throws have too for the most part. The OL problems are with run blocking. I know you have a need to prop mitch up with 90% of your posts but his issue passing is not due to the OL.
It was the first half of the year when he could not pass. They have been better lately and his numbers show that.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
What I'd do is sign a proven vet to play guard(scherff thuney glasgow) and 1 splash defensive player(OLB or CB) a true SS to put Jackson back to his natural spot minimum in Free agency. BPA draft OT/WR/Dline(including OLB)/safety look for gems and depth at O tackle and Cornerback/safety . Sign a QB to groom

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign a QB to groom?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the draft ? Not with a brush

Ok the draft. I would have assumed you’d say draft not sign. Sounds more like a free agent thing.

I don’t think Nagy and Pace can afford to use a high round pick on a QB. Anything after the first doesn’t have a great shot at sticking as a short or long term answer.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Ok the draft. I would have assumed you’d say draft not sign. Sounds more like a free agent thing.

I don’t think Nagy and Pace can afford to use a high round pick on a QB. Anything after the first doesn’t have a great shot at sticking as a short or long term answer.
Well I said sign because I was thinking late round/undrafted

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't think WR is a huge need, but then again we are an A-Rob injury away from being thin. I would address other positions, but I agree that Pace should take BPA.

If Michael Pittman Jr, from USC, is available as is projected in the 2nd round, I think he is a run to the podium pick. He is a beast and very underrated! I think he will be like Stephon Diggs type talent.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wims and Ridley should be heavily featured over the next 2 games. I guess once Gabriel is gone, we might need someone who can stretch the field.

I'm more concerned about a legit receiving threat TE.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Wims and Ridley should be heavily featured over the next 2 games. I guess once Gabriel is gone, we might need someone who can stretch the field.

I'm more concerned about a legit receiving threat TE.

They definitely need to be featured. However, at this stage in their careers they are not NFL starters. They are fringe players and likely just #4 WRs. I like what wims has shown so far as a back up player, and we haven’t seen anything from Ridley. I like the depth but I don’t see why we should go into the season relying on either of them to be a slot receiver or WR3. I like them as depth at this point.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Decent post OP.

Couple contrary thoughts....

Wr, OT, TE do take 2-3 years to develop.

They should draft an OG, and a QB in round 2. Sign the best T, Qb, and TE they can, and develop that WR in house. I think they already have him, or 3 of him. Wimms, Ridley, Miller will produce at least one, and it's too early not to bet on it with other needs.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to say, I was completely off the Anthony Miller train. I don't know what happened, but something clicked and he turned it on. I think I've already apologized to @HeHateMe. I'm excited again about him and think him and Robinson will be a hell of a tandem.

In terms of this draft, there is shit talent at TE. I think we can throw that option out the window. It is heavy on OT and WR talent. I would expect Pace to attack the TE and G position in FA and then draft an OT in round 2, then BPA. If it's a WR, it's a WR.

Furrey basically stated that Miller came in this year thinking he had arrived already and was still trying to play "playground" ball out there instead of running the exact routes and reading/reacting to the defense. Once he realized he wasn't going to get the ball playing like that, (he got humbled,) and he started to put the work in.

He still needs to learn a thing or two about what to do when Mitch scrambles... All too often he's too close to another WR and his defender ends up peeling off to make a play on the ball. (See Cowboys game, 2nd half when Mitch rolled left and threaded the needle to ARob. Miller's guy is right there and makes the tackle because Miller brought him right to ARob.)

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Burton was a top ten TE in the league in the shitty offense last year. If he's healthy, an improved Trubisky will make use of him. There are bigger problems on the team than an improvement over Burton.

I think Burton is fine as a starter, they need a backup. I don't see the cap room available to fix the oline, the TE position, and plug the few holes in the defense, and extend guys.
Burton not only has the physical injury problems but he's mentally weak, a veritable mush head.

Also find the title of this sluggish thread to be disrespectful and an affront to the premier #2 WR in the league, Antmill!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don’t there is any chance the Bear go WR in the 2nd round with Miller emerging. But I’m with you on Devonta Smith. Love him. His long speed is sneaky good.

Gun to your head, what is your over/under on what overall pick Tua goes.

I am low key praying he falls to a spot the Bears have a chance to take him.

Sorry, didn't see this. Moving yesterday & today. Going from a single wide trailer to a double wide!

I think if teams are confident in his hip healing, some QB desperate team takes a chance on him in the top 10. It'll all come down to the combine or pro day examination.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Anthony Miller will basically double his yardage this season, which is pretty fucking impressive considering that he was invisible the 1st half of the season. If this team gets a real OC calling plays and Trubisky doesn't shit the bed(again) next season, I don't see that its unreasonable to believe he gets 1,200yds out of the slot in 2020. Hell even with Nagy calling plays, he could still conceivably get those stats.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd stay pat with the core of WR we have when it's a matter of finding more help elsewhere. Miller has proven to be the 2nd option and work slot in 3 WR sets. Just need someone to be that speed guy. Though, I won't say a guy who has the only 3 TD game is useless next year... but if you can find a better Speed WR than Gabriel, by all means.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tony Miller is uncoverable right now and should get the #2 targets.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, this would be unpopular.

Robinson and Miller are the best players on offense. This isn't a need for a QB with poor accuracy.

Average accuracy.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Tony Miller is uncoverable right now and should get the #2 targets.

He could ascend to being one of the top slot WR's in the NFL. I like what Wims has to offer as the possession WR. But there isnt a true deep threat on the roster once Gabriel gets cut.