New Money: 2 years 6 million/6 guaranteed
Total Money: 3 years 11 million/6 guaranteed/6 SB

Year 1: 2 SB [2]
Year 2: 2 Salary/2 SB [4]
Year 3: 3 Salary/2 SB [5]

Cap Room: 44.3 million

Re-signings: [19 million spent]

LB Nick Kwaitkowski 4 years 22 million/11 guaranteed/4 SB [3]

Younger, cheaper, and healthier than Trevathan who has been very good for the Bears. Kwik has looked very good in his time as a starter and seems to have improved his coverage ability.

Year 1: 3 GS/1 SB [4]
Year 2: 4 GS/1 SB [5]
Year 3: 5 Salary/1 SB [6]
Year 4: 6 Salary/1 SB [7]

S Deon Bush 3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed/ 3 SB [2]

The Bears need a reasonable priced SS to play beside Eddie Jackson and they need someone who can tackle consistently. Bush has shown he can tackle consistently and that he knows the defense and can produce at a much cheaper price tag than Dix.

Year 1: 1 GS/1 SB [2]
Year 2: 2 Salary/1 SB [3]
Year 3: 4.5 Salary/1 SB [5.5]

DE Nick Williams 3 years 6 million/3 guaranteed/3 signing bonus [2]

The Bears need to ensure that they maintain their DL depth and Williams has played well this year and shown more pass rush than any of us expected. A nice backup deal that keeps hi in the rotation seems fair.

Year 1: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]
Year 2: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]
Year 3: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]

OG Rashad Coward 1 years 1 million/250k guaranteed
OT Cornelius Lucas 1 years 1.5 million/500k guaranteed
LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 1 year 2 million/1 guaranteed
DE Brent Urban 1 year 1.5 million/500k guaranteed
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million
S DHC 1 year 1 million

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [2nd Round Tender] [4]

Cap Room: 22.3 million

Free Agency [17.5 million spent]

QB Marcus Mariota [Tennessee] 1 year 5 million/5 guaranteed *500K/start bonus [8 million available] [5]

The Bears need someone to compete with Trubisky and be ready to start if he goes into the tank again. They need that player to be better than Chase Daniel, but also to not break the bank as money needs to be invested elsewhere on the offense. Mariota is the ideal candidate. He should not get a big multi year deal and he has enough talent that starting him would not be ridiculous as it would with Daniel.

marcus-mariota.jpg

OT David Sharpe [Oakland] 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed [2]

Sharpe has played LT and RT for the Raiders and looked good in a couple of starts at RT for the Raiders this season. He has the size 6'6" 340lbs and the power that the Bears are lacking, especially at LT, and he provides veteran competition at both spots in camp and could even kick inside to RG if needed.

gallery_medium.jpg

TE Nick Vannett [Pittsbrugh] 2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed [3]

The Bears need more of a blocking presence at Y TE and while Vannett is a 20 catch guy his real value comes at 6'6" 260lbs and his ability to be part of the run game and pass protection. This might not be a big move at the Y TE spot, but it does provide them with a reliable veteran for week 1 while they develop a draft pick.

092419-vannett.jpg

OLB Brandon Copeland [NY Jets] 2 year 6 million/2 guaranteed [3]

Copeland has had a forgettable 2019 season after having a career best 5 sacks in 2018. He was suspended and has been banged up, but he is still being productive. The Bears need a 3rd pass rusher who can come in and provide more than the nothing that Lynch and Irving have given this season. You sign Copeland for 2 years as I am not sure Floyd is going to get extended with the Bears.

images

RB Spencer Ware [Kansas City] 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed [2.5]

The Bears need a veteran backup RB that can step in if Montgomery is injured and can take some of the work off of his plate. They thought they had that in Mike Davis but he never got his footing and then the comp pick made cutting him an easy decision. Ware knows the system, can do a little of everything, and doesn't expose them to needing to play a rookie if Montgomery gets hurt.

gettyimages-1052724582.jpg

S Clayton Geathers [Indianapolis] 2 years 5 million/3 guaranteed [2]

The Bears need a veteran that can step in if Deon Bush cannot hold down the SS spot and Geathers has been a starter in Indy, lost his job this season, and has experience with Chuck Pagano. He gives the Bears a solid veteran option at safety if their is an injury or ineffective play.

27f0767c-d358-42da-a07b-8a7cfea8be6e-0922_colts-falcons_JRW07.JPG

Draft [4 million spent]

2[46] OG Isaiah Wilson [Gerogia] 6'7" 340lbs.

If the Bears can not land a guaranteed starter at RG in free agency then they need to do so in the draft. Wilson played RT for Georgia, and he could probably play there in the NFL, but he could be a Pro Bowl OG. He is a monstrous people mover that can be the lynch pin of the rushing attack. Wilson is only a red shirt sophmore so the sky could be the limit for him as he continues to develop and improve.

13508814.jpg
13508814.jpg
8667458.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] to the Denver Broncos for 3[72] and 3[85]. The Bears need picks as they need to add layers of cost controlled depth and competition.

3[72] TE Albert Okwuegbunam [Missouri] 6'5" 255lbs.

The Bears need to add a Y TE that can develop into a starter and fill a void in the offense. Vannett can block and start until O is ready, but he does not provide much in the passing game. Big O had a down year with a QB change, but he has been a consistent 10 yards per catch guy and has 23 career TDs. O is a better receiver at this point, but he has the frame to become the complete TE that the Bears need.

images

3[85] CB Jaylon Johnson [Utah] 6' 190lbs.

I cannot see the Bears paying Prince 9 million for 2020 and they need to add options to replace him. Johnson is a physical man defender who comes from a top defense and has the skills to be an NFL starter. Johnson has 11 PD and 2 INT this year and is aggressive on the ball. Johnson should compete with Tolliver to replace Prince.

8920032.jpg

4. OLB Joshua Uche [Michigan] 6'2" 250lbs.

Uche is an explosive and twitchy edge rusher who needs to be coached into his physical gifts. He has put up 8.5 sacks and 7 sacks in the last 2 seasons and has a ton of tools to work with. He gets the luxury of being the #4 OLB and can be worked along slowly in preparation for more of a role in 2021 when Floyd is a free agent. When Mack and Floyd are off the field the Bears have 0 athletic ability at OLB and they need some more guys who threaten OTs as athletes even if they are not complete rushers.

5a74cce0-a2e2-427f-9c8e-b7557f5d3662-michind_111718_kd2149.jpg

5. OT Charlie Heck [UNC] 6'8" 315lbs.

Pace has double dipped at position of need in the past and he should got back to the OL and address a developmental OT to be prepared to take over at RT or LT. Heck has played LT and RT, has NFL size and athletic tools, and is the son of an NFL OL coach. He needs to get stronger and fill out his frame, but he should provide depth and competition.

6_7644401.jpg

5. TE Harrison Bryant [Florida Atlantic] 6'5" 240lbs.

The Bears double dip at TE as well in the hope of having one of the rookies ready to contribute week 1. Bryant is a converted WR with great size and athletic ability for the position. Bryant is averaging 15.4 yards per catch and has the field stretching and mismatch skills for the U TE spot. Bryant is further insurance in case Burton's groin injury never heals.

gettyimages-1192476557-1-e1576109936805.jpg

6. OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 258lbs.

Get 2 young guys into the building and give them a year to develop. Coleman is not as twitchy or athletic as Highsmight. He is a heavy handed power rusher who can set the edge. He should give you a big physical body on special teams in 2020 and the hope in 2021 is that he can be a rotational OLB and specifically a guy who plays heavy run downs and allows the better pass rushers to get a breather.

Kendall+Coleman+Notre+Dame+v+Syracuse+Y0Or-xTamAIl.jpg

6. RB Patrick Taylor [Memphis] 6'3" 227lbs.

The Bears do not really have a backup RB and they do not have someone who can take some of the pounding for Montgomery. Taylor is a huge RB with good physical tools and an ability to punish defenders. He dealt with injuries this season but before that he was a 5.5 YPC guy who also caught 17-18 passes a season. Taylor gives you someone who can spell Montgomery and someone who can get more carries if Montgomery gets injured. You cannot give Cohen 18 touches a game.

images

7. WR Marquez Callaway [Tennessee] 6'2" 210lbs.

The midgets clearly do not work for Mitch as he has struggled to get the ball downfield to Gabriel and Cohen. They offer to small of a catch radius for him to make work. The Bears need deep speed, but they need it to have some size so that Mitch does not need to throw the ball through a key hole to get it into them. Callaway is not a finished project and he probably does not add much on the field in 2020, but he is 5th in college football in yards per catch 22.5 ypc. has elite speed, and can get deep. Callaway does not need to play in 2020, but he can develop while Wims and Ridley get more run.

636139724324803265-UT-TnTech-13.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Mariota
RB: Montgomery, Ware, Taylor, Cohen
WR: Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Patterson, Callaway [PR]
TE: Vannett, Burton, Okwuegbunam, Horsted, Holtz
LT: Leno, Sharpe
LG: Daniels, Coward
C: Whitehair
RG: Wilson/Bars
RT: Massie/Lucas, Heck

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Williams
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Floyd, Copeland, Coleman
ILB: Smith, KPL
ILB: Kwit, Iggy, Woods
OLB: Mack, Uche
CB: Fuller, Johnson/Tolliver, Skrine, Shelley, Denmark
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Bush/Geathers
K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
56 players I guess someone ends up on the practice sqaud.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Alex Smith will be on the Bears next year.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
How much do you think Jordan Jenkins gets this offseason? Like the idea of trying to replace Floyd with Jenkins, especially if you can get him for less than $13M a year.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would a per game start bonus for Mariota be considered likely to be earned for cap purposes because he started games this year?

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Alex Smith will be on the Bears next year.
I doubt that Smith ever plays again after that injury. If he does miraculously come back I believe Washington is completely tied to his contract. It would cost them way to much to cut him so the only way he would be a Bear is via trade and I doubt we have the capital to trade or the cap to handle his contract.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Glad to see investment at QB and RB.

The Bears have to pick between Dix and Prince. You can let go of half your starting secondary plus Trevathan and realistically and hope to improve. I understand the cap space argument but letting all of that veteran talent walk to pursue other players is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If prince leaves, they’re spending a 2nd on a cb

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Some interesting pick ups. In the draft I think the Bears need to seriously attack EDGE. Personally hoping we get Scherff at RG in FA (unlikely I guess but it would be a statement) so we don't need to attack OL position in the 2nd round.

I don't believe Deon Bush has done anything in the NFL to justify $3m+ a year. That's simply not going to happen. He does however deserve a chance to start that's for sure.

I won't be unhappy if they bring Kwiatkoski back and his deal seems reasonable. He has certainly played well. I wonder if they should use this money elsewhere though given we already have Roquan who is a pro-bowl talent. If it mean't the difference between getting someone like Scherff or not then I'd be content rolling with a FA pick up in someone like Zach Brown and re-signing (as you've suggested) Kevin Pierre-Lewis.

FA - Brandon Scherff

Draft - Terrell Lewis (EDGE) and Bryce Hall (CB)

ILB roster places - Roquan Smith, Zach Brown, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Joel Iyiegbuniwe

Saving more on Kwiat helps the Bears afford Scherff which helps the OL and let's them get some real talent at EDGE and CB which are both massive positions of need given Floyd doesn't rush the passer well and the Bears need some competition at CB as they move on from Prince.

I don't think Jaylon Johnson likely lasts that deep into the 3rd round though I respect the draft choice.

I doubt he lasts till the 5th round (do we actually have a 4th rounder or not?) but Alex Highsmith (EDGE) would be a great double dip pick at the position of need. Any thoughts on where he may drop to?

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I think the David Sharpe (OT) pick up is sensible. And Bush definitely needs some competition.

on thedraftnetwork.com I get the following:

[2] Terrell Lewis (EDGE), [2] Bryce Hall (CB), [5] Nate Landman (LB), [5] Anthony Gordon (QB), [5] Alex Highsmith (EDGE)

[6] Josiah Deguara (TE), [7] Naquan Jones (IDL)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
At least you’ve come around on Patterson who was an automatic cut in some of your earlier postings even though he’s been the best special teams player on the Bears from day 1.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You guys thinking we will make a big fa splash like scherff are going to be disappointed.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
would love that TE you have us drafting in the 3rd but most mocks have him going to the cowboys or patriots in the 1st

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mariota is worse than Trubisky. No thanks
I seriously don't get the Mariota love. Freaking Tannehill outplayed him on his own team. Mariota does nothing better than Trubisky. He's pretty much Trubisky-lite.