Phillip Rivers done in LA?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Nah. Bad option. Will still be high cost and at the tail end of his career. Might as well go for the much younger Bridgewater.

Lovin’ that 5 game sample size still, huh. With Sean Payton.

Check out his career numbers. Let me give you a hint, Mitch’s td/int ratio is much better. ?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Exactly !

People keep bringing up all these non mobile, non playmaking Qb's . Those types will get sacked & injured behind our weak
pass blocking line. Heck going back to when we won our last SB.....the OL back then was only slightly above avg. in pass blocking

Jalen Hurts looked like dog shit! FYI

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I’m not surprised at all the biggest dipshit on the board wants a way over the hill turnover machine at QB....:jonesy:

jive

Liked Posts:
I think one of the requirements to be a QB in Chicago is to have a punchable face.
So maybe Rivers would be a fit. Eli too.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovin’ that 5 game sample size still, huh. With Sean Payton.

Check out his career numbers. Let me give you a hint, Mitch’s td/int ratio is much better. ?
Believe a rebirth is coming and he's still young.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Rivers' best days are behind him. I also think it's gross that they're the Los Angeles Chargers now.

for posterity he was also drafted almost 20 years ago, for the "ok boomer" crowd.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I always found it weird how people called his bitching leadership, and Cutler's whining. Rivers is going to probably make the Hall of Fame and he 100% doesn't deserve it. Eli as well.

Um, what?

If Rivers plays one more year and hits his averages for the last 5 seasons, he will pass Marino for Touchdowns and Yards making him fourth all time.

Like him or not, he threw the passes. In that regard, he is one of the greatest passing QBs of all time. He is also an iron man. He hasn't missed a game in what, 15 seasons?

He does deserve to go into the Hall of Fame. He threw the damn passes. Do you think Frank Gore doesn't deserve to go to the Hall for rushing all of those yards (who has now passed Barry Sanders to be 4th all time).

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Um, what?

If Rivers plays one more year and hits his averages for the last 5 seasons, he will pass Marino for Touchdowns and Yards making him fourth all time.

Like him or not, he threw the passes. In that regard, he is one of the greatest passing QBs of all time. He is also an iron man. He hasn't missed a game in what, 15 seasons?

He does deserve to go into the Hall of Fame. He threw the damn passes. Do you think Frank Gore doesn't deserve to go to the Hall for rushing all of those yards (who has now passed Barry Sanders to be 4th all time).

No, they don't. Hall of Fame should be for the elite of the elite. They'll get in, but deserve it? No, not really. Not once in their careers were either of those guys ever in the upper echelon at their position.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
No, they don't. Hall of Fame should be for the elite of the elite. They'll get in, but deserve it? No, not really. Not once in their careers were either of those guys ever in the upper echelon at their position.

Define "elite" and then you can establish what criteria you want to use to validate people getting into the HOF or not. Provide the litmus test that players should be rated against.

They spent 15 years with their franchises. Were iron men. Have top 10 passing statistics. What more is necessary?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Define "elite" and then you can establish what criteria you want to use to validate people getting into the HOF or not. Provide the litmus test that players should be rated against.

They spent 15 years with their franchises. Were iron men. Have top 10 passing statistics. What more is necessary?

They're going to get in based on longevity, nothing else. Passing statistics, especially in today's game, are far more inflated and should be taken with a grain of salt. There is a huge difference between what guys like Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers are doing today compared to when Marino was putting up those numbers. I'd say what Gore did is more impressive than Rivers considering the position he played.

Both Rivers and Ryan will probably end up statistically better than Marino. Are they better QBs? Hell no. Look at the list of RBs Gore is ahead of and tell me you'd take him over most of those guys. Where do we draw the line? Should Edgerrin James make the Hall because he has more rushing yards than Marcus Allen and O.J. Simpson?

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
They're going to get in based on longevity, nothing else. Passing statistics, especially in today's game, are far more inflated and should be taken with a grain of salt. There is a huge difference between what guys like Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers are doing today compared to when Marino was putting up those numbers. I'd say what Gore did is more impressive than Rivers considering the position he played.

Both Rivers and Ryan will probably end up statistically better than Marino. Are they better QBs? Hell no. Look at the list of RBs Gore is ahead of and tell me you'd take him over most of those guys. Where do we draw the line? Should Edgerrin James make the Hall because he has more rushing yards than Marcus Allen and O.J. Simpson?

It is impossible task. You rate players for how they performed in the era they performed. Would those previous players be as successful in today's league with increases in speed and size?

There is no guarantee that those previous players would hold up in today's NFL. That is the reality, but they were the best of their day.

Rivers/Eli/Big Ben defined a generation of QBs with Manning/Brees/Brady. This era has been defined by the QB position.

What's interesting is projecting the people behind them. Who in the current crop of QB do we consider potential HOF material? I had this EXACT discussion with my friend the other day. You figure, Rodgers and Ryan are good candidates if they can hang on for a few more seasons, but after that?

Mahomes has potential. Wilson perhaps? Most of the other QBs have been disappointing overall if you use the others as a baseline.

So yes, I look at those three and they are HOF to me because I am rating them in the era they played. Saying their not Brees/Manning/Brady is a bit ludicrous as we have been blessed to watch some of the greatest QBing in the history of the NFL in recent times with those three. That does not invalidate the accomplishments of the other three in my mind.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Agree River's technically has the numbers, but his play has been pretty poor the last few years, and especially this year. With no SBs, I think it will be hard for him to get in especially with the recent trend in huge numbers for qbs.

Much rather try Dalton or Foles at this stage of the game. Rivers is toast

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It is impossible task. You rate players for how they performed in the era they performed. Would those previous players be as successful in today's league with increases in speed and size?

There is no guarantee that those previous players would hold up in today's NFL. That is the reality, but they were the best of their day.

Rivers/Eli/Big Ben defined a generation of QBs with Manning/Brees/Brady. This era has been defined by the QB position.

What's interesting is projecting the people behind them. Who in the current crop of QB do we consider potential HOF material? I had this EXACT discussion with my friend the other day. You figure, Rodgers and Ryan are good candidates if they can hang on for a few more seasons, but after that?

Mahomes has potential. Wilson perhaps? Most of the other QBs have been disappointing overall if you use the others as a baseline.

So yes, I look at those three and they are HOF to me because I am rating them in the era they played. Saying their not Brees/Manning/Brady is a bit ludicrous as we have been blessed to watch some of the greatest QBing in the history of the NFL in recent times with those three. That does not invalidate the accomplishments of the other three in my mind.

Not completely disagreeing with you, but it seems to me that we are diluting what the Hall is supposed to be. Even when Curtis Martin got in I was more like "Meh, I guess." It certainly isn't easy to quantify, and I'm fairly certain there are plenty of Hall of Famers that probably shouldn't be. It starts to become, "well, if so and so got in, how can this guy not get in?" QBs have become especially difficult to measure. I mean, Winston just threw for 5K yards this year, but I doubt you'll hear anyone argue he had a good season.

Personally, I have Big Ben on the cusp. Rodgers should be a lock. Guys like Rivers, Eli, Ryan, they all seem like Hall of Very Good to me as opposed to Hall of Fame. As for the rest, seems it's too early in their careers to try and project. Wilson's the farthest along, and I feel he has a decent chance. Not so sure anyone else has really separated themselves from the pack. Andrew Luck was a guy that looked like he could've been a HoFer, but his early retirement puts that in doubt. Is Stafford a HoFer? I don't think so, but going purely based on numbers he already has over 40K yards and 250 TDs.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Exactly !

People keep bringing up all these non mobile, non playmaking Qb's . Those types will get sacked & injured behind our weak
pass blocking line. Heck going back to when we won our last SB.....the OL back then was only slightly above avg. in pass blocking

Rivers is undoubtedly a statue, but he has worked behind FAR worse lines than we have here. He played his entire career in a phone booth, and never missed a game.

That said, there is zero chance of him coming to chicago.

I loved him in SD, but it was kind of a bitch move to stay in san diego and not go with the team.
He is still smart, savvy, and has a cannon, but to miss all that practice time and to make game day 6 hours longer than it needed to be with his 3 hour commute, it really fucked his timing up the past couple years.

Hopefully he just hangs it up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The whole team looked bad. Burrow throws 7 TDs, No. 1 LSU routs No. Oklahoma 63-28. Was Hurts on defense too?

He was definitely well rested enough to play both ways with all those 3 and outs.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Not completely disagreeing with you, but it seems to me that we are diluting what the Hall is supposed to be. Even when Curtis Martin got in I was more like "Meh, I guess." It certainly isn't easy to quantify, and I'm fairly certain there are plenty of Hall of Famers that probably shouldn't be. It starts to become, "well, if so and so got in, how can this guy not get in?" QBs have become especially difficult to measure. I mean, Winston just threw for 5K yards this year, but I doubt you'll hear anyone argue he had a good season.

Personally, I have Big Ben on the cusp. Rodgers should be a lock. Guys like Rivers, Eli, Ryan, they all seem like Hall of Very Good to me as opposed to Hall of Fame. As for the rest, seems it's too early in their careers to try and project. Wilson's the farthest along, and I feel he has a decent chance. Not so sure anyone else has really separated themselves from the pack. Andrew Luck was a guy that looked like he could've been a HoFer, but his early retirement puts that in doubt. Is Stafford a HoFer? I don't think so, but going purely based on numbers he already has over 40K yards and 250 TDs.
Eli has two incredible SB wins that puts him way ahead of River's and Ryan