What are realistic scenarios bears trade up for a QB

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there any? What would it take to trade up for one of the top qbs this year?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
not in the 1st 2 rounds unless it's a real target very near to the pick. Here's the thing. We all expect Mitch to start without a high draft pick behind him next year. We all also expected Glennon to be our QB before Pace picked Mitch. Basically, we have no idea how this is being approached. Whether they exercise Mitch's option may give us a clue but even those aren't guaranteed so not as meaningful as some will insist.

Last edited:

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
NFL free agency begins March 18

Deadline for 5th year option for Mitch early May

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
NFL free agency begins March 18

Deadline for 5th year option for Mitch early May
And even if they pick up the 5th year option, it doesn't become garaunteed until March 18th, 2021. Same situation Floyd is in with his picked-up option- can still get out from it until the "First Day of the League Year" for 0 hit to cap.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There aren't any. Hopefully, Pace learned something about trades putting us in the position we are in now.

Who knows, maybe he trades down to get a 3rd and another pick later or next season.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
It could be worse. The rams are fooked. Went all in. Huge contracts bottle necking the roster and no 1st round picks for 2 years. Pace needs to learn from the Rams and what not to do

"The Rams are projected to have a league-high $108.75 million in salary-cap charges allocated to their five highest-paid players -- Goff, Donald, Gurley, Cooks and Ramsey." OUCH!

Last edited:

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
We keep trading draft picks so we really don't have draft capital to trade.

It's still early but Burrow is 95% likely to be #1 overall. If anything he's just gotten better the last 4-5 games with precision throws and big time plays. Hebert is top 10 most likely because he has the size, arm and traits. No chance to move up for those guys.

A lot of people love Tua and some think he's not a 1st round pick. He was widely considered a top 15 candidate before he got hurt so I think he goes 1st round but he's injured so if he fell far enough that would be a possible move that may not require a lot of draft picks to move up. Depends on how far he fell.

I don't think any of the other QB's are worth moving up for. Jalen Hurts probably hurt his draft stock to end the year. He looked lost against LSU. But he has some talent. I wouldn't trade up for him. I think many of the others make interesting mid round picks.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It could be worse. The rams are fooked. Went all in. Huge contracts bottle necking the roster and no 1st round picks for 2 years. Pace needs to learn from the Rams and what not to do

"The Rams are projected to have a league-high $108.75 million in salary-cap charges allocated to their five highest-paid players -- Goff, Donald, Gurley, Cooks and Ramsey." OUCH!

3 of those guys are relatively just decent players at best.
Gurley, Goff & Cooks are all nothing special

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
On a scale of 1-10...0

But, stranger things have happened

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The only way they should select a QB is if one falls to them and their rating on him lines up with the draft slot. Are Eason or Fromm worth one of the second round picks?

They need to aggressively address the o-line and tight end groups. The Bears, Eagles and KC run similar schemes but they have Ertz and Kelce. The Eagles have Goedert too. The Bears have the ghost of Trey Burton. Since Burton missed the playoff game against the Eagles, the offense has regressed horrendously. Either Nagy can’t adapt or his offense is so TE dependent that they have to find real answers for the position. Hooper or Henry should be on the top of their free agent wish list and they should grab one in the second round too. There should be multiple solid draft options if Pace doesn’t get cute.

So my answer is there is probably not a good enough QB prospect that will fall close enough to the Bears’ second round picks that will be worth the extra draft capital for a trade up because the picks are crucial to address their other offensive holes.

I know, I know Mitch sucks but the best way to develop a young QB is to protect him, have a solid run game and provide him with a talented, pass catching TE as a safety blanket. I’d like to see the Bears have enough TE talent so they can start effectively running 12 personnel. The Eagles and Chiefs use it quite a bit.

Fix the o-line and TE group and this team will be appreciably better.

Last edited:

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
3 of those guys are relatively just decent players at best.
Gurley, Goff & Cooks are all nothing special

Agreed. That's why I hope Pace spends wisely and doesn't overpay for guys like Mitch (if he happens to have a decent year next year) just cause the market for that position dictates it. Allen Robinson is going to want to get paid soon, he's another guy who is decent that is not worth an overpay.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The only QBs we are going to seriously look at will be on day 3 of the draft. Someone they can develop, but that can be stashed on the PS unless they REALLY impress to deserve a 3rd QB roster spot...

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only QBs we are going to seriously look at will be on day 3 of the draft. Someone they can develop, but that can be stashed on the PS unless they REALLY impress to deserve a 3rd QB roster spot...

Gotta develop the Dan LeFevour types to back up Mitch - that's the Chicago Bears way!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

no way they can get anything of value unless CIN wants Trubisky plus both our second rounders and next two years' first rounders....

Of course I am talking out of my ass. You have to assume They think Burrows can compete as a top QB immediately.

Somewhere in an alternate universe this trade will happen, just not in this one.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Almost no chance. To my mind there aren't going to be any really good options that the Bears have the capital to trade up to. Herbert, Tua, and Burrow will go before the Bears could trade up. Love, Eason, and Hurts could be there, but I'm not a fan of any of them really, especially with a trade up.

Anthony Gordon in the 4th maybe. But there really isn't any depth at QB in this draft either. Bad year for QBs past Burrow imo.

mbison

Liked Posts:

They could trade Mitch for a 3rd round pick and combine that 3rd round pick with a 2nd we have to trade up

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why trade for anything except offensive linemen?