What are realistic scenarios bears trade up for a QB

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Are there any? What would it take to trade up for one of the top qbs this year?

I think the one shot would be Tua if he declares. I can’t see him going top 20 with the injury concerns.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy is 20-12 as a head coach and won coach of the year. There is no way he’s going any where for a minimum 2 years.

If we only 4 to 6 games next year, he could absolutely get canned.

Imagine the defense regressing to average. The median NFL defenses gave up 22 ppg this year. With our offense, we would have only won 3 games.

I could see that scenario playing out. It's not too far fetched.

mbison

Liked Posts:
If we only 4 to 6 games next year, he could absolutely get canned.

Imagine the defense regressing to average. The median NFL defenses gave up 22 ppg this year. With our offense, we would have only won 3 games.

I could see that scenario playing out. It's not too far fetched.

No chance he gets canned unless he goes something like 0-16.
Even if they went 5-11 Nagy woood still have a winning record. There is no way they would eat his contract for that. He’s got at 2 years left on his contact so I can see him being on the hot seat if he has another poor season

msadows

Liked Posts:
No chance he gets canned unless he goes something like 0-16.
Even if they went 5-11 Nagy woood still have a winning record. There is no way they would eat his contract for that. He’s got at 2 years left on his contact so I can see him being on the hot seat if he has another poor season

If the offense is still garbage like this year, there is absolutely a chance.

Nagy does nothing on the defensive side of this team. We wen't 8-8 this year and 12-4 last year in large part due to the defense.

If the defense regresses, and the offense continues to falter, there is a good chance he gets shit canned. However, it would be all three of Pace, Nagy, and Biscuit getting shit canned.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
QBs in general are really a crap shoot. Nobody really knows how good someone will be until the get in the NFL. The Bears could get a starting caliber QBs in the 2nd IF they do their job right. There have been a lot of late round QBs that turn out to be successful. I just hope the Bears keep taking chances until the get it right. They need to use their 2nd on the best prospect available and if they will this year do it again next year.
Ideally, you'd always want to just take the best football player available just to better ensure you're getting an impact player. With QB though, there's usually that position need that need be fulfilled right then and there.

QB seems like more of a crap shoot than it truly is. There's just not enough really good ones from year to year to fill the needs of all teams so you'll see interest sparked in this or that QB when teams run out of other options which happens fast.

You'll see a lot of what these QBs did in college when they get to the NFL. If they were mobile, they're not going to be less mobile in the NFL. If they're accurate, they're not suddenly going to become wildly inaccurate. If they could read D well, they'll keep doing that well. The problem is many are overhyped because there is that high demand for QBs and a very short supply of very good ones.

Seattle's GM was sold on Wilson long before that draft, even after taking a FA QB. Never wanted to show his hand to lift Wilson's stock but was 100% sold on him as was his HC. No crap shoot for him. He got what was expected and more.

Same with Baltimore and Jackson. Amazing athlete and nobody questioned that but they did question whether he could be a QB in the NFL and was open to being a receiver. Newsome never questioned. He liked what he saw and was 100% sold on him as a QB. Never interviewed him or so much as inquired about him before the draft in order to keep his draft stock as low as it was, then traded up for him when they thought they had pushed their luck too far during the draft. No crap shoot. Got exactly what was expected.

A guy like Rodgers lasts longer than expected so then comes a team smart enough to realize even though they weren't looking for QB in this draft, they couldn't possibly resist taking him. No crap shoot. Just fell into their lap.

Look at Trubisky's draft class and if you looked at the film of all 3 top QBs, don't see why so many put Trubisky ahead of the other 2. You'd first have to wonder why he couldn't beat out a bum for 2 years. And if you were to watch the Sun Bowl, a game Pace has pointed to that sold him on Trubisky, you'd see all of the bad you see now. Bad reads, inaccurate deep ball, apprehensive with certain plays etc. Of course the type car Trubisky drove also helped to win Pace over so not as if he was being especially thorough in his whole QB analysis.

Meanwhile, had you looked at Mahomes, you could only be impressed. But he was doing things QBs shouldn't be able to get away with so was said he needed some good coaching. Enter Andy Reid and the Chiefs 100% sold on Mahomes to the tune of trading up with a swapping of their 1st round pick coupled with a 3rd and a 1st round pick in the following year. And then it turns out Mahomes could still do those things, that QBs shouldn't be able to get away with, at the NFL level.

coolio

Liked Posts:
Ideally, you'd always want to just take the best football player available just to better ensure you're getting an impact player. With QB though, there's usually that position need that need be fulfilled right then and there.

QB seems like more of a crap shoot than it truly is. There's just not enough really good ones from year to year to fill the needs of all teams so you'll see interest sparked in this or that QB when teams run out of other options which happens fast.

You'll see a lot of what these QBs did in college when they get to the NFL. If they were mobile, they're not going to be less mobile in the NFL. If they're accurate, they're not suddenly going to become wildly inaccurate. If they could read D well, they'll keep doing that well. The problem is many are overhyped because there is that high demand for QBs and a very short supply of very good ones.

Seattle's GM was sold on Wilson long before that draft, even after taking a FA QB. Never wanted to show his hand to lift Wilson's stock but was 100% sold on him as was his HC. No crap shoot for him. He got what was expected and more.

Same with Baltimore and Jackson. Amazing athlete and nobody questioned that but they did question whether he could be a QB in the NFL and was open to being a receiver. Newsome never questioned. He liked what he saw and was 100% sold on him as a QB. Never interviewed him or so much as inquired about him before the draft in order to keep his draft stock as low as it was, then traded up for him when they thought they had pushed their luck too far during the draft. No crap shoot. Got exactly what was expected.

A guy like Rodgers lasts longer than expected so then comes a team smart enough to realize even though they weren't looking for QB in this draft, they couldn't possibly resist taking him. No crap shoot. Just fell into their lap.

Look at Trubisky's draft class and if you looked at the film of all 3 top QBs, don't see why so many put Trubisky ahead of the other 2. You'd first have to wonder why he couldn't beat out a bum for 2 years. And if you were to watch the Sun Bowl, a game Pace has pointed to that sold him on Trubisky, you'd see all of the bad you see now. Bad reads, inaccurate deep ball, apprehensive with certain plays etc. Of course the type car Trubisky drove also helped to win Pace over so not as if he was being especially thorough in his whole QB analysis.

Meanwhile, had you looked at Mahomes, you could only be impressed. But he was doing things QBs shouldn't be able to get away with so was said he needed some good coaching. Enter Andy Reid and the Chiefs 100% sold on Mahomes to the tune of trading up with a swapping of their 1st round pick coupled with a 3rd and a 1st round pick in the following year. And then it turns out Mahomes could still do those things, that QBs shouldn't be able to get away with, at the NFL level.

Yep, he really wasn't impressive in the sun bowl either. Stanford defense was just average. And when Ryan Pace first drafted Mitch, there's a video on youtube of Pace asking Trubisky to promise him to bring that camry when he drives to halas hall. Lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Are there any? What would it take to trade up for one of the top qbs this year?

I don't see it happening unless it's a trade up into maybe the 3rd or 4th round to take a shot on someone like A.Gordon or if another guy they like is sitting there. I really don't even see that with all the other needs we have.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agreed. That's why I hope Pace spends wisely and doesn't overpay for guys like Mitch (if he happens to have a decent year next year) just cause the market for that position dictates it. Allen Robinson is going to want to get paid soon, he's another guy who is decent that is not worth an overpay.

We could actually create some more cap space by signing ARob to a new deal this offseason and structuring it in a way to give us more money this offseason.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That’s actually interesting say a good LT is still available at pick 20 or a little later. Do you trade the two 2nd’s to go up and get him?

No, not for a o-lineman IMO.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why not? Arizona got a 2nd for Josh Rosen and I can argue that Mitch has more upside than Rosen. I’m pretty sure that in the right hands and a lot of tutoring Mitch could be a good QB. He just needs more time and a good system to develop him.

Rosen was much more unknown as to what he could do in the NFL compared to Mitch though and the only footage teams did have of Rosen was for a very talentless Arizona team.

I think it was Bart Scott today who said J.Rosen is the guy the Bears should bring in to compete with Trubisky. I love Bart, dude cracks me up.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We keep trading draft picks so we really don't have draft capital to trade.

It's still early but Burrow is 95% likely to be #1 overall. If anything he's just gotten better the last 4-5 games with precision throws and big time plays. Hebert is top 10 most likely because he has the size, arm and traits. No chance to move up for those guys.

A lot of people love Tua and some think he's not a 1st round pick. He was widely considered a top 15 candidate before he got hurt so I think he goes 1st round but he's injured so if he fell far enough that would be a possible move that may not require a lot of draft picks to move up. Depends on how far he fell.

I don't think any of the other QB's are worth moving up for. Jalen Hurts probably hurt his draft stock to end the year. He looked lost against LSU. But he has some talent. I wouldn't trade up for him. I think many of the others make interesting mid round picks.

I think Tua doesn't make it past the Patriots pick, JMHO

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not? Arizona got a 2nd for Josh Rosen and I can argue that Mitch has more upside than Rosen. I’m pretty sure that in the right hands and a lot of tutoring Mitch could be a good QB. He just needs more time and a good system to develop him.

How much more time does he need, JHC

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There aren't any. Hopefully, Pace learned something about trades putting us in the position we are in now.

Who knows, maybe he trades down to get a 3rd and another pick later or next season.
YES. according to the trade chart we could get two third rounders for our pick 50...now which team has 2 third rd and would they be interested? But if ok we could go pick 43 OT or OG.. and 3rd round, OL and pass rusher.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think Tua doesn't make it past the Patriots pick, JMHO

I don't think he makes it to the Patriots pick. Some team will take a shot on him cause he's too talented. There's teams that would rather draft him early even if he has to sit the entire year out.

mbison

Liked Posts:

If Seattle was sold on Wilson they would not have waited until the 3rd round to draft him. Wilson was a fluke because they signed Matt Flynn and he was supposed to be their guy. They actually had no idea he was going to be a franchise changing QB until he got into training camp. They wanted to start Flynn but Wilson was so impressive they were scared they would lose the team if they let Flynn start You usually post some really smart stuff but you lost me with this one man. Like I said before ALL QBs are a crap shoot and no body really knows how good they will be until the get into camp. It’s always easy for people to say “I knew he was going to be good” after the fact but th truth is there is about a 10 percent chance a team will draft a franchise QB no matter the pick

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has 40 career starts. Some fans act like the guy was a late round rookie this year.

Exactly, after 40 career starts, he should be progressing by now, not the opposite

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, Herbert looks like shit today against Wisconsin !!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he makes it to the Patriots pick. Some team will take a shot on him cause he's too talented. There's teams that would rather draft him early even if he has to sit the entire year out.

You may very well be right