The OC Options

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The Andy Reid Disciples

Pat Shurmur:

Pat recently got fired as head coach of the Giants. Shurmur has now had 2 failed stints as a HC in Cleveland and New York and I don't think he will be getting a third one any time soon making him a great candidate to fill the OC job because his biggest successes have come being an OC. He is from the Andy Reid coaching tree and would be a major upgrade over Mark Helfrich.

Marty Mornhinweg:

I think this has actually become my favorite candidate upon some research. Marty Mornhinweg worked under Steve Mariucci and Andy Reid for much of his career and alongside Matt Nagy. Mornhinweg has been apart of 10 top 15 finishes in points per game. In his most recent stint with the Baltimore Ravens, Mornhinweg lead offenses headlined by guys like Joe Flacco, Alex Collins, Gus Edwards and a 31 year old Mike Wallace and Michael Crabtree to a #9 and #13 points per game finish.

He has had two number one rushing offenses in his career lead by running backs Garrison Hearst and Charlie Garner in SF back in 98, 99. His 2018 Baltimore stint he lead the #2 rushing attack with Lamar Jackson, Gus Edwards and Alex Collins. He had two other top 5 rushing attacks in philadelphia lead by Michael Vick, Lesean McCoy.

Marty has also worked closely with Juan Castillo.

Tom Melvin:

The current tight end coach for the KC Chiefs - Melvin has been closely involved with development of Travis Kelce and served as the TE coach in Philly for 11 years under Andy Reid. You want to get some production out of our TE group, this could be one way of doing so.

The Outside Hire:

Tony Dews:

Tony Dews is currently the RB coach for the Tennessee Titans but he has coached literally every positional group on a football field at some point or another. He has been around the block through college and NFL ranks and has recently coached the leading NFL rusher in Derrick Henry.

He seems destined for the next step as an OC.

My favorite candidate - Marty Mornhinweg.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'll have to stop calling him Moronwig if we hire him, I guess.

Marty has been a solid OC in several stops, but was one of the worst Lions HCs ever...and thats saying something. Many think he's earned a shot at another HC gig, though...

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Is Nagy giving up playcalling? If not, then the new OC won't be an established guy like Shurmur or Morningwheg. Like others have noted, the new hire will be some unknown guy that'll make a good puppet.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
#1 choice - Pat Shurmur
#2 choice - Marty Mornhinweg

With Nagy's relative inexperience as a playcaller and propensity to get cute with his playcalling, he needs a veteran OC who can rein him in a bit. Just my two cents.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The Mike Kafka thing will be a mistake. He's been the QB coach at KC since 2017. We have enough inexperienced people in the organization already with Pace, Nagy, & Trubisky. We don't need to promote another QB coach to OC because being a glorified QB coach is basically what Nagy is.

Kafka played QB at Northwestern & was born in Chicago, so the McCaskeys are probably semi-hard already.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Mike Kafka thing will be a mistake. He's been the QB coach at KC since 2017. We have enough inexperienced people in the organization already with Pace, Nagy, & Trubisky. We don't need to promote another QB coach to OC because being a glorified QB coach is basically what Nagy is.

Kafka played QB at Northwestern & was born in Chicago, so the McCaskeys are probably semi-hard already.

Yeah, wouldn't be my preferred route. Nagy with two coordinators that have prior head coaching experience might work. Nagy plus Nagy Light on offense equals more of the same.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Kafka would be a horrible hire.

Bring in Marty and let him call the plays on game day. Nagy can still be heavily involved in the offensive gameplan but on game-day he can focus more on clock management, in-game adjustments and orchestrate the team without having to worry about the intricacies of play-calling. He has instilled a good culture, he brings energy and players continue to fight for him, he just needs to bite the bullet and give up calling plays.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Bring in Marty and let him call the plays on game day. Nagy can still be heavily involved in the offensive gameplan but on game-day he can focus more on clock management, in-game adjustments and orchestrate the team without having to worry about the intricacies of play-calling. He has instilled a good culture, he brings energy and players continue to fight for him, he just needs to bite the bullet and give up calling plays.

I'm not even convinced he needs to give up play calling. I think he just needs someone with the stones and experience to call him out when he get's in a rut on game day.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Nagy giving up playcalling? If not, then the new OC won't be an established guy like Shurmur or Morningwheg. Like others have noted, the new hire will be some unknown guy that'll make a good puppet.

MWig has fallen far from an established HC dude....I think he'd be happy for a job.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Makes sense so it won’t happen

Toast88

Liked Posts:
#1 choice - Pat Shurmur
#2 choice - Marty Mornhinweg

With Nagy's relative inexperience as a playcaller and propensity to get cute with his playcalling, he needs a veteran OC who can rein him in a bit. Just my two cents.

This is exactly why a Kafka hire wouldn't make sense.

And exactly why it might happen anyway....

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kafka is so on brand. 10 year rebuild is right on schedule.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'd be a happy man if we could get Shurmur and C.Keenum but i just don't see Shurmur taking a OC job if he doesn't get play calling duties. Unless he's just sitting out there so long and most other teams have filled their OC positions then he might take it cause a job is a job that comes with a paycheck.