The Offseason Rumour Thread

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.

dag54

Liked Posts:
Miller's latest mock draft has the Bears taking Hopkins with pick 43 and Becton with pick 50.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
If they trust Tolliver to take over from Amukamara then I'd love to get K J Hamler (WR) and then either Mekhi Becton (OT), Lucas Niang (OT) or Neville Gallimore (IDL).

Mekhi Becton (OT) and Bryce Hall (CB) would be a very strong combo in the 2nd round I think. Anthony Gordon (QB) in the 4th with the Amos comp and then Alex Highsmith (EDGE) and Josiah Deguara (TE) in the 5th if the board fell that way.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
IMO Becton will be gone in the top 20. Absolute monster. If he's there at 43 absolute no brainer choice.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Too bad the TE group is very underwhelming this year in the draft. Hopefully we can upgrade in Free agency.

Skrine and Fuller seem trustworthy at two of our corner spots. We still have some unknown young guys as well. Tolliver held his own at times. I think Duke Shelly is a good player given the opportunity, but is probably a better fit at slot corner. Also, I'm very curious about Stephen Denmark, who we put on IR. From what I remembered of him, I was highly impressed with his college tape. I'd love for him to get an opportunity as well. All that said, if a highly rated corner is available in the draft, go for it, but I wouldn't force it. We still need to find out what we have.

Hence, our first priority should be O-Line. No doubt about it.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
Anyone who thinks we need to draft a WR with either of 2nd round picks has no clue. That is not a need at this point.

TE
OL
CB
QB
DL

These are all bigger needs then WR.
Some of you are just plain clueless and football stupid.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Anyone who thinks we need to draft a WR with either of 2nd round picks has no clue. That is not a need at this point.

TE
OL
CB
QB
DL

These are all bigger needs then WR.
Some of you are just plain clueless and football stupid.

No one has a clue yet how the draft will fall, including you. Free agency has to play out and some names who no one thinks will be available might be for various reasons. We will be losing players as well.

The fact that we need TE and OL help is not some big mystery. Anyone who says we should not draft a far superior talent in the 2nd ( like WR, EDGE for example) just because it’s not in your position group order 4 months before the draft is just plain clueless and football stupid.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont doubt that mack had a down year but if your going to look at stats, at least take it into perspective...whats considered a double team, are chips by RB/TE considered a double team? what is the criteria for a prwr how is it determined? What was the minimum snaps for a player to fall on this chart? The DT chart is also strange...Adam butler double teamed at a 70% rate vs donald at 65%? really? Butler's win rate is less than 6% so why the highest double team? Given donald's win rate one would assume donald would have a higher double team rate...

as for the Edge rush chart...all i'm saying is this chart shows quinn as an absolute god and yet for those that love pff, he ranks a mere 20th in pff pass rush grade, 21st in pressures and 12th in pass rush productivity.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Too bad the TE group is very underwhelming this year in the draft. Hopefully we can upgrade in Free agency.

Skrine and Fuller seem trustworthy at two of our corner spots. We still have some unknown young guys as well. Tolliver held his own at times. I think Duke Shelly is a good player given the opportunity, but is probably a better fit at slot corner. Also, I'm very curious about Stephen Denmark, who we put on IR. From what I remembered of him, I was highly impressed with his college tape. I'd love for him to get an opportunity as well. All that said, if a highly rated corner is available in the draft, go for it, but I wouldn't force it. We still need to find out what we have.

Hence, our first priority should be O-Line. No doubt about it.

Skrine has played some CB but it wasn't very pretty. Now that could also go back to how bad the rest of the defenses he was playing on were but pretty sure he's a NB and the same for D.Shelley who doesn't have enough size to play CB. Denmark was taking a late round shot on a kid with length and great athleticism but he looked like he needed a lot of work in the little amount of time he did play in preseason. They're either sticking with Prince, which i hope isn't the case, or going with Toliver or bring in a cheap older vet to compete with Toliver and if none of that then maybe they do draft one if it comes to BPA with one of our 2nd rounders or if Pace does some draft trading to get one at another point in the draft.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
What excuse are all these dopey CCSers gonna use for Mack now? They really relied heavily on their made up narrative that he's always double and triple teamed.

3rd most chipped pass rusher
What was his total pass rush attempts? Success % compared to the field?
What was the bears opponent average time to pass?
How about how many times he had to chip backs and tight ends to knock off routes?

Not defending. I’ve done zero film review on Mack. Just throwing out some things that could have affected it.

It didn’t help that there was literally zero pass rush on the other side. Floyd getting three sacks is damn embarrassing.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Skrine has played some CB but it wasn't very pretty. Now that could also go back to how bad the rest of the defenses he was playing on were but pretty sure he's a NB and the same for D.Shelley who doesn't have enough size to play CB. Denmark was taking a late round shot on a kid with length and great athleticism but he looked like he needed a lot of work in the little amount of time he did play in preseason. They're either sticking with Prince, which i hope isn't the case, or going with Toliver or bring in a cheap older vet to compete with Toliver and if none of that then maybe they do draft one if it comes to BPA with one of our 2nd rounders or if Pace does some draft trading to get one at another point in the draft.

Pace doesn't like to have holes in the roster where he can avoid it leading up to the draft. If we get rid of Prince, I'd be shocked if Pace doesn't sign someone else to fill the void for the time being.

Either way, I just watched Stephen Denmark's tape again, and that guy can really lay the wood! I really like him and we didn't see anything from him in preseason. He was put on IR before the 1st ever preseason game. It seemed more like a move to redshirt the kid, rather than he was badly injured...I don't remember much being said.