Kevin Toliver & Amukamara

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So I've already seen it a hundred times on Twitter and CCS..... "cut Prince and save 8 mil." Who takes over for Prince if you cut him?

Are you ready to roll into 2020 with Kevin Toliver as your CB2? I'm not. As my backup, yeah. As a starter though? I need some convincing.

And while we're at it.... who replaces Ha Ha? I don't see any way they can bring him back with the cap situation. (and besides..... can you say COMP PICK?)

My prediction is you see a rookie safety or a very cheap vet. VERY cheap.... Think Prince comes back unless the Bears are more comfortable with Toliver than I am. Certainly can't afford a good FA and I'd rather spend those two second round picks on offense.

Thoughts?

kg1187

Liked Posts:
I’ve been saying this for a long time about cutting Prince especially if they lose Dix which is likley. Nothing like thinking that losing half your starting secondary is a way of improving the team.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Tolliver stepped in well while Prince was out, and that makes Amukamara an expensive luxury who isn't exactly a player on the rise. I think you see our defensive backfield get cheap FA additions, because this draft should focus on bolstering the offense.

Well, unless we get a top notch lineman and adequate TE, then our second rounders are more likely up for debate. But our offense is still catching up to the defense.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Prince will be cut. I was thinking they might try to extend him but he lost some quickness this year and it's hard to see him as a starting cailber player past 2020. I think they would like to draft a CB with one of their 2nd rounders and probably also grab a cheaper vet, Rashaan Melvin range player.

I hope they've recognized that HHCD, while a good player, is very redundant to Eddie and limits Eddie's effectiveness. Plus he won't be cheap. Strong safety is a cheap position in free agency historically, I'd like to see them try to resign Bush at the right price. I don't know why anyone is going to pay $3-4mil per year for a career backup who management did want to start on a loaded defense in his fourth year. I think $1.5-2mil for him and then another vet around the same range.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Tolliver stepped in well while Prince was out, and that makes Amukamara an expensive luxury who isn't exactly a player on the rise. I think you see our defensive backfield get cheap FA additions, because this draft should focus on bolstering the offense.

Well, unless we get a top notch lineman and adequate TE, then our second rounders are more likely up for debate. But our offense is still catching up to the defense.

So you're good with him as your day 1 CB2 right?

And as far as cheap defensive FA additions you can get a safety on the cheap sometimes..... but not a good outside CB. You're either paying TOP dollar in free agency or usually a top two round draft pick for those guys. So all I'm saying is you better be damn sure on KT if Prince goes bye bye.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Prince will be cut. I was thinking they might try to extend him but he lost some quickness this year and it's hard to see him as a starting cailber player past 2020. I think they would like to draft a CB with one of their 2nd rounders and probably also grab a cheaper vet, Rashaan Melvin range player.

I hope they've recognized that HHCD, while a good player, is very redundant to Eddie and limits Eddie's effectiveness. Plus he won't be cheap. Strong safety is a cheap position in free agency historically, I'd like to see them try to resign Bush at the right price. I don't know why anyone is going to pay $3-4mil per year for a career backup who management did want to start on a loaded defense in his fourth year. I think $1.5-2mil for him and then another vet around the same range.

I don't see him past 2020 either. But I don't think you get better letting him go this year.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If the Bears can get Bashaud Breeland for 3-4m a year, then he's 90% of the CB Prince is at 33% of the cost.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't see him past 2020 either. But I don't think you get better letting him go this year.

If you have $8mil more to spend elsewhere I think there's a solid chance to get better.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

Prince lost a step, agreed, you try to solve and spend the money.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I saw Prince get beat on some plays while not all were his fault there were some it looked like he was in the wrong defense at times. When Toliver got beat, he got beat being right there with the right throw being made in that Cowboys game. Covered well but there will be times where you are there but the throw is better than you are. By all means, draft someone or bring someone in to push him/take the spot, but After looking at Prince for a full year, he can't be taking 8 mill.

He wants to come back for less to prove he can still do it, I'm all in on that. He can have a 3-4 mill one year prove it deal. Otherwise someone else can pay him more.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
So you're good with him as your day 1 CB2 right?

And as far as cheap defensive FA additions you can get a safety on the cheap sometimes..... but not a good outside CB. You're either paying TOP dollar in free agency or usually a top two round draft pick for those guys. So all I'm saying is you better be damn sure on KT if Prince goes bye bye.
Yeah, I'm good with him starting out of the box. He showed up and played well with the big boys when his number got called. I have more confidence in Tolliver than I would in a rookie.

Our defense might take a step back with departing players, but that can't be helped this time around. I'd rather resign Bush or HaHa than I would spend a draft pick on a DB this time around.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd definitely cut Prince and then open up the competition for his spot. Skrine has and can play the outside (not ideal), but let the best 2 win CB2 and nickel between Skrine, Toliver, Shelley, and hopefully a draft pick. Also have guys like Michael Joseph, who I know they like. Could also sign a cheap FA if they want a veteran in the mix.

At SS, I'd re-sign Bush. I thought they liked him in camp, but he didn't play too much after a disasterous drive the first time he was in against GB in the opener. I'd pencil him in to start, add a cheap vet again and use a midround pick on the position.

The cheap vets would probably be guys that sign after the draft who are looking for jobs still. 1-1.5M types if they make the roster.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Does anyone know how soon we have to cut Prince to get the $8 mil in savings? I'm thinking if they can role through the draft and early FA and see how finding Dix's replacement goes will dictate what we do at CB #2.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Assuming Hicks comes back 100%...is keeping Prince a need?

I mean...there should be a bevy of UFA CBs

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If you have $8mil more to spend elsewhere I think there's a solid chance to get better.
On what? Where? 8mil is chump change in the free agent market. No guarantees you get a better player than Prince with that money. 50/50 chance you bring in someone worse.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd definitely cut Prince and then open up the competition for his spot. Skrine has and can play the outside (not ideal), but let the best 2 win CB2 and nickel between Skrine, Toliver, Shelley, and hopefully a draft pick. Also have guys like Michael Joseph, who I know they like. Could also sign a cheap FA if they want a veteran in the mix.

At SS, I'd re-sign Bush. I thought they liked him in camp, but he didn't play too much after a disasterous drive the first time he was in against GB in the opener. I'd pencil him in to start, add a cheap vet again and use a midround pick on the position.

The cheap vets would probably be guys that sign after the draft who are looking for jobs still. 1-1.5M types if they make the roster.

NO NO NO.

NO!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
On what? Where? 8mil is chump change in the free agent market. No guarantees you get a better player than Prince with that money. 50/50 chance you bring in someone worse.

$8mil is chump change for one great player. The flexibility that $8mil can provide is something, it could allow them to sign someone they couldn't have otherwise, for example.

Prince simply isn't worth that much as well. He was average this past imo and is declining. I thought Tolliver looked at least as good as Prince when he was in.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Does anyone know how soon we have to cut Prince to get the $8 mil in savings? I'm thinking if they can role through the draft and early FA and see how finding Dix's replacement goes will dictate what we do at CB #2.

They can cut him whenever.

Free agency starts long before the draft though; for the most part it's over by the draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
$8mil is chump change for one great player. The flexibility that $8mil can provide is something, it could allow them to sign someone they couldn't have otherwise, for example.

Prince simply isn't worth that much as well. He was average this past imo and is declining. I thought Tolliver looked at least as good as Prince when he was in.

That's what I'm looking to find out.