My plan for fixing the OL

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One free agent that makes a ton of sense for the Bears would be Halapoulivaati Vaitai from Philadelphia

-20 Starts, including a Super Bowl
-Can play LT, RT, or RG
-Knows the system
-Adds some size and power [6'6" 320lbs]

Start him at RG
Draft an OG to Develop
2021 He moves to RT

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Another free agent OLmen that makes sense with the budget is OT Dennis Kelly from Ten.

-31 career starts
-Starts at RT and LT
-Adds size [6'8" 320lbs]
-From Chicago
-Not super expensive

Kelly can come in and compete at RT and LT and backup if he does not win one of the competition. Gives the Bears a high end swing OT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My 2020 OL

RT: Massie, Vaitai
RG: Vaitai, Draft Pick
C: Whitehair
LG: Daniels, Bars
LT: Leno/Dennis Kelly [Ten]

-Sign Hal Vaitai 4 years 32 million/19 guaranteed
-Sign Dennis Kelly 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed
-Draft an OG in Round 4

My 2021 OL

RT: Vaitai
RG: 2020 Draft Pick/Bars/2021 FA
C: Whitehair
LG: Daniels
LT: Kelly/21 High Draft Pick

-Sign an OG to compete with the 2020 Draft Pick
-Draft a LT high in the draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Average salaries would roughly match and then drop when the over priced OTs are gone.

Leno 9.25
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
Long 10
Massie 7.7
Lucas 1
Larsen 1
Coward .680

Leno 9.25
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
Vaitai 8
Massie 7.7
Kelly 4
4th .800
Bars .680

Kelly 4
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
2020 4th .8
Vaitai 8
2021 2nd 1.7
Bars .680
FA OG 3

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
So you recommend two ex-Eagles and just expect me to sit on my hands? (Kelly was drafted by the Eagles and spent time there)

Kelly is very meh. Decent swing tackle, but not a starter.

Vaitai is a good RT (can play LT, but he's slow), but I think his best position is guard. Eitherway, he's got some positional flexibility, which some teams really appreciate.

The one area you are sort of missing with both is age. Next season Vaitai will be 27 and Kelly will be 30.

I think there's going to be a fairly strong market for Vaitai and someone might give them decent RT money to be their starter. His resume and tape are both solid. I mean if Massie get's $8M/year isn't that the floor for Vaitai?

For Kelly at this point in his career he's a swing tackle backup only and not a part of your longer term planning.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What does our cap look like?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What does our cap look like?
thumb.aspx

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So you recommend two ex-Eagles and just expect me to sit on my hands? (Kelly was drafted by the Eagles and spent time there)

Vaitai is a good RT (can play LT, but he's slow), but I think his best position is guard. Eitherway, he's got some positional flexibility, which some teams really appreciate.

The one area you are sort of missing with both is age. Next season Vaitai will be 27 and Kelly will be 30.

I think there's going to be a fairly strong market for Vaitai and someone might give them decent RT money to be their starter. His resume and tape are both solid. I mean if Massie get's $8M/year isn't that the floor for Vaitai?

For Kelly at this point in his career he's a swing tackle backup only and not a part of your longer term planning.

with the way our cap is we aren’t looking for break the cap players. We are looking for solid depth and guys to get by with until we get out of obligations to massie and leno

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Kelly has been solid in Tennessee.

I am signing him just so that Leno and Massie are not unquestioned starters. They need some competition, although I am not sure Kelly beats either out.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
with the way our cap is we aren’t looking for break the cap players. We are looking for solid depth and guys to get by with until we get out of obligations to massie and leno
Yeah, i think that's what I was leaning towards. Kelly might be your guy. I would call him 'functionally adequate' as a backup. Truthfully your starters are giving you backup quality reps, so maybe it's just as well to sign a guy like Kelly and let him compete.

Vaitai is probably out of your price range for what would be a 3rd tackle.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Why not go for Glasgow/scherff and then draft a tackle to replace massie?

Why settle for these upgrades?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, i think that's what I was leaning towards. Kelly might be your guy. I would call him 'functionally adequate' as a backup. Truthfully your starters are giving you backup quality reps, so maybe it's just as well to sign a guy like Kelly and let him compete.

Vaitai is probably out of your price range for what would be a 3rd tackle.

Vaitai would be the RG.

8-9 million is doable.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Erick Flowers is an interesting option former Giants first round pick at Tackle played LT and RT but had a decent year at guard will Redskins Bill Callahan.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Scherff is going to be franchise tagged.

I really like Glasgow and would be happy with him.

Vaitai's ability to play OT swings it for me. If our OTs suck we can move him outside in a pinch.

It is also easier to draft a long term OG than a long term OT.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

We have 10 free agents plus players that look like we are definitely cutting. That 50 mil in free space going to dry up quick. Have to be realistic with who we sign. Our offseason will look allot like last seasons.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Erick Flowers is an interesting option former Giants first round pick at Tackle played LT and RT but had a decent year at guard will Redskins Bill Callahan.
giphy.gif

Seriously though, the only thing that interests me about Flowers is his age. He's only 25, so there's room for improvement. Last year he was.... not terrible. The one thing you know for certain is that he cannot play tackle.

Like, not at all.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Can’t wait to fix this o line so Trubs can have plenty of time to overthrow his receivers.....