Question about Chicago

msadows

Liked Posts:
Don't go to ditka's.

It's not that good for the price. If it didn't have the name ditka attached to it the fucking place would have folded already

msadows

Liked Posts:
Capital Grille if looking for steak. A bit pricey but worth every bite. Gibsons cant compare.

Grand Luxe is another place for general American food items.

Lawry's the prime rib. Grand Luxe and Lawry's are actually across the street from each other.

Not to be a dick, but why would he visit chicago just to dine at a chain? Its owned by Darden(Olive Garden, Longhorn, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, etc)

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Checked out Alinea and they have no menu. Sounds kinda weird if you are going to pay anywhere from $210 to $385 for a meal, with beverages being extra

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The words of someone who has never been.

Nice things cost money.

It's a top 3 restaurant in the country. Obviously its going to cost you a pretty penny.
The words of a maroon. I'd rather give the $350 to a pan handler than be that schmuck that pays that amount for a meal.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I'd skip Dikta's. For steak I like Mastro's, Swift & Son's, or Steak 48. I think it's pointless to recommend a pizza place. I could probably name 25 places I really like. It depends on your preference in pizza style, neighborhood, mood, etc. For fast food, I say Portillo's. Don't listen to the contrarians. Pretty much everyone loves Portillo's and for good reason. I'm not a big fast food person, but their hotdogs, beef, burgers, and even salads are all good.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For Food: Alinea is definitely one of the finest restaurants in the country. It may be too late to get in there. Another high end tasting menu place is Oriole. You might get in there but it, too, is very popular. And I think equally as good. The Blackbird rec is solid. More recently we like Bellemore and Pacific Standard Time. Boka and Sepia are good higher end places. too. For Italian we like Piccolo Songno and Montverde. Spiaggia for high end Italian. Cafe Spiaggia is a step down but still solid. The only Mexican I can recommend is one of Rick Bayless' places. Topolobampo is higher end tasting menu but isn't formal and is excellent. Fronterra Grille attached is more caual but don't take reservations.

If you want steak go to Bavette's or maybe RPM Steak but Didka's isn't worth the time or money. If you have to have "Chicago" pizza then Perquod's or Malnati's. If you must. Italian Beer, eh, again if you have to have it Portillo's is convenient if nothing else. some people love Al's. Momotaro is fantastic for Japanese/sushi.

The Field Museum, the Shedd Aquariam and the Chicago Art Institute are all great. A tour of Soldier Field sounds interesting. Navy Pier is super touristy. But, you are a tourist, so fine, but be forewarned.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Has anyone ever been to Roka Akur? Surprised no one has mentioned it. Japanese steakhouse. Has A5 Wagyu beef which is considered the highest grade beef in the world. 30 dollars an ounce I think. Everything there though is good.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
For fast food, I say Portillo's. Don't listen to the contrarians. Pretty much everyone loves Portillo's and for good reason. I'm not a big fast food person, but their hotdogs, beef, burgers, and even salads are all good.
Anyone that says Portillos is good is clueless. I grew up with legendary burgers and dogs from the best places in Chicago: Gene and Judes, Nicks, Superdawg, Tastee Hastee, Assembly.

Every wonder why Portillos is only has 2 locations in Chicago (and both are downtown tourist traps)? It's because they couldnt compete with the great local dog/burger places

Had a burger 6 months ago from Portillos. It was cooked past well done and hard as a hockey puck. Spit it out

Not a single thing at Portillos is made fesh. Everything is frozen and made in some food factory. No handformed burgers. No fresh fries

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Anyone that says Portillos is good is clueless. I grew up with legendary burgers and dogs from the best places in Chicago: Gene and Judes, Nicks, Superdawg, Tastee Hastee, Assembly.

Every wonder why Portillos is only has 2 locations in Chicago (and both are downtown tourist traps)? It's because they couldnt compete with the great local dog/burger places

Had a burger 6 months ago from Portillos. It was cooked past well done and hard as a hockey puck. Spit it out

Not a single thing at Portillos is made fesh. Everything is frozen and made in some food factory. No handformed burgers. No fresh fries
Portillo's is average. Barnelli's pasta bowl is better which is attached to most of them.

Don't make it out to be some horrible place though. It's decent. Just better options obviously.

If you want to get a burger in 10 minutes and it had to be name brand aka a chain, my recommendation would be Shake Shack.

Want to get a sit down burger? Then my recommendation is Kuma's or Au Cheval.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
The architectural boat tour has been highly recommended. I've never done it, but everyone I know that has, swears by it. Also, not sure if it's available in February.

Boilerdown85

Liked Posts:
For Food: Alinea is definitely one of the finest restaurants in the country. It may be too late to get in there. Another high end tasting menu place is Oriole. You might get in there but it, too, is very popular. And I think equally as good. The Blackbird rec is solid. More recently we like Bellemore and Pacific Standard Time. Boka and Sepia are good higher end places. too. For Italian we like Piccolo Songno and Montverde. Spiaggia for high end Italian. Cafe Spiaggia is a step down but still solid. The only Mexican I can recommend is one of Rick Bayless' places. Topolobampo is higher end tasting menu but isn't formal and is excellent. Fronterra Grille attached is more caual but don't take reservations.

If you want steak go to Bavette's or maybe RPM Steak but Didka's isn't worth the time or money. If you have to have "Chicago" pizza then Perquod's or Malnati's. If you must. Italian Beer, eh, again if you have to have it Portillo's is convenient if nothing else. some people love Al's. Momotaro is fantastic for Japanese/sushi.

The Field Museum, the Shedd Aquariam and the Chicago Art Institute are all great. A tour of Soldier Field sounds interesting. Navy Pier is super touristy. But, you are a tourist, so fine, but be forewarned.
This guys knows what’s up, solid suggestions

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to be a dick, but why would he visit chicago just to dine at a chain? Its owned by Darden(Olive Garden, Longhorn, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, etc)
Since you must ask, I've been to that "chain" in other locations. While similar, they are not all cookie cutter. The one downtown is superior to the others I've been to. Plus it's near the Water Tower, Mag Mile, Garrett's, etc.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is a Portillos Beef
View attachment 4383

Here is a beef from the Beef Shack
View attachment 4384

Is that cheese on an Italian beef?

Portillo's is average or above average. It is a chain but don't really get he hate over a chain restaurant. If given a short time in Chicago, where food is considered, I would not recommend Portillo's (or Italian beef necessarily) nor would I recommend "Chicago pizza". There are a ton of great places to eat in the city that aren't as formulatic.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Gene and Judes is the best hot dog and fries in the Chicagoland area. Johnny's is the best beef.

If you're looking for a more upscale place, I can't recommend Boefhaus enough.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Checked out Alinea and they have no menu. Sounds kinda weird if you are going to pay anywhere from $210 to $385 for a meal, with beverages being extra

The menu is chef selected. Its a Michelin rated restaurant. The food at those places is unique but delicious.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Is that cheese on an Italian beef?

Portillo's is average or above average. It is a chain but don't really get he hate over a chain restaurant. If given a short time in Chicago, where food is considered, I would not recommend Portillo's (or Italian beef necessarily) nor would I recommend "Chicago pizza". There are a ton of great places to eat in the city that aren't as formulatic.

Have you tried blackbird yet? I highly suggest it.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been to Blackbird many times, since they opened or very close. The restaurants in that group are all good (Especially Pacific Standard Time and Big Star) and their partnership in Nico Osteria is good, as well. Have not been to Avec. They are also corkage friendly. Blackbird has held up very, very well.