Bears' offseason fixes.....

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Hunter Henry cant stay on the field (the bears already have 2 TE doing that) AND the Chargers walk into the offseason with 56 million (per sportrac) in cap space before any cuts/restructures/extensions. It should be very alarming if they just let him walk out the door. But I guess that hasn't stopped Pace before (Pernell McKnee)...

Hooper is doable. Falcons are in a cap crunch walking into the offseason with 7 mil in cap space (per sportrac). Use a 2nd on Pinkney, Kmet, or Hopkins and let the new TE coach Clancy work his magic, as he's got Julius Thomas and Kyle Rudolph development on his resume.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I really have to agree with you about HH. He has yet to stay healthy. We already have an overpaid TE that has been injured since he's been here. We can't keep buying dreams and wishes. Dude can't stay healthy. Let him sign a one year prove it deal, or even better long term deal over multiple years with lots of guaranteed money and a large cap hit with GB. Ahem, Fuck GB.

On the other hand, I completely agree Hooper is do-able. In fact, I will go as far as saying he is the type of FA TE that we should be targeting. Finished a contract, few injuries, can catch, and a proven commodity. He costs nothing but a Gabriel contract to bring in, so why not?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I have to imagine the Bolts keep Henry on a 'prove it' deal. They got the cash, and Phillip Rivers is their other, arguable 'must keep' for them. Don't know if they'll move on or if they keep him as a 'bridge' to whomever they draft. Given the market-to-be for TE, that Eric Ebron is a sought after commodity, tells me there's a lack of talent at TE position in the country--so someone will give him a multi year deal. My personal preference is to draft a TE, even two with a 2nd for a U TE and later round pick for Y TE.

Don't get the love of Vaitai either. Dude's been a back up swing g/t his whole career, and Ryan Pace cant afford a gamble on a guy who played 430 snaps in 2019 (for context, Charles Leno, a starter on a bad offense played 1060 snaps) and hope he replicates that. Also, the bears have some cap space to make a move or a splash, probably not as many as some other teams. The draft seems top heavy in Olinemen, at tackle or guard that the Bears can use the other 2nd on.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Glasgow or Vaitai will be a better value than Hooper.

Although I wouldn’t blame them for over paying Hooper to stop the shit show at TE

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have to imagine the Bolts keep Henry on a 'prove it' deal. They got the cash, and Phillip Rivers is their other, arguable 'must keep' for them. Don't know if they'll move on or if they keep him as a 'bridge' to whomever they draft. Given the market-to-be for TE, that Eric Ebron is a sought after commodity, tells me there's a lack of talent at TE position in the country--so someone will give him a multi year deal. My personal preference is to draft a TE, even two with a 2nd for a U TE and later round pick for Y TE.

Don't get the love of Vaitai either. Dude's been a back up swing g/t his whole career, and Ryan Pace cant afford a gamble on a guy who played 430 snaps in 2019 (for context, Charles Leno, a starter on a bad offense played 1060 snaps) and hope he replicates that. Also, the bears have some cap space to make a move or a splash, probably not as many as some other teams. The draft seems top heavy in Olinemen, at tackle or guard that the Bears can use the other 2nd on.

Vaitai

-20 career starts, including a Super Bowl
-starts at LT, RT, and RG
-comes from one of the best OLS in football

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they are going to spend much at TE, especially if they decide to draft a TE high.....

They have several holes to fill. Top priorities in the offseason need to be G, TE, backup T, ILB, SS, backup QB....

Not sure which Bears will prioritize in FA and the draft....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't think they are going to spend much at TE, especially if they decide to draft a TE high.....

They have several holes to fill. Top priorities in the offseason need to be G, TE, backup T, ILB, SS, backup QB....

OLB is up there as well IMO and we also need to decide what to do with Prince and how to replace him if he's let go and backup RB which can't be Cohen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I wouldn’t be shocked off if Pace said F it, out TE position is so bad, I am just signing the best.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t be shocked off if Pace said F it, out TE position is so bad, I am just signing the best.

They are expecting Burton back and he played pretty well in 2018. I don't think they will spend top dollar for TE.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Imagine the Bears see Burton as the “solution” at U TE now that he’s had an entire season to recover. I’m not sold he’ll be back to 2018 form again in his career but I’d bet the guy who signed him in the first place is more optimistic. While drafting a TE high has its merits, rookie TEs have a notoriously difficult time adjusting to NFL and aren’t likely to be good until they have 2-3 seasons under their belt. That doesn’t help team in 2020 or 2021.

Bears probably need 2 seasons to address all their issues for a multitude of reasons, impatient fans tantrums aside. This FA class has a wide selection of IOL of varying abilities and across a bunch of price points. That’s the biggest need that can’t be addressed by someone already on the roster. I’ve been in the Thuney camp so far this offseason, but there are a bunch of good options. Would be shocked if Bears don’t grab an OL, probably OT, with one of the 2 2nds.

QB may be bigger but circumstances are likely to prevent an honest attempt to replace until 2021.

Can’t see the Bears justifying the money to spend on Green, he would make the Bears WR core one of the best in league but they still don’t have a guy who can reliably find or hit their receivers, nor the OL to give struggling QBs time to do so.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Can’t see the Bears justifying the money to spend on Green, he would make the Bears WR core one of the best in league but they still don’t have a guy who can reliably find or hit their receivers, nor the OL to give struggling QBs time to do so.

This is how you read defenses. One can tell Mahomes did his share of film study, pre snap defensive formations, tendencies...and he made his O line look good.

Mitch? not so much

msadows

Liked Posts:
They are expecting Burton back and he played pretty well in 2018. I don't think they will spend top dollar for TE.

They expected him to play in the playoffs as well.

They expected him to be ready this past season.

The only thing they should expect from burton from now on is to not expect anything.

The guy had a groin, calf, and now hip injury this year. Not one, but count um, THREE. No one should rely on him.

I won't be shocked if they draft AND sign a guy. This is the most important skill position on the offense. Nagy says it himself. You can't depend on a guy whos average when healthy.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is how you read defenses. One can tell Mahomes did his share of film study, pre snap defensive formations, tendencies...and he made his O line look good.

Mitch? not so much

Cry some more

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
They expected him to play in the playoffs as well.

They expected him to be ready this past season.

The only thing they should expect from burton from now on is to not expect anything.

The guy had a groin, calf, and now hip injury this year. Not one, but count um, THREE. No one should rely on him.

I won't be shocked if they draft AND sign a guy. This is the most important skill position on the offense. Nagy says it himself. You can't depend on a guy whos average when healthy.
Don't forget a pretty bad hernia. The guys beat to hell.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Imagine the Bears see Burton as the “solution” at U TE now that he’s had an entire season to recover. I’m not sold he’ll be back to 2018 form again in his career but I’d bet the guy who signed him in the first place is more optimistic. While drafting a TE high has its merits, rookie TEs have a notoriously difficult time adjusting to NFL and aren’t likely to be good until they have 2-3 seasons under their belt. That doesn’t help team in 2020 or 2021.

Bears probably need 2 seasons to address all their issues for a multitude of reasons, impatient fans tantrums aside. This FA class has a wide selection of IOL of varying abilities and across a bunch of price points. That’s the biggest need that can’t be addressed by someone already on the roster. I’ve been in the Thuney camp so far this offseason, but there are a bunch of good options. Would be shocked if Bears don’t grab an OL, probably OT, with one of the 2 2nds.

QB may be bigger but circumstances are likely to prevent an honest attempt to replace until 2021.

Doubtful they see him as the solution. Even when he was healthy in 2018 he was very mediocre in an offense built around him.

He also is recovering from ANOTHER seperate lower body surgery this offseason, so he isn't coming into 2020 healthy. He more than likely won't participate in camp again just like how he didn't in 2019.

And QB is most certainly not a bigger need. We've all seen mitch be mediocre when his supporting cast is clicking. Give him a new tackle/guard, improve the oline play to average, and we should have an average run game. With this defense and an average run game any QB could compete for a playoff spot.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
I don't think Burton was average I'm pretty sure he was top 10 in receptions or receiving yards and ranked the number 1 run blocking TE. Him getting hurt was a bigger loss then people are giving him credit for.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't think Burton was average I'm pretty sure he was top 10 in receptions or receiving yards and ranked the number 1 run blocking TE. Him getting hurt was a bigger loss then people are giving him credit for.

10th in receptions, 13th in yardage.

I'd say he was somewhere in the 10-15 range as far as starting TE's go. He was solid, but not anything you build an offense around like Nagy wants to.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Doubtful they see him as the solution. Even when he was healthy in 2018 he was very mediocre in an offense built around him.

He also is recovering from ANOTHER seperate lower body surgery this offseason, so he isn't coming into 2020 healthy. He more than likely won't participate in camp again just like how he didn't in 2019.

And QB is most certainly not a bigger need. We've all seen mitch be mediocre when his supporting cast is clicking. Give him a new tackle/guard, improve the oline play to average, and we should have an average run game. With this defense and an average run game any QB could compete for a playoff spot.

Lol a month after season ended and you’re back to staning Trubisky, that was fast.