Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Am I the only one who thinks they should have waited until after they get a QB in the draft to announce this? Just seems stupid IMO.
Na. Makes them an absolute for FAs and everyone knows they need a QB whether Rivers is there or not come the draft.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The draft is after FA.

Phillip Rivers is arguably the best player in that franchises history.

Why would they try to fuck him over by not allowing him to pursue HIS best interests?

Well.....Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, LaDainian Tomlinson and Lance Alworth might differ with you. ;)

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think he has very little left but I’ll take him over what I already know is going to be the result with Mitchell.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That's weird. Cousins' contract is not expiring, so if a situation that's not happening, happens then you've got it all sorted out?

Okay, let me play.

If any team didn't have a plan at QB they would be interested in Rivers as a vet rental...
I just think about QBs about ready to retire go to Minnesota...Jeff George...Warren Moon...Randall Cunningham...Jim McMahon...Brett Favre...

I think he goes to Vegas once Gruden releases Carr

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Unless we can get Bridgewater I see a bunch of gambles or never was never will be's.

We probably get Keenum and Trubisky for 30 million total and get nowhere.

Rivers/Brady is the single biggest instant upgrade you can give the Bears and get some value for the Mack trade.

Keenum's playing on 3.5m this season. His next contract isn't going to be more than 3 years or $6m a pop.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The #2 player in their franchise for added value.

He's a pretty good linebacker.

Junior Seau RIP

I think 16 seasons is a fulfilling career. it's too bad they got knocked off by the Patriots twice in the playoffs when they had a chance at going all the way. he probably retires, but who knows.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
You can say some of his passes looked bad. You can say he's old. But 4600 yards says he can still throw the ball and gash defenses. The offense is going to score. Last year he had a lot of picks but historically he's only about average at 2.5% INT rate.

Maybe he's on the downside or maybe it was just an off year and you get a buy low. In 2018 he was a 4300 yard, 32TD, 12INT, 105 rated QB that won 12 games. An average season for him is something like 4500 yards, 30TD, 14INT, 98 rating. If he reverts to the mean, he'd make us a lot better.

I can't see this happening, but in the least you'd have a legitimate NFL QB that can move the ball and wouldn't be this 190 yards, 15 points a game that keeps wasting a good defense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can say some of his passes looked bad. You can say he's old. But 4600 yards says he can still throw the ball and gash defenses. The offense is going to score. Last year he had a lot of picks but historically he's only about average at 2.5% INT rate.

Maybe he's on the downside or maybe it was just an off year and you get a buy low. In 2018 he was a 4300 yard, 32TD, 12INT, 105 rated QB that won 12 games. An average season for him is something like 4500 yards, 30TD, 14INT, 98 rating. If he reverts to the mean, he'd make us a lot better.

I can't see this happening, but in the least you'd have a legitimate NFL QB that can move the ball and wouldn't be this 190 yards, 15 points a game that keeps wasting a good defense.

The problem is that you would have 0 money left over for a legitimate NFL RG, TE, OLB. SS

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
The problem is that you would have 0 money left over for a legitimate NFL RG, TE, OLB. SS

The money would have to work. But if you are going to spend money, I'd do it on a QB.

If Rivers plays to his average then you have to develop secondary positions and sign a lot of 1 year vet deals to get by. But you'd have a legitimate proven QB for the next 3-4 years when the defense should be good. Its a lot easier to find guards, tight ends and safeties among later draft picks and its not that hard to find budget 1 year deals.

What is really hard to find is a QB. Obviously, us Bears fans know that as much as any fan.

Otherwise, its cross your fingers on Mitch, another draft pick or budget backup QB. This has been the formula since the 1980's and it hasn't worked.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You’re acting like the possibility of them not taking a QB straight up doesn’t exist. Teams that are supposed to (or should) take QBs in the first don’t every year. Recent examples include NYG when they took Saquon. Broncos last season. Jaguars last season. This is not a foregone conclusion.

Those teams also got QBs from someplace else.NY thought they could get more mileage out of Manning. Broncos thought Keenum then Flacco could help and Jags traded for what they thought was a good enough QB.