The 2020 Senior Bowl Discussion

dennehy

Liked Posts:
U mentioned earlier how Qb's drafted 3rd or 4th don't typically pan out. Mitch was a 1st rounder and ppl. here question if he's panning out

Why would I keep that in mind?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think he'll be gone in the 2nd. This is a straight up mauler. I don't want a finesse offensive line. I want a line that when they line up against those huge defensive tackles the OL straight up knocks those MFers off the line.

Here's footage of him (#68) against an NFL caliber defensive line (Alabama), mostly going up against Raekwon Davis (99):

PS: It's always good when Alabama loses.

Your right. I watched the Senior Bowl Stuff finally. No way lasts past the 2nd. Dude is an ass kicker.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought you said Pace doesn't go BPA in the draft? Hmmmmmm

I've also said multiple times that Pace should fill the RG spot in free agency over the draft cause we need someone that we know can play in the NFL to take over that spot.

All hail Ryan Pace.

I am not claiming Pace goes BPA. I am saying that I would go BPA and BPA is likely to be a WR.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
U mentioned earlier how Qb's drafted 3rd or 4th don't typically pan out. Mitch was a 1st rounder and ppl. here question if he's panning out

It is true though. Typically does not mean always.

The vast majority of starting QBs are not 3rd or 4th round picks. The vast majority are 1st rounders so typically 3rd and 4th rounders dont pan out as starters.

Wilson, Cousins and Dak are the only 3 3-4th rounders that come to mind out of 32 starters. Meanwhile there are around 20 starting QBs that are first rounders.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:

The vast majority of starting QBs are not 3rd or 4th round picks. The vast majority are 1st rounders so typically 3rd and 4th rounders dont pan out as starters.

Wilson, Cousins and Dak are the only 3 3-4th rounders that come to mind out of 32 starters. Meanwhile there are around 20 starting QBs that are first rounders.

So what your genius ass is telling me is that you have a better chance of finding a starter in the early rounds?

Holy fuck bro, someone get this breaking news to Ryan Pace.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what your genius ass is telling me is that you have a better chance of finding a starter in the early rounds?

well considering a lot of people want to use a mid round on a pick to potentially replace Trubisky as the starter, I think Remy justified in discussing it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And btw, remy, last year 14/32 starting QB's in the league were not taken in the first round. 15 if you count brees/teddy which were taken at 32.

msadows

Liked Posts:
well considering a lot of people want to use a mid round on a pick to potentially replace Trubisky as the starter, I think Remy justified in discussing it.

If there is any year to do it I guess it's this year. Plenty of talent in the 2nd round available. I just don't think its the move to make considering the fact it wont make an impact on 2020.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
And btw, remy, last year 14/32 starting QB's in the league were not taken in the first round. 15 if you count brees/teddy which were taken at 32.

32 is in the first as I recall.....and that is pretty close to the 20 number that Remy had guessed at...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Depending on how you define starter (more than 32 QBs started last year, obviously) something like 7 or 8 of 32 were drafted after the 2nd round.

Dak, Cousins, Wilson, Brady, Fitz, Keenum, Foles, Brissett. And Keenum, Brissett, and arguably Fitz were starters only because of injury, retirement, and sucky play of first rounders.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Intrigued by Gordon.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Reading is fundamental. Run and Shoot was suggesting the assertion that 3rd and 4th round QBs failing was typical was in fact not typical. He was also asserting that the fact Trubs failed as first rounder was somehow similar to a 3rd round or 4th rounder failing.

So the point of the post was to point out to him that he is incorrect. 3rd & 4th round QBs represent around 10% of the starters in the NFL with 1st rounders representing 55-66%. So the poster saying 3rd & 4th round QBs failing is typical is in fact correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

Was going off this list based on last regular season start. Guys like Jackson, Watson, Haskins, Stafford not included although obvious they are the starters now. Rather than get into the minute details of what counts as starter, it was easier to give a rough number ie around 20.

If there is any year to do it I guess it's this year. Plenty of talent in the 2nd round available. I just don't think its the move to make considering the fact it wont make an impact on 2020.

Run and Shoot was not talking about 2nd round. He was talking about 3rd and 4th round. I would have no problem with a 2nd round QB.

Last edited:

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

History shows if you don't take a QB in the 1st its unlikely they will become a starter.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

coolio

Liked Posts:
Almost all franchise QB's are first round picks. Only ones I can think of that aren't are like Russell Wilson who fell a lot because of his height. Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Luck, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Wentz, Stafford, just off the top of my head. Big Ben, Philip Rivers, Eli etc.

Very rarely you will get a franchise QB in round three and up. Even round 2 is very suspect unless it's at the beginning.

Do I think Anthony Gordon will be a franchise QB? Nah.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's still approximately as many in the 1st round as the the other 6 plus UDFAs combined. More of the later would also be losing their jobs if the GMs could find a replacement.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Reading is fundamental. Run and Shoot was suggesting the assertion that 3rd and 4th round QBs failing was typical was in fact not typical. He was also asserting that the fact Trubs failed as first rounder was somehow similar to a 3rd round or 4th rounder failing.

So the point of the post was to point out to him that he is incorrect. 3rd & 4th round QBs represent around 10% of the starters in the NFL with 1st rounders representing 55-66%. So the poster saying 3rd & 4th round QBs failing is typical is in fact correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

Was going off this list based on last regular season start. Guys like Jackson, Watson, Haskins, Stafford not included although obvious they are the starters now. Rather than get into the minute details of what counts as starter, it was easier to give a rough number ie around 20.

Run and Shoot was not talking about 2nd round. He was talking about 3rd and 4th round. I would have no problem with a 2nd round QB.

>>>>>>>#121 <<<<< take a look at how the discussion was going between me and the other poster.
I wasn't saying that 3-4th rounders are are comparable to 1st rounders or failure rates.

In your post, #125 u talk about starting Qb's.
However....I was merely saying that some ppl. here say Mitch isn't "panning" out and he happens to be a 1st rounder. NO....thats not a referendum or indictment against 1st round and or starting Qb's etc. Good talent is were ya find it.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
>>>>>>>#121 <<<<< take a look at how the discussion was going between me and the other poster.
I wasn't saying that 3-4th rounders are are comparable to 1st rounders or failure rates.

In your post, #125 u talk about starting Qb's.
However....I was merely saying that some ppl. here say Mitch isn't "panning" out and he happens to be a 1st rounder. NO....thats not a referendum or indictment against 1st round and or starting Qb's etc. Good talent is were ya find it.

You said that response to someone saying 3rd and 4th round QBs do not pan out. So it gives the impression you are ignoring the fact that 1st round QBs are more successful as a whole as otherwise what is the point. We all know the success rate is not 100% but it is considerably better than 3rd and 4th rounders.