No New CBA/FA Goes to Hell Offseason

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Free Agency [18 million spent]

QB Case Keenum [Washington] 1 year 5 million/5 guaranteed [5]

The Bears need someone who can step in and start games if Mitch goes down in flames. Keenum is the worst, but most affordable option that the Bears can turn to. If the Dalton market is too rich or the QB carousal is not to their liking they should save their money and get Keenum to break glass in case of emergency.

3c747da6e43449a28bed9c267d6a176e.jpg

OG Stefen Wisniewski [Kansas City] 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed/2 SB [4]

They need a starting quality OG at a minimum and if the OL market explodes they may need to make a move in the 2nd tier. Wiesniewski has started in Super Bowls for the Eagles and Chiefs and knows the system very well. He is not a special player, but he is a lunch pale starter who can play OG and C and would stop the bleeding at RG while they look for a long term high upside starter.

Year 1: 3 GS/1 SB [4]
Year 2: 3 Salary/1 SB [4]

Stefen+Wisniewski+Super+Bowl+LIV+San+Francisco+5ysI3hV3H2al.jpg

TE Blake Bell [Kansas City] 2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed [1.5]

If they cannot land Ebron or Hooper the Bears will need to add another body to the group and give themselves options at the position while they look at a long term solution. Bell is a big body [6'6' 260lbs] can catch the ball a little and block and can compete with Harris at the Y TE.

Year 1: 1 GS/.5 RB [1.5]
Year 2: 2.5 salary [2.5]

blake-bell-of-the-kansas-city-chiefs-celebrates-his-eight-yard-the-picture-id1199089706

OT David Sharpe [Oakland] 2 years 5 million/1.5 guaranteed [1.5]

The Bears need a better swing OT that can actually compete with Leno and Massie. Sharpe is a young [25], big [6'6" 340lbs], developing player who has started games at LT and RT for the Raiders. He can come in and compete at both OT spots and offer a better option than Lucas if one of the OTs goes down or gets injured.

Year 1: 1 GS/.5 RB [1.5] *100k of 2021 salary guaranteed/start
Year 2: 3.5 salary [2.5]

gallery_medium.jpg

OLB Jabaal Sheard [Indianapolis] 2 years 5 million/4 guaranteed/3 SB [2]

The Bears need a #3 OLB that has some pelts on the wall, but will not cost a lot. Sheard is getting older, but he is a productive player in a rotation, can also play the run, and has a connection with Chuck Pagano. By signing him to a 2 year deal the Bears can make sure he does not qualify for the comp pick formula, but Sheard still gets 4 million for the season.

Year 1: .5 GS/1.5 SB [2]
Year 2: 1 salary/.5 GS/1.5 SB [3]

081317_sheard-lions-stance_622.jpg

S Tony Jefferson [Baltimore] 1 year 4 million/1 guaranteed *150k/start bonus [4]

Jefferson is coming off an injury, but he is an ideal SS for what the Bears need. He can come in and compete with Bush to see if he is healthy and would provide some physical play and leadership to the secondary. He also does not impact the comp pick formula.

L7L5EF2AA5DYVDB3VJS23TOLUE.jpg

Draft [3.5 million spent]

2[43] TE Cole Kmet [Notre Dame] 6'6" 262lbs, 4.7 [40], 37" vert, 10'3" broad, 7.44 [3 cone]

If the Bears free agency goes to hell or there is no new CBA they are going to need to address major needs in the draft to fill long term needs. TE is one of the weakest positions on the team and they will need someone who can contribute as soon as possible and to hope that Burton is healthy enough to give them something. Kmet is the Y TE that they are missing, he is big, fast, and productive. I would like to see him improve his 3 cone, but it was reported that he slipped so it might not be as bad as it looked. Kmet is a big reliable target with enough burst to make him dangerous after the catch. He provides the Bears with a TE that can block and catch, as Shaheen can do neither.

GettyImages-1191137983-e1578001081478.jpg

2[50] OG Lloyd Cushenberry [LSU] 6'3" 312lbs, 34" arms, 5.27 [40], 25 reps

The Bears need a starting RG. Wisniewski is better than Coward and Long, but he is not a long term answer at the position and he is not going to be part of moving the line from bad to good, he is more of a bad to average player. The Bears need to add someone who can become part of the future on the line. Cushenberry, who played C, is a really athletic interior lineman who has almost freaky ability to get low and recover when he is in a bad position. He should come in and compete to start immediately and give the Bears an athletic interior for the next 3-4 years.

9433306.jpg

4[144] OLB D.J Wonnum [South Carolina] 6'5" 258lbs, 34" arms, 4.77 [40], 20 reps, 34.5" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need a #3 OLB and a 2nd round pick seems rich when you need starters at other spots. Wonnum has a ton of physical tools. He is tall, long, reasonably explosive and has more power than Floyd. He should be able to add something as a dedicated pass rusher as he learns the defense. He gives the Bears a better athlete than they have had at the #3 OLB spot recently.

6_7675600.jpg

5[163] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54, 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bears need to add some young and cheap depth to the S position and Reed can play FS or SS, can contribute on special teams, and has the physical tools to be an NFL starter. He also fulfills Pace's Georgia fetish.

9441366.jpg

6[196] WR Joe Reed [Virginia] 6' 224lbs, 4.47, 21 reps, 38" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need to generate more YAC yards and they need to be more physical in the WR core on screens and short passes. Reed is an explosive athlete and is built like a RB. He can be developed as a run after the catch threat and someone who can be dangerous on short passes. At a minimum he should have a role on special teams and get Anthony Miller off of specials for ever.

9416439.jpg

6[200] OT Yasir Durant [Missouri] 6'6" 331lbs, 34" arms, 5.52 [40], 21 reps, 25" vert

If the Bears cannot add quality on the OL they need to add quantity and give themselves options at different spots. Durant played LT in college, is probably a RT in the pros, but he gives the Bears a big developmental prospect that can be turned to if Massie doesn't show up again. The Bears appear to be going bigger on the line with Juan Castillo and Durant fits that mold.

images

7[226] OLB James Smith-Williams [NC State] 6'3" 268lbs, 33 3/4" arms, 4.6 [40], 28 reps, 32" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need to add multiple young cheap pass rushers and hope they get something out of one of them in the 2020 season and long term they can be cheap rotational depth. Smith-Williams is a raw, well built, and athletic pass rusher who has physical tools, but very little in the way of refinement. He can work as a deep backup and on special teams while they try and coach up the technique and pass rush moves.

_big_WM%20at%20State%209-1-16___A001-37909.jpg

7[233] RB Patrick Taylor [Memphis] 6'1" 217lbs, 4.57 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need someone who can do some of the grinding at RB so that Montgomery stays fresh. Cohen cannot do it, pretty much every hand off to him was a waste of time. The Bears need someone with the size and juice to handle short yardage and grind out late games leads. Taylor has the size, power, and enough juice to be that guy. Memphis has been producing NFL RBs lately and the Bears can dip into a deep talent pool at the school.

21f36c3d-c8a8-4de8-af89-d6777d9a8f16-_W_27409.JPG

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Keenum
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Taylor, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Reed, Wims, Patterson
TE: Kmet, Burton, Harris, Bell, Horsted
LT: Leno/Sharpe
LG: Daniels/Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Wisniewski/Cushenberry
RT: Massie, Durant

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Floyd, Wonnum
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevatham, KPL, Woods
OLB: Mack, Sheard, Smith-Williams
CB: Fuller, Tolliver/Roberson, Skrine, Robinson Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC/Reed
SS: Bush/Jefferson

Mattracer82

Liked Posts:
Do you suppose bears are waiting for cuts/extensions (Floyd, Robinson) until this deal is done or not done?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you suppose bears are waiting for cuts/extensions (Floyd, Robinson) until this deal is done or not done?

I think they need the 30% rule to disappear with a new CBA and a big cap increase in 2021 to work with.

I have no idea what they are going to do with Floyd.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I want us to get T.Jefferson so bad but have a feeling he's gonna end up back with B.Arians who he played for in Arizona. The Bucs need secondary help pretty badly and think he'll most likely get more than $4 mil. Wasn't he gonna get like $11 mil or something close to that if Balt kept him for next year? I know he's coming off an injury but if he's cleared i gotta think someone like Tampa will offer him more than $4 for one year but if we could get him for that or even $5 mil he would be a great piece for our secondary and is a great leader for a defense as well.

I'd also rather get JPP on a 1 year deal over Sheard but wouldn't complain with getting Sheard.

I'm good with Keenum and think he's getting underrated by many.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Chicago Chief Raiders

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think they need the 30% rule to disappear with a new CBA and a big cap increase in 2021 to work with.

sounds more likely that floyd will be cut, doesnt seem like he'd be amenable to a multi year deal since this would likely be his only big payday

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Under your scenario, I'd sign QB Jordan T'Aamu from the XFL's St.Louis Battlehawks.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Do you have any specifics on how the new CBA would effect the cap in 2020? It would seem it would have to bump it somewhat, with a higher player minimum. If I understand it correctly, they would then get another bump when the expanded the season to 17 games.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Do you have any specifics on how the new CBA would effect the cap in 2020? It would seem it would have to bump it somewhat, with a higher player minimum. If I understand it correctly, they would then get another bump when the expanded the season to 17 games.
The main issue with needing the new cba for cash strapped teams is how you structure the contract. The cap going up just means new contracts also go up by the same percentage so there really isn’t much relief in that aspect of it imo

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No WR until the 6th? If you sign wisnewski to be a bandaid I would for sure go WR in the second in a loaded draft. Makes much more sense than to go OG there since you have wisnewski who is an upgrade over anyone the bears had at RG last year and would start.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The main issue with needing the new cba for cash strapped teams is how you structure the contract. The cap going up just means new contracts also go up by the same percentage so there really isn’t much relief in that aspect of it imo
I have been aware of the 30% rule for sometime and I understand that (kept harping to windy that his early offseason projections weren't taking it into account). But I was curious if the new CBA would add any additional money to the cap.

On the flip side of that coin, if the new CBA is signed, excising the 5th year option on Trubs is no longer an option as he would become fully guaranteed, whereas with the new CBA you could exercise the option only having it guaranteed towards injury.

So, if he were to have a breakout year (if the CBA is signed) you now have to franchise him next year.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Bro he isn’t breaking out of shit lol best we can hope for is play to the little strengths he has and solidify and use the running game

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bro he isn’t breaking out of shit lol best we can hope for is play to the little strengths he has and solidify and use the running game

LOL, I don't disagree, but with no legit QB this season, isn't better to tank knowing you will be in the same boat next season?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
LOL, I don't disagree, but with no legit QB this season, isn't better to tank knowing you will be in the same boat next season?
I don’t believe in tanking and bears modern history shows it doesn’t help shit

you can win with a shitty qb for example titans and 49ers last year. Question is can coach and gm get things done to get to at least their level

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I don’t believe in tanking and bears modern history shows it doesn’t help shit

you can win with a shitty qb for example titans and 49ers last year. Question is can coach and gm get things done to get to at least their level

No way do the Bears transform their last place run game from last year into the 49ers or the titans lmao

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Big fan of this as a "realistic" offseason mock. One change I would make would probably be to go WR with the #43 pick instead of TE. Rookie TEs have a notoriously difficult time catching up to the NFL level, and there's a fair amount of younger talent in the 2021 TE lass that might actually hit FA. Maybe a better scenario for the Bears is to draft speed with size at WR and then go after one of Engram, Njoku, or Howard with Burton's money (he can be cut to clear 7M+ in cap space). overall though, really like this as a "Most of the bigproblems on the team have to wait until 2021 to realistically replace" mock.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I feel it would be a better use of money/picks to use that 7Mil combined on Wisnewski, Sharpe and Bell (don't need another 3rd/4th TE type) to get a real starting RG. Then use that 2nd round pick on a tackle instead of Cushenberry.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No WR until the 6th? If you sign wisnewski to be a bandaid I would for sure go WR in the second in a loaded draft. Makes much more sense than to go OG there since you have wisnewski who is an upgrade over anyone the bears had at RG last year and would start.

If it’s loaded then doesn’t it make more sense to wait on a WR? Not to mention I don’t see WR as much of a need for the bears

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If it’s loaded then doesn’t it make more sense to wait on a WR? Not to mention I don’t see WR as much of a need for the bears

Lol waiting until the 6th round basically negates it being a loaded class. Why not get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round? Makes sense to me.

Bears have Allen Robinson and that’s about it. Miller has shown flashes but is anyone confident he’s going to be more than just a guy? I’m not. Hands aren’t great, let’s his emotions get the best of him and is already what, 24? Bears need speed and definitely need another play maker.

Makes way more sense than signing wisnewski and then drafting another OG in the 2nd round. One of them won’t even start. Bears need as many impact starters as possible. They’re not in a position to spend free agent money on a capable starter and then draft another player at the same position in the 2nd round just for one of them to sit.

Last edited: