Draft Thoughts Post Free Agency Wave 1 and 2

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lets say the Bears are able to trade down and they end up with these picks, what would you do?

More positions than players.

2[43]

2[60]

3[106]

5[163]

5[170]

6[196]

6[202]

7[226]

7[233]

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Nice to see that the trades got us a 3rd rounder ... Sweet spot for a G or TE (we still need a young one).

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Part of me just wants to go balls to the wall defense:

2[43] LB

2[60] CB

3[106] S

5[163] DE

5[170] DE

6[196] LB

6[202] LB

7[226] DE

7[233] DE

Win 13 games with a score of 7-3, and then let Foles take over in the playoffs.

Pace/Nagy can thank me later.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Are there 2 5th rounders? I'm only seeing 1 5th on the draft orders.

@WindyCity

Last edited:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Based on the news that the Bears have been trying to trade Mitch the past weeks, I expect Jalen Hurts to be a Bear if he is available with our 2nd round picks.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
This happens to be a very deep draft in some key areas that the Bears need to address, more specifically OL, WR and TE. With 2 Second Round picks, If I was picking I would absolutely go OL x 2. You win in the trenches, period. Outside of Whitehair, our oline is abysmal. I would take the top 2 o-linemen on the board, regardless of their presumed position because of Whitehair's versatility on the interior. Having a Quality o-line helps cover up deficiencies in other areas, potentially more so. Who cares if you have elite WR's if you can't give the QB 3 seconds to throw the ball or an elite RB if the online cannot open any holes.

There are some quality skill position players that were criminally underutilized in college, that will be available in the 4/5/6 rounds (DPJ and McKeon from Michigan, Asiasi from UCLA as examples). We have a legitimate #1 in Arob and Miller has shown improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 to be a solid #2, but they need consistency from the QB and Online to really be successful. Improve the Online (and a potential move to Foles who is much more accurate than Mitch) and I bet that Miller and ARob's #'s go up. So in that context, then we are really looking for a #3 receiver...you don't spend a 2nd Round pick on a #3 reciever.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Based on the news that the Bears have been trying to trade Mitch the past weeks, I expect Jalen Hurts to be a Bear if he is available with our 2nd round picks.

This wouldn't surprise me. Its clear Mitch has zero respect amongst his peers

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I also am predicting a QB in the 2nd. I said it in another thread, both Foles and Trubs can go away if they don’t perform this season with minimal cap implications.

Fromm gets a lot of hate on this board, but I think he’d execute this offense really well. Extremely smart at presnap adjustments and analyzing coverages. Wouldn’t mind Hurts, either.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This wouldn't surprise me. Its clear Mitch has zero respect amongst his peers

Will Hurts be able to get better at reading defenses, processing quickly, and going thru progressions? The work ethic is there. I was super impressed with how he spun it at the combine. Didn't think his arm was that good just watching him at Bama and Oklahoma.

What do you think?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I’d be very happy with jalen hurts in the 2nd. Gets to sit and learn behind Foles and be developed by Flip. Would love it.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Will Hurts be able to get better at reading defenses, processing quickly, and going thru progressions? The work ethic is there. I was super impressed with how he spun it at the combine. Didn't think his arm was that good just watching him at Bama and Oklahoma.

What do you think?

He was awful at Alabama when they went up against good defenses, see the Georgia title game and Clemson game the year before. Didn't watch much of him while at Oklahoma but maybe Lincoln Riley got something to click. He was terrible against LSU as well but they were never going to compete in that game

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
No way the Bears draft a QB right now. They are going to see what they have with Foles and Trubs this season.

I think there will be a temptation at WR with the 43rd overall considering the depth. It isn't a high need, but there could just be too much value there to pass on someone dynamic. 43rd could also be the pick they trade down on for a team wanting to move up for a WR.

I think we are going to see one of the first two selections be an interior lineman just based on need. I think we have shot our wad in free agency and any RG we get in FA will be servicable, but certainly upgradeable. Pace does seem to have a knack for 2nd round lineman.

CB early will also be a possibility. Just because there is need and skill positions players don't last into the later rounds.

In the mid to later rounds, you will definitely see a TE prospect that is probably one dimensional, as well as a developmental OT to hopefully take over for Massie or Leno sooner than later, and probably a SS that could possibly start soon.

Late late, probably a 3rd running back, interior OL, and maybe a DL or DB they love.

Filling the Edge with Quinn was a huge move that gave us a ton of flexibility in the draft.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am surprised anybody is thinking QB early after the Foles trade. They perhaps still want to evaluate Mitch, have Foles as insurance, and want to win now. None of that equals a 2nd round quarterback.

We got Foles so we can let Mitch go next year if he doesn't perform, and presumably draft a QB next season when we have all our picks back. You guys want to try and find a franchise QB in the middle of the 2nd? You should know by now its hard enough to find one in the 1st round.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Was hoping Bears could take care of RG and #3 OLB in FA, so they could grab an OT and a burner WR with their 2 2nds. - something like Niang & Wims as a dream scenario. I don't think you can justify taking those over iOL and OLB now though.

Still like Wims as a burner in the trade scenario with the 3rd round pick, so I currently go BPA between iOL and OLB with the 2 2nds, speedy WR with the 3rd, BPA between OT and S with the 5ths, true BPA with the rest.