Post Free Agency Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2[43] OG Lloyd Cushenberry [LSU] 6'3" 312lbs, 34" arms, 5.27, 25 reps

The Bears desperately need a starting RG that comes out of the box ready to play as the offseason is going to be shortened. Cushenberry has 28 college starts in the toughest division of college football and should be able to step in and start early as a rookie. Cushenberry has mostly played C, but by moving to RG you take a lot of pre snap stuff off his plate and should make his job easier. The Bears also need to get more athletic on the OL as the struggled to get to the 2nd level in the run game and they were a horrendous screen team. Cushenberry has the physical tools to be a dominant interior player and should give the Bears a massive talent boost on the OL.

9433306.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] [400] to the Seattle Seahawks for 2[64], 3[101], 4[144] [400]. The Bears desperately need to add picks and depth at key positions. They need long term options at a bunch of positions that require better than pick 163.

2[64] OT Matt Peart [UConn] 6'7" 318lbs, 36.5" arms, 5.06 [40], 26 reps, 30" vert

The Bears OTs are over paid and were massively disappointing in 2019 and they need to get some competition and someone who can replace one of them in 2021 when the Bears can save significant money by cutting either Leno or Massie. Peart is a raw prospect, but he has incredible physical tools and experience at both OT spots. He comes in and develops and when he is ready, or if Leno and Massie struggle he takes over. Peart has the athleticism that Massie lacks and the size that Leno lacks.

3[101] QB James Morgan [Florida International] 6'4" 229lbs.

The Bears should take a developmental QB if they are able to trade down and add more picks. Morgan has been one they have been linked to and he is an intriguing player. He has protoype size and arm strength, has experience in the spread [Bowling Green] and in a more pro style offense [Florida International]. This gives the Bears a potential backup to Foles in 2021, or someone to compete for the job if Foles and 10 are being replaced after this season. Morgan has just steadily rose in the draft and the Bears may have to pounce before day 3. Morgan gets a full year with Nagy, Lazor and Flip to develop so the Bears have something for 2021.

8671498.jpg

4[144] TE Stephen Sullivan [LSU] 6'5" 248lbs, 4.66 [40], 36.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Graham and Burton are not going to be on the roster after 2020, they are not good enough and they would save the Bears a ton. Sullivan is a super raw converted WR, but he has all the physical tools and profile the Bears need at the TE spot. He flashed at the Senior Bowl and has a ton of tools to work with. The Bears can bring him along slowly in 2020 and have a legitimate option in 2021 to challenge for the #1 role. In 2020 he provides depth and someone who can be used situationally until he is ready.

images

5[163] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg

6[196] OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 257lbs, 4.95 [40], 32" vert

The Bears need to add some young cheap pass rush depth and while early picks have gone to offense that can add a developmental player right here. Based on usage in the last couple of seasons the #3 OLB plays about 20% of the snaps, so there is not a lot of work to go around for #4 and #5. Coleman will have a role on special teams as he develops as a rusher. Coleman is not a speed rusher, he is a powerful and heavy handed rusher who at a minimum should be a presence in the run game.

Kendall+Coleman+Central+Connecticut+State+zduEDnfOsHcl.jpg

6[202] WR Joe Reed [Virginia] 6' 224lbs, 4.47 [40], 21 reps, 38" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need to add more run after the catch ability and Reed is built like a RB and runs like it once the ball is in his hands. He has good speed for his weight and great power and explosive numbers. IN 2018 he averaged 18 yards per catch, although that was way down to 9 this season as they went with more of a running QB attack. Reed can also return kicks and averaged 33 yards per return this season, which means we should never see Anthony Miller on special teams again.

9518135.jpg

7[226] RB Patrick Taylor [Memphis] 6'1" 217lbs, 4.57 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need a cheap backup RB with some size that can handle some of the heavy carries for Montgomery, step in if he is hurt, and contribute on special teams. Taylor has good size, has some gas, and he can catch the ball. His usage fell this season as did his numbers, so perhaps the Bears can get a value here.

21f36c3d-c8a8-4de8-af89-d6777d9a8f16-_W_27409.JPG

7[233] LB Kamal Martin [Minnesota] 6'3" 240lbs.

The Bears lost their backup ILBs and they still have some intriguing guys on the roster, but they should add someone who can fill a special teams role, while Woods or Iggy move into the primary backup role. Martin is a big, well built, thumper, who should immediately step in and be a force on special teams. He may even bring some early value on defense as a short yardage LB. Reminds me a lot of Christian Jones.

AAIKZyz.img

Depth Chart

QB: Foles, Trubisky, Morgan
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Taylor, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Patterson, Reed
TE: Graham, Burton, Sullivan, Harris, Horsted
LT: Leno, Peart
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Cushenberry, Coward
RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, Harris
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Mingo
ILB: Smith, Woods
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Martin
OLB: Mack, Coleman, Irving
CB: Fuller, Toliver, Skrine, Roberson, Burns, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Bush/Lucas/Reed

K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This is ambitious. Would be very good imo.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
That trade would be great. We desperately need to recoup some picks, and being able to still come away with two 2’s would be huge.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I would love this. Get two offensive linemen, some additional picks, a young QB to develop.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Like the Mock.

I would swap a CB with that 2nd or 3rd selection though. I think the Bears want to add talent at that position.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
One of our second round picks must be used on a starting OLman. I don't care who gets moved to the bench (even though RG is our weakest link, everybody on the line disappointed last year). I am flexible with our other second rounder; it's not like we couldn't find a good upgrade another position and be more competitive coming out of the gate.

Other than that comment, I'd say that that is a fine haul, and I'd be excited for it. Nothing like a new backup QB with potential for a bears off-season! How long until we hear chants for Morgan in Soldier Field?

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Too high for Morgan. I can also infer from this draft that your confidence in Ridley, Patterson and Wims as the 3rd WR is VERY high to wait that long to address the position. I don't think we need to add another TE, we have about 9 or 10 already.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would take a WR in 2nd. And dont think we take a QB that high unless we teade Trubs. 3rd string rookie QBs dont develop as much running scout team. I would take an OL prospect where you habe Reed going.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm a fan but also don't see Morgan going that high. Not that crazy about the 1st pick, I take BPA at need or positional value there and that wouldn't be Cushenberry. I also expect Pace to accumulate some extra picks.

Last edited:

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Two of the first three picks are backups. Bears have glaring holes CB2, SS, RB, WR3.

Also no way does Pace take a QB this year. Mitch is still on the roster and with Pace all on in for 2020 a rookie QB doesn’t help him keep his job past this year.

If Pace keeps his job after this season he can take a QB next year with better job security or the new GM can draft his QB unencumbred without a fairly high QB pick already on the roster.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you want to swap out the QB I would add

3[101] WR Gabriel Davis [UCF] 6'2" 216lbs, 4.54, 14 reps, 35" vert, 10'4" broad

Davis isn't the super burner I would prefer, but he is a big 18 yard per catch guy who makes plays down field has the size and explosive numbers that could add an element to the outside WR group.

9454978.jpg

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
2[43] OG Lloyd Cushenberry [LSU] 6'3" 312lbs, 34" arms, 5.27, 25 reps

The Bears desperately need a starting RG that comes out of the box ready to play as the offseason is going to be shortened. Cushenberry has 28 college starts in the toughest division of college football and should be able to step in and start early as a rookie. Cushenberry has mostly played C, but by moving to RG you take a lot of pre snap stuff off his plate and should make his job easier. The Bears also need to get more athletic on the OL as the struggled to get to the 2nd level in the run game and they were a horrendous screen team. Cushenberry has the physical tools to be a dominant interior player and should give the Bears a massive talent boost on the OL.

9433306.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] [400] to the Seattle Seahawks for 2[64], 3[101], 4[144] [400]. The Bears desperately need to add picks and depth at key positions. They need long term options at a bunch of positions that require better than pick 163.

2[64] OT Matt Peart [UConn] 6'7" 318lbs, 36.5" arms, 5.06 [40], 26 reps, 30" vert

The Bears OTs are over paid and were massively disappointing in 2019 and they need to get some competition and someone who can replace one of them in 2021 when the Bears can save significant money by cutting either Leno or Massie. Peart is a raw prospect, but he has incredible physical tools and experience at both OT spots. He comes in and develops and when he is ready, or if Leno and Massie struggle he takes over. Peart has the athleticism that Massie lacks and the size that Leno lacks.

3[101] QB James Morgan [Florida International] 6'4" 229lbs.

The Bears should take a developmental QB if they are able to trade down and add more picks. Morgan has been one they have been linked to and he is an intriguing player. He has protoype size and arm strength, has experience in the spread [Bowling Green] and in a more pro style offense [Florida International]. This gives the Bears a potential backup to Foles in 2021, or someone to compete for the job if Foles and 10 are being replaced after this season. Morgan has just steadily rose in the draft and the Bears may have to pounce before day 3. Morgan gets a full year with Nagy, Lazor and Flip to develop so the Bears have something for 2021.

8671498.jpg

4[144] TE Stephen Sullivan [LSU] 6'5" 248lbs, 4.66 [40], 36.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Graham and Burton are not going to be on the roster after 2020, they are not good enough and they would save the Bears a ton. Sullivan is a super raw converted WR, but he has all the physical tools and profile the Bears need at the TE spot. He flashed at the Senior Bowl and has a ton of tools to work with. The Bears can bring him along slowly in 2020 and have a legitimate option in 2021 to challenge for the #1 role. In 2020 he provides depth and someone who can be used situationally until he is ready.

images

5[163] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg

6[196] OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 257lbs, 4.95 [40], 32" vert

The Bears need to add some young cheap pass rush depth and while early picks have gone to offense that can add a developmental player right here. Based on usage in the last couple of seasons the #3 OLB plays about 20% of the snaps, so there is not a lot of work to go around for #4 and #5. Coleman will have a role on special teams as he develops as a rusher. Coleman is not a speed rusher, he is a powerful and heavy handed rusher who at a minimum should be a presence in the run game.

Kendall+Coleman+Central+Connecticut+State+zduEDnfOsHcl.jpg

6[202] WR Joe Reed [Virginia] 6' 224lbs, 4.47 [40], 21 reps, 38" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need to add more run after the catch ability and Reed is built like a RB and runs like it once the ball is in his hands. He has good speed for his weight and great power and explosive numbers. IN 2018 he averaged 18 yards per catch, although that was way down to 9 this season as they went with more of a running QB attack. Reed can also return kicks and averaged 33 yards per return this season, which means we should never see Anthony Miller on special teams again.

9518135.jpg

7[226] RB Patrick Taylor [Memphis] 6'1" 217lbs, 4.57 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need a cheap backup RB with some size that can handle some of the heavy carries for Montgomery, step in if he is hurt, and contribute on special teams. Taylor has good size, has some gas, and he can catch the ball. His usage fell this season as did his numbers, so perhaps the Bears can get a value here.

21f36c3d-c8a8-4de8-af89-d6777d9a8f16-_W_27409.JPG

7[233] LB Kamal Martin [Minnesota] 6'3" 240lbs.

The Bears lost their backup ILBs and they still have some intriguing guys on the roster, but they should add someone who can fill a special teams role, while Woods or Iggy move into the primary backup role. Martin is a big, well built, thumper, who should immediately step in and be a force on special teams. He may even bring some early value on defense as a short yardage LB. Reminds me a lot of Christian Jones.

AAIKZyz.img

Depth Chart

QB: Foles, Trubisky, Morgan
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Taylor, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Patterson, Reed
TE: Graham, Burton, Sullivan, Harris, Horsted
LT: Leno, Peart
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Cushenberry, Coward
RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, Harris
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Mingo
ILB: Smith, Woods
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Martin
OLB: Mack, Coleman, Irving
CB: Fuller, Toliver, Skrine, Roberson, Burns, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Bush/Lucas/Reed

K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

YES PLEASE !!!
Now, why would Seattle trade up? Any insider info ?
And tks, excellent post.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That trade is like a best possible trade we could hope for and don't see us getting a 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders for the #50 pick but it sure would be nice. I like Morgan but not in the 3rd round and would rather go WR or Edge with that 3rd round pick and don't think K.Coleman lasts until the 6th round but would be a great pick if he does. Maybe that's just my Syracuse fandom but think he'll go a little higher.

msadows

Liked Posts:
YES PLEASE !!!
Now, why would Seattle trade up? Any insider info ?
And tks, excellent post.

No, Windy just thinks seattle will like some player enough to make a Ryan Pace trade.

msadows

Liked Posts:
That trade is like a best possible trade we could hope for and don't see us getting a 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders for the #50 pick but it sure would be nice. I like Morgan but not in the 3rd round and would rather go WR or Edge with that 3rd round pick and don't think K.Coleman lasts until the 6th round but would be a great pick if he does. Maybe that's just my Syracuse fandom but think he'll go a little higher.

Yup, if it happens cool, but its much more likely we trade our 2nd for a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yup, if it happens cool, but its much more likely we trade our 2nd for a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th.

How great would it be to only move down 14 spots in a very deep draft at multiple positions we have a need at while picking up a 3rd and a 4th to go with the #64 pick?

I'd be happy with getting a later 2nd and a 3rd but another pick would need to be added to a 2nd and a 4th for me unless we're only moving down a couple spots.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't the Bears trade their 4th for Foles?