Jimmy Graham

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OK so I've heard dozens of times now that Jimmy Graham is on the downside of his career, he can't run, and he should retire. No one will deny that the Bears aren't getting the 2013 version of Jimmy Graham. He IS older. He ISN'T the player he once was.

BUT:

He was a top 10 TE in yards two years ago. 18th last year.
His average yards per catch of 11.8 last year was better than: Ertz, Hooper and Olsen and not far behind Kelce and Kittle. He can still run, just not 2013 style.
He was targeted only 60 times last year. (the lowest since his rookie year) That's part of the reason for the lower yards output.
He had 7 catches for over 20 yards. One of 17 TE's in the league.

So my point being.... Graham CAN still play. He's not going to the pro bowl. He IS going to provide a solid vet option for this offense. Coming off the fuck show that was last year I'll take it.

Watch the highlights video below. (sorry, all I have) These are all from the last two years. Even an old JG can still run laps around what we had last year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
People are bringing up his average yards per catch while totally ignoring that he had a career low in receiving yards.

Hey, I hope he pleasantly surprises. What’s done is done. But I’m not holding my breath.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was not a fan of this signing. A lot of it for me was processing the contract $s and what we could have done with that money. But watching Graham's highlights, I'm starting to visualize what was missing last year and what he could add as a reliable, chain moving target. I think the $9M / year is a reflection of that value.

Mitch was so much more of a threat in 2018 when we had a TE running routes over the middle. It opened up explosive plays for Cohen. It made it hard for teams to spy the QB consistently. Without TE production, we became so one dimensional playing pitch and catch with Arob.

Thanks for this. Makes me feel a little better about FA.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People are bringing up his average yards per catch while totally ignoring that he had a career low in receiving yards.

Hey, I hope he pleasantly surprises. What’s done is done. But I’m not holding my breath.

I already mentioned this. He first of all didn’t have a career low in yards. That was his rookie year. He had his second lowest yards and not coincidentally he had his second lowest number of targets. Obviously the targets go down and the yards go down too. I wish people would quit being lazy and saying "well the yards were low, he must be done." Watch him play. Does he look done? Or does he look like someone that can help this team?

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
cheap stopgap. perhaps Burton can apply burn cream to his twazz and be a man again, get through 2020, then you can get a better one later. in the draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
stop stealing my fuckin shit dude

msadows

Liked Posts:

The last two years combined he was top 10 in both yardage/catches.

This is to be combined with the fact rodgers has proven not to effectively use TE's.

The signing is a good one. People will change their opinions by a couple games in. He's got 6 mill against the cap this year. Thats about how much you'd expect for him (5-6m).

Like I've said before, the only other option was Ebron, and they obviously didn't want to pick up injured players at that position. Other than Ebron it was 1) Reed, 2) Delaine Walker 3) Jason Witten

I'm good on those 3.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Rodgers has never been a big tight end guy, think the last time one was a major part of the offense was Jermichael Finley? The big thing I think is just that he's clearly in decline, and while he was still okay last year, it's valid to question if he will continue to decline. If he can stay at where he is, it's not a bad move, but the end comes quick for skill players.

I'll hope for the best, but I'm still hoping they can get a long term answer in the draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Rodgers has never been a big tight end guy, think the last time one was a major part of the offense was Jermichael Finley? The big thing I think is just that he's clearly in decline, and while he was still okay last year, it's valid to question if he will continue to decline. If he can stay at where he is, it's not a bad move, but the end comes quick for skill players.

I'll hope for the best, but I'm still hoping they can get a long term answer in the draft.

My guess for paces/nagy's vision with this move is to play Jimmy G inline more and Burton flexed. Still allows Miller to play the slot next to Arob.

bison_all22.png

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I already mentioned this. He first of all didn’t have a career low in yards. That was his rookie year. He had his second lowest yards and not coincidentally he had his second lowest number of targets. Obviously the targets go down and the yards go down too. I wish people would quit being lazy and saying "well the yards were low, he must be done." Watch him play. Does he look done? Or does he look like someone that can help this team?
During Aaron Rodgers entire career as a starter, since 2008, the Packers don't have a top 100 TE in receptions, J Finely is 102nd with 61 receptions, 6 receptions ahead of Graham. Rodgers is not a big TE guy for whatever reason. Graham is past his prime , but nothing as bad as what the Bears trotted out there last season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OK so I've heard dozens of times now that Jimmy Graham is on the downside of his career, he can't run, and he should retire. No one will deny that the Bears aren't getting the 2013 version of Jimmy Graham. He IS older. He ISN'T the player he once was.

BUT:

He was a top 10 TE in yards two years ago. 18th last year.
His average yards per catch of 11.8 last year was better than: Ertz, Hooper and Olsen and not far behind Kelce and Kittle. He can still run, just not 2013 style.
He was targeted only 60 times last year. (the lowest since his rookie year) That's part of the reason for the lower yards output.
He had 7 catches for over 20 yards. One of 17 TE's in the league.

So my point being.... Graham CAN still play. He's not going to the pro bowl. He IS going to provide a solid vet option for this offense. Coming off the fuck show that was last year I'll take it.

Watch the highlights video below. (sorry, all I have) These are all from the last two years. Even an old JG can still run laps around what we had last year.

He will look like a Pro Bowler compared to the lames asses they threw out there last year. I don't think anyone will argue that....it would just be nice to get someone that careerwise, was on the way up instead of on the way down.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He will look like a Pro Bowler compared to the lames asses they threw out there last year. I don't think anyone will argue that....it would just be nice to get someone that careerwise, was on the way up instead of on the way down.

Thats the thing tho....that guy wasn't out there outside of Hooper. We tried at hooper, we failed. There was no one else out there. All the young or talented guys re-signed with their current squads or got franchised.

Not getting hooper probably netted us quinn tho, you have to factor that in as well.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Like I don't get the hate for Jimmy G.

Who the fuck else was there? lmfao. Dudes are acting like we had this massive choice of talented TE's to choose from. The TE position in the NFL is one that severely lacks talent.

Money was the only gripe I had and then when I found out its only a 6m cap hit this year I didn't mind.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
He was a very good tight end due to his physical traits and now he will help due to being in the right spots at right times and well planned plays specifically for him in red zone.

that being said, his legs look gone. Watching the video shows this, it’s obvious. He still has this year left in the tank for about 350 to 500 yards.

pace most certainly overpaid for him but he needed something to put out there. I personally think that Harris will probably out up numbers close to graham if Burton doesn’t okay.

the bears would be interesting if burton and graham were both healthy and could play at same time. Foles will put up much better numbers with the tight ends so starting qb will make a big difference in their production.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thats the thing tho....that guy wasn't out there outside of Hooper. We tried at hooper, we failed. There was no one else out there. All the young or talented guys re-signed with their current squads or got franchised.

Not getting hooper probably netted us quinn tho, you have to factor that in as well.

Yep, but I was thinking more about the draft.....I really like Kmet from ND. They would've have to get creative as I don't think he'll drop to them. He could be a solution where Graham is only a patch.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yep, but I was thinking more about the draft.....I really like Kmet from ND. They would've have to get creative as I don't think he'll drop to them. He could be a solution where Graham is only a patch.

There is no reason they can't draft a tight end in this draft just because of Jimmy Graham. Shaheen is as good as gone, Burton they probably assume is healthy but his contract can be gotten out of after this season. Horsted and Holtz havent shown they can be anything more than depth.

Who the fuck knows, they could still take a TE in the 2nd round. This offense HEAVILY uses the TE and we had not a single one last season.

The issue with just depending on a rookie TE is that they rarely contribute heavily in the passing game. We needed help now, not in 2021 or 2022.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He was a very good tight end due to his physical traits and now he will help due to being in the right spots at right times and well planned plays specifically for him in red zone.

that being said, his legs look gone. Watching the video shows this, it’s obvious. He still has this year left in the tank for about 350 to 500 yards.

pace most certainly overpaid for him but he needed something to put out there. I personally think that Harris will probably out up numbers close to graham if Burton doesn’t okay.

the bears would be interesting if burton and graham were both healthy and could play at same time. Foles will put up much better numbers with the tight ends so starting qb will make a big difference in their production.

His legs look gone? This is the shit I don’t get. Totally disagree.