Is this a SB winning team??

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I understand that this might be a little to early because of the draft, but with limited draft capital, it’s a reality.

The defense should be outstanding, minus the inevitable injury and age related decline.

Offense will not be a top 10. The crew will not jump from one of the worst to one of the best in one year with very little addition.

Oline is still a liability. This is my worst fear, the Oline is the foundation for a succesful team.

Special teams haven’t changed much but we know the kicker. Is he someone that can deliver when it matters? He was 1-1 when the game mattered last year. The kicker situation is still a question mark entering the 2nd season since the Double Doink.

Coaching, on paper, looks improved in relation to the current talent on the roster. Nagy’s improvement on using the rosters talent when calling plays is one of the most important steps in 2020. Nagy has 20 wins as a NFL HC but I only count 3 quality wins.

Schedule looks favorable in the terms that they don’t play NO on turf, TB not in the heat, or the Texans in Houston. The rest is TBT when its released.

Is this team even a SB contender?

Last edited:

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
No, offense sucks and defense is overrated. I see another identity crisis for the offense and a collapsing of the defense due to over stress - another 8-8 or possibly sub .500.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the offense was pretty good in 2018, the drop off losing the likes of Burton, Howard, and Long for 2019 makes it probably look way worse than it really is (hoping). the playcalling in 2019 vs. 2018 seemed uninspired too, but I still consider that a chicken or egg argument, was it the loss of good personnel or limited to playcalling?

I was never sold on the defense being world beaters, even with the turnover count in 2018. I'll say they're still an efficient unit under Pagano, they're not giving the house away, but they need to produce some fumbles and interceptions again.

2018 were very good at controlling TOP, 2019 lost that, and that's probably what it comes down to how they lost a lot of easily winnable games.

I hope the additions result in positive change, on paper it looks like it, but we'll have to see the execution. they're teetering on being where they were Trestman/early Fox with the guys getting old again. weren't they like one of the youngest teams not too long ago?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No.
SB Defense? Yes
SB Offense? Fuck no
SB Coach? Lol

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Team will go as far as the QB takes them

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think this team is ever making it to the Super Bowl again. lifetime. unless the McCaskeys sell it and they start taking it seriously from the top on down rather than making money.
May as well just pick a new team to follow then cause they arent gonna ever sell it.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
just some gatekeepers...

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
If we support Trubisky with a run game, TE and some average blocking then we have a chance at a SB. The offense and coaching last year may have been the worst I ever seen and we still almost made the playoffs. If we get this offense into the top 20 we have a chance. I don't believe this offense is as bad as it looked last year. The coaches really did not have this offense ready or prepared. I blame last year on the coaching more then the players.

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I saw that some believe that Nagy is not a Superbowl coach, I disagree. Now I'm not stating that he is, I'm just saying that he is 41 and growing. He did call good plays in 2018 and I believe made our offense better then it really was but like most young head couches, he is gonna go threw struggles. I don't think it will be on the bears but I would bet that he will coach a team to a Superbowl.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No way this is an 8-8 team. Not with a 17 game schedule at least :). I guess that kicks-in next year?

I still maintain that this isn't an 8-8 team. Subject to change, but for now I'm going to say 7-9.

mecha

Liked Posts:
No way this is an 8-8 team. Not with a 17 game schedule at least :). I guess that kicks-in next year?

I still maintain that this isn't an 8-8 team. Subject to change, but for now I'm going to say 7-9.

the amount of 7-9 and 8-8 seasons this team has pulled down since 2006 seems limitless. literal mediocrity.