17 day upcoming run

CSF77

Liked Posts:
18th and the 19th are already listed. Theo has said that he wants Alzolay in and has hinted at a 6 man rotation.

Here is one that I came up with. Runs until the ASG.

17th off
18th Hamels Sox
19th Lester Sox
20th Darvish Mets
21st Quintana Mets
22nd Chatwood Mets
23rd Hamels Mets
24th Alzolay Braves
25th Lester Braves
26th Darvish Braves
27th Quintana Braves
28th Chatwood @Reds
29th Hamels @Reds
30th Alzolay @Reds
1st Lester @Pirates
2nd Darvish @Pirates
3rd Quintana @Pirates
4th Chatwood @Pirates
5th Off
6th @ Sox Hamels
7th @ Sox (Alzolay)

I pretty much dissed Montgomery for 2 reasons.

Montgomery has a 1.79 WHIP. He is really not fooling hitters with a .333 BAA.
Chatwood 1.46 WHIP and a .238 BAA.

So this shouldn't really be a argument between the two. Chatwood has been the guy that they paid for this year and has just lacked the opportunity.

As far as Alzolay is concerned well he needs to get exposure.

Now I played around with this and it really came down to Chatwood was more deserving right now over Alzolay. And I wanted to split up the lefties.

Now the 2nd main reason why.

Doing this pre deadline with Chatwood puts another starter on the market. Pretty much no brainier to use the 1 dead line to your advantage.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I cant see him getting Joe to go with both Chatwood and Alzolay, its more of Maddons speed to keep them both ready for the same day to cover each other for the one particular start. It might be more of giving Alzolay the start against the mets and "send him back to AAA" since he would not be throwing for 5 days anyway.

I heard they would rather have Alzolay go against the Mets though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I cant see him getting Joe to go with both Chatwood and Alzolay, its more of Maddons speed to keep them both ready for the same day to cover each other for the one particular start. It might be more of giving Alzolay the start against the mets and "send him back to AAA" since he would not be throwing for 5 days anyway.

I heard they would rather have Alzolay go against the Mets though.

He has said that he wants to use this opportunity to give the starters a extra day off. There will be a 6 man rotation.

The Cubs haven’t made a final decision about who will replace Kyle Hendricks in the rotation and when that will take place. But Theo Epstein said the team had already been thinking about giving top prospect Adbert Alzolay a spot start or two to help his transition to the majors.

What I listed was Chatwood taking over Hendricks spot. Which makes sense on 2 fronts. He is a major league starting pitcher and not a prospect getting a few reps in. We don't know how long Kyle will be down but Theo said that is better to shut it down and get him 100% before starting the motor again. That means Chatwood is the only viable answer.

Alzolay fits into the start or 2 to give the starters a day off.

Montgomery is still the piggy back guy.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as the Mets go

17th Wheeler
18th deGromm
19th Matz
20th unlisted (Syndergaard's day) vs Darvish This would be a good national TV matchup (listed on WGN and MLBN)
21 unlisted (Vargas's day) VS Q snore ville but a good match up for the Cubs. (NBCSCH)(MLBN)
22 unlisted (Wheeler's day) Chatwood is a decent match up for him. (ABC7) (MLBN)
23 unlisted (deGromm's day) vs Hamels. Another national TV match up. (ABC 7) (MLBN)

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I never thought the long term plan for this year included starting all the games he was here. They wanted him to only pitch 150-160 innings this year. He is already at 36, so getting a taste as a starter gets him up to about 100 and finishing in the pen is probably more likely the plan.

Spot start or two are probably all Kyle will be out, but the smart plan might be to keep him on IL til after the all star break.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I never thought the long term plan for this year included starting all the games he was here. They wanted him to only pitch 150-160 innings this year. He is already at 36, so getting a taste as a starter gets him up to about 100 and finishing in the pen is probably more likely the plan.

Spot start or two are probably all Kyle will be out, but the smart plan might be to keep him on IL til after the all star break.

That rotation would be Chatwood getting 3 starts. Alzolay would get his last start vs the Sox for close the 1st half.

At that point Kyle would have had a whole month off to recover. Season restarts on Friday the 12th at home vs Pit. Which is a full 28 days after his injury. It would be good to start him up to begin the 2nd half.

As far as Chatwood is concerned then. It really depends on if there are any teams looking to deal. Cubs will be on the look for a LH pen arm so a deal would be ideal and the 12-31st is a hot bed time to have Chatwood in the rotation. So I could see a 6 man continue if teams are really looking at him. If there is little interest then I see a 5 man rotation again.
But as far as the season goes it is not stupid to give the starters a extra day off in the hottest months. So there is always that part.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our schedule really opens up. We only play the Braves at home thats over .500. I knew this would be a tough week and a tough stretch thats why I said we need to take business at home.

We missed some wins on the road, but this should be a good stretch for us. Need to capitalize.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
10-straight at home. A 7-3 home stand would be nice.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
10-straight at home. A 7-3 home stand would be nice.

I don't think that they beat Giolito or deGromm. So they Should go 4-2 going into the Braves series. Braves Fried has spanked them. Soroka has been their ace. So it really depends on how it lines up. Those 2 pitch I see a split.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has said that he wants to use this opportunity to give the starters a extra day off. There will be a 6 man rotation.

The Cubs haven’t made a final decision about who will replace Kyle Hendricks in the rotation and when that will take place. But Theo Epstein said the team had already been thinking about giving top prospect Adbert Alzolay a spot start or two to help his transition to the majors.

What I listed was Chatwood taking over Hendricks spot. Which makes sense on 2 fronts. He is a major league starting pitcher and not a prospect getting a few reps in. We don't know how long Kyle will be down but Theo said that is better to shut it down and get him 100% before starting the motor again. That means Chatwood is the only viable answer.

Alzolay fits into the start or 2 to give the starters a day off.

Montgomery is still the piggy back guy.
So, for those scoring at home.....

Montgomery will be a starter because "he is a major league pitcher, not a prospect", yet Alzolay will also get starts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So, for those scoring at home.....

Montgomery will be a starter because "he is a major league pitcher, not a prospect", yet Alzolay will also get starts.

You can be really dumb sometimes.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4869&position=P

Fip: 5.43
BB/9: 4.15
SO/9: 6.23

He is not the same pitcher this year at all. He has no business starting.

Chatwood is not much better though.
Fip: 5.18
BB/9: 5.40
SO/9: 7.46

But the basic difference is contract.

Tyler Chatwood rhp
3 years/$38M (2018-20)

• 3 years/$38M (2018-20)
    • signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 12/7/17
    • 18:$12.5M, 19:$12.5M, 20:$13M
    • 2020 salary may increase:
      • $2M with 1) All-Star selections in both 2018 and 2019 or 2) one vote for Cy Young award in 2018 or 2019
      • $4M with votes for Cy Young award in both 2018 or 2019
Mike Montgomery lhp
1 year/$2.44M (2019)

• 1 year/$2.44M (2019)
    • re-signed by Chicago Cubs 1/11/19 (avoided arbitration)
Montgomery is under team control and holds little value in a trade. They will not gain much by trading him.

Chatwood they can gain payroll flexibility by bringing up his trade value right now.

Regarding Alzolay it factors nothing to this. What was factored was Theo has said that Albert was going to get in a few games in this time frame before the injury. That was already set in stone. So the injury should goto Chatwood IMO.

Now if Albert tosses a no hitter well that just makes everything change fast.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chatwood listed as starting the Mets series.

He is going to be Hendrick's replacement. With Kyle's impingement this might drag out until Aug honestly.