20/20 Hindsight - Cam Meredith

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meredith was a very good looking young receiver. I am quite certain if he was on New England he would have lit it up pretty good.

He got fucking injured. Badly. The Bears parted ways another team took a shot. Who knows. Nobody is right or wrong.

Sometimes I think this 12-4 thing makes people think we have this go go offense now. That was defense .. The offenses contribution was good at very short passes and very long ass drives, complimenting the defense. So far, we are still the Bears, which I by the way have no problem with.

If healthy, Cam Meredith on our team, would be a major participant.

Kind of like saying IF only Jay Cutler would have been better.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I seem to recall those of us not worried about losing Meredith were in the minority. (when we acquired 4 offensive wepaons the same offseason)

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
He shouldnt have taken a pay cut..he earned his money from his time with the Bears..and even then was underpaid.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In my world you just described a good #2 WR on most teams.

Most teams #2 WRs don’t make circus catches and burn elite DBs, if they did they would be #1s.

What the Vikings have is rare.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was good.

Then he was injured.

Then he was not good and will never be good again.

That is a pretty common story in the NFL.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a shame, dude was developing into such a great route runner.

GIF tribute:

jDp2X4.gif

DMSm8K.gif

xm4nyG.gif

ffnlms.gif

g9GHVa.gif

aa6n5g.gif

uhI2zJ.gif

E0kNWy.gif

FQeLV9.gif

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I remember thinking that he could be done after seeing the replay of that knee injury. Brutal. Sucked for him, just as he was really coming into his own.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I remember thinking that he could be done after seeing the replay of that knee injury. Brutal. Sucked for him, just as he was really coming into his own.

Just in case you guys forgot...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Many of us have already eaten crow on this and to be clear I vastly overrated the value of a #2 WR (which it looks like he probably will never be again) lining up outside in this offense.

Ultimately though given the information available at the time (pre draft and pre Robinson) I still don't think the original round tender made any sense. Either you wanted him on the team or you didn't, taking a hard line stand over $1MM (the difference between the original round tender that was offered and second round tender that would have ensured he was on the team) just seemed wishy washy.

And it ended up working out great for the Bears.

And all the whining and hand wringing was for nothing.

So whatever, I eat my crow that it was complete meaningless to have a heated discussion and I overvalued Cam.
We already have guys like Wims that can't see the field and what will be a tight cap. N.O. rolled the dice on this one. Pace picked up his bet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meredith was a very good looking young receiver. I am quite certain if he was on New England he would have lit it up pretty good.

He got fucking injured. Badly. The Bears parted ways another team took a shot. Who knows. Nobody is right or wrong.

Sometimes I think this 12-4 thing makes people think we have this go go offense now. That was defense .. The offenses contribution was good at very short passes and very long ass drives, complimenting the defense. So far, we are still the Bears, which I by the way have no problem with.

If healthy, Cam Meredith on our team, would be a major participant.
The if healthy part is what this thread is all about. I think a lot of those saying 'if healthy' are also the ones that pointed to his preseason and called bullshit on Pace. I agree that the tender was an odd one but it's possible Pace didn't want to deal with a higher possible injury settlement etc nor expected him to play much. Who knows? The net result is that Cam got more money and we got a roster spot and cap space for a healthy player. Win, win and a lose for N.O.

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was definitely one of those guys that was sad to see Cam go, but I didn't hold it against Pace as I don't know the details of the medical stuff. That being said, I was hoping he would have continued to progress post injury and thought he was worth the $5 million price tag, but if that meant that we wouldn't have been able to get AR, Gabriel and Burton, or extend any of our core guys, I understand and trust Pace. Would I have liked to have Robinson over Simms? Sure, but with hindsight we would all do things differently. I think Pace has done a good job bringing in a lot of talent and keeping a lot of talent. I feel SO much better about the Bears front office than I do as a Bulls and White Sox front office...

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Last edited: