2019-20 MLB Hot Stove thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tweet was deleted, so now no one knows what the hell you were posting about... ;) This is why many of us would appreciate a very short description, maybe just a headline, in addition to a bare link that gives no information at all if the link is broken, so if a tweet is deleted like this, someone who comes along knows WHY the Cardinals supposedly just got weaker.

Looking at that response about the Cards made me think it was an announcement of Molina''s retirement. Which, to be honest, doesn't make them weaker, since he's getting so old and beat up that they can't count on him playing for a decent portion of a season any more...

-Doug
It was that Ozuna signed with the Braves

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya they lost around 30 HR's. Have Tyler O'Neil in LF. Big 5 HR stick. Honestly they are not a threat as they were last year.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
If the League office is proven to be specifically waiting on Bryant's grievance in order to inhibit the Cubs making any trades involving him, which flows down to Ozuna, Castellanos and all other FA outfielders we could sign who would improve the team but can't move on until we can clear payroll,, then the Cubs have a basis to sue the League office and the Commissioner. The League doesn't want that, as it could result in baseball's special legal status being revoked by Congress.

The League office better get their thumbs out of their asses before their dawdling on the grievance starts looking like a provable case of collusion between the League office and various teams who want to hurt their competitors. In other words, if Manfred and Co. are trying to orchestrate which teams get which players in order to get "marquee match-ups" that freeze out flyover country teams from the post-season, then baseball deserves to lose its special privileged treatment.

-Doug

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am all for strong defense up the middle. Contrares, Baez, Almora, who knows 2B.

Somehow, Heyward can hit .230 and play everyday, is borderline terrible in center field, and nobody complains.
For starters he is better both offensively and defensively in CF than you state.

And if you haven’t seen complaining about Heyward, you literally must be blind. It is incessant.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If the League office is proven to be specifically waiting on Bryant's grievance in order to inhibit the Cubs making any trades involving him, which flows down to Ozuna, Castellanos and all other FA outfielders we could sign who would improve the team but can't move on until we can clear payroll,, then the Cubs have a basis to sue the League office and the Commissioner. The League doesn't want that, as it could result in baseball's special legal status being revoked by Congress.

The League office better get their thumbs out of their asses before their dawdling on the grievance starts looking like a provable case of collusion between the League office and various teams who want to hurt their competitors. In other words, if Manfred and Co. are trying to orchestrate which teams get which players in order to get "marquee match-ups" that freeze out flyover country teams from the post-season, then baseball deserves to lose its special privileged treatment.

-Doug
Let me know how suing the league works out.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ya they lost around 30 HR's. Have Tyler O'Neil in LF. Big 5 HR stick. Honestly they are not a threat as they were last year.

Until they get Arenado.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
For starters he is better both offensively and defensively in CF than you state.

And if you haven’t seen complaining about Heyward, you literally must be blind. It is incessant.
Try looking up stats

Last year, Heyward, 84 games in center field.

.215 batting average
.325 on base percentage
.371 slugging (my god this is incredible)
.696 ops
.236 BABIP

Basically exactly half of his season.

right field, different story.

You will see it if you look. dont have to look too hard, just have to find a way to accept it.

If Almora put up those numbers he would be run out of fucking town. Oh, right, he is.

Am I still blind or do can you just not get enough of showing you are dumber than an idiot?

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:

Heyward has been a huge disappointment. All complaints about him are valid.

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:
Try looking up stats

.215 batting average
.325 on base percentage
.696 ops
.236 BABIP

You will see it if you look. dont have to look too hard, just have to find a way to accept it.

If Almora put up those numbers he would be run out of fucking town. Oh, right, he is.

Am I still blind or do can you just not get enough of showing you are dumber than an idiot?

Are you arguing that playing center field negatively impacts Heyward’s bat?

That’s a dumb opinion, if so. It’s not fucking catcher.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Are you arguing that playing center field negatively impacts Heyward’s bat?

That’s a dumb opinion, if so. It’s not fucking catcher.

I was answering the following post that is is better offensively in CF than I stated.

Now you can look at splits, show what is clearly an "unfomfortable" player and his uncomfortable being in center field, proving with numbers, that he plays better offensively and defensively when he is in right field. I am guessing you two must feel like its just a switch, hit or defend.
That is what makes him "worth" being the 26 million dollar man. Hits .280 something .350 on base when in right field. Just leave him there.

Like I keep saying, you can keep looking for stats that support your opinion. I am taking it as, Almora could not play, so it was a righty pitching? I dont know about that when heyward only hits .205 against lefties.

Keep digging, its common to say my opinion is wrong, but then state your opinion and just throw in me being dumb or stupid as a final blow. Blow stats.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was answering the following post that is is better offensively in CF than I stated.

Now you can look at splits, show what is clearly an "unfomfortable" player and his uncomfortable being in center field, proving with numbers, that he plays better offensively and defensively when he is in right field. I am guessing you two must feel like its just a switch, hit or defend.
That is what makes him "worth" being the 26 million dollar man. Hits .280 something .350 on base when in right field. Just leave him there.

Like I keep saying, you can keep looking for stats that support your opinion. I am taking it as, Almora could not play, so it was a righty pitching? I dont know about that when heyward only hits .205 against lefties.

Keep digging, its common to say my opinion is wrong, but then state your opinion and just throw in me being dumb or stupid as a final blow. Blow stats.

He had a -1 DRS in CF and a +1 in RF. He was basically league avg last year out there.

2017 was his last year of double diget D value. So call it a switch causing inconsistent play or age. Who knows honestly.

But the fact is his pay check is the reason why he is a starter. The D is not what is was.

Now your opinion on the position change. He had a 47 wRC+ as a lead off. He was over 100 in EVERY other slot in the line up.

So what it sounds like is he sucks leading off. It just happens to be during a time he was in CF.

So at the end of the day he is a avg bat and a avg glove right now. Nothing more or less and the Cubs have to play him because they are paying him and he is not a anchor dragging the team down while not leading off.

But I prefer Happ playing CF myself. At least you know that he can hit and you move him to LF late game and bring in Almora to tighten the D late game.

The real issue is Almora has fallen short of his draft slot value. For a top 10 pick you would have hoped for more than a 4th OF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Try looking up stats

.215 batting average
.325 on base percentage
.696 ops
.236 BABIP

Better offensively and better defensively in CF.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

better than what or who offensively with a .215 average? Maybe we need to do this one at a time, its too much information for your little head.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You can't win an argument with an idiot....they're too stupid to know when they are wrong. It's much more enjoyable to sit back and watch him make a fool of himself on a daily basis.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can't win an argument with an idiot....they're too stupid to know when they are wrong. It's much more enjoyable to sit back and watch him make a fool of himself on a daily basis.

Well they are both wrong

He is a little worse at CF. But it is. Not this void going on.

As a hitter it was him leading off that slumped him. It had nothing to do with playing CF.

So he was not better at all.

Like I've said. They might as well push Happ out there as the starter. He has produced after returning from his AAA stint.

The thing I'm looking at with Happ is his BB and SO rates.

Last year his walk rate was over 15% and his strike out rate was at 36%. But this was also when he was pushed in to the lead off and became more passive at the plate.

Now on returning his walk rate went to 9.6% and his SO rate fell to 25% . Now looking at the big pix he went from 51% of the time sitting down or sitting on 1B to 36% of the time on returning.

So he was putting it into play more in a hitters role.

This netted him 1.5 fWAR in 156 PA's.

Now I really don't see any reason why not every day him now. The issue was more so wrong peg for the slot vs anything else. But that was status que for Madden who really didn't get the concept of hitters production in roles and it falls on Theo for being too cheap to Target a legit lead off.

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:

Heyward isn’t worth his contract. But we are stuck with it.

We aren’t stuck with Almora Jr and his 66 OPS+ leading off and starting too often.

We fired Joe Maddon primarily to get rid of that crippling stupidity.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyward isn’t worth his contract. But we are stuck with it.

We aren’t stuck with Almora Jr and his 66 OPS+ leading off and starting too often.

We fired Joe Maddon primarily to get rid of that crippling stupidity.
I didnt know you could fire someone who didnt have a contract with a team

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why I always read the Idiot's posts....he makes up so much shit that it makes me laugh. He doesn't seem like a bad guy.... not overly intelligent, but....he's, well....an idiot.

Also.......
my momma had no idea.
Just for the record, my mom AND grandma both knew.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I didnt know you could fire someone who didnt have a contract with a team

Well fire = what happened to Astros and Sox and Mets.

Not offered a new deal = Joe

Hired = LAA did for Joe and Cubs to David.

I hope this helps.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I love it, at this point some of y'all are beating your old dead horses with the "Maddon was a terrible manager, he was weak in every area you can be weak in, no wonder we fired him!" chant.

I want to hear y'all on that same soapbox when the Angels are appearing in the World Series in a year or two and the Cubs are finishing fourth in a weak NL Central.

-Doug

p.s. -- I don't think you're being fired when the GM and President both say that, had the team gotten into a funk with a different manager, they would be trying to hire Joe today. Has nothing to do with the manager, just with the team getting burned out on a given manager's approach, and needing a change. dvd