2019-20 MLB Hot Stove thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How does bringing back a guy who was effective when healthy on a lower cost, low cost deal indicate they don’t want to win?

They already paid his buy out. And the time lost. The chances that they ever recoup it is slim to none.

It is a dumpster dive but why not at this point.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
They already paid his buy out. And the time lost. The chances that they ever recoup it is slim to none.

It’s something they’ve done every offseason that they have been in the front office. Brought in zero risk with potential high upside arms on minor league deals. There’s literally nothing to lose and it has zero impact on the actual offseason plan.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It’s something they’ve done every offseason that they have been in the front office. Brought in zero risk with potential high upside arms on minor league deals. There’s literally nothing to lose and it has zero impact on the actual offseason plan.

You are right. And the odds are he will be in rehab again all season with continued drama. I don't expect him to pick up a baseball other than long toss oh hums again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think we should start musing a scenerio.

Nat's are going to need to replace Rendon. LAA are now in on Rendon.

So Nat's would be smart to go after KB. Maybe a 1 for 1. And the 2nd a PTBNL with a A list (2years) B list (1 year control)

After that LAA is looking at a catcher and Contreras looks like a natural fit. Adell would have to be the return.

This way the Cubs start the retool process.

I would list Bryant for Kieboom(#20 prospect). Then a tier 1 tier 2 pitcher

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

So Nat's would be smart to go after KB. Maybe a 1 for 1. And the 2nd a PTBNL with a A list (2years) B list (1 year control)

After that LAA is looking at a catcher and Contreras looks like a natural fit. Adell would have to be the return.

Nats certainly have plenty of experience dealing with boras

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

No, Nats have no pitching. Im starting off the talks with Robles, Kieboom, and a pitcher

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
There's some interesting ramifications of teams like the dodgers and yankees being in on rendon/cole. I think we can safely assume that when teams like boston, the yankees, and dodgers pumping the breaks in FA the last few years to get under the luxury tax that it's a legit thing and is likely to keep happening so long as it's there. Obviously the cubs are in that phase this year. But what I'm thinking is it's likely to go in waves. In other words, those teams may buy for a year or two then cut costs.

What's interesting about that is you have to think about the waves of FA that will likely come in tandem with that. So, while it's disappointing the cubs may be out this year... keep in mind next year you have Mookie Betts. IDK if they will be out of salary issues by then but the year after that it's probable that Lindor hits FA not to mention bryant if they don't re-sign him. If he's not re-signing with the cubs then I found it unlikely he re-signs if traded. And if you have philly, la and nyy spending big now they very likely wont 2 years from now. It's more likely to be cubs vs boston in that regard.

I don't wanna Madden trade this too much but it's plausible that they could deal bryant for a big package. Doing so likely lets them reset their luxury tax. And in 2 years you could feasibly see them go after Lindor and Bryant as free agents. I don't know if you realistically could land both but it's an interesting thought. Would you trade a worse 2020 without bryant for the package he returns if you also could know that 2 years from now you also are getting him or lindor too?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gerritt Cole to the Yankees. 9 year 324 million. WOWOWOWOWOWOW

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The buy out and time lost don't change whether you sign him or somebody else. Those are moot.

Maybe he never gets past his injuries, but it's low risk at this point.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
its nice that we don't have to wait til FEb for guys to get signed this year as last year.

Will Cole rise up to the contract or shrink like Zito and Heyward did?

Bumgarner to the Dodgers they're saying. Why don't the WSox sign him?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No, Nats have no pitching. Im starting off the talks with Robles, Kieboom, and a pitcher

They have 1 guy worth looking at. I would personally go for Keiboom (love that name). And what I've read is he is more likely to fall to 2B but 3B makes more sense then with Nico at 2B.

After that Rutledge is their top arm. I would say that he would be in on a 2 year scenerio.

Adon would be a1 year PTBNL guy.

Kieboom is the #20 rated prospect in baseball. You really are getting a solid player as is for Bryant.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why people continue to bash Heyward is puzzling. The Cubs got what they expected and the money is not out of line.

Worse is how some people work criticism of certain targets into every thread.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Why people continue to bash Heyward is puzzling. The Cubs got what they expected and the money is not out of line.

Worse is how some people work criticism of certain targets into every thread.

They expected a top 3 of the lineup hitter, a guy that stole 20 bases, on base around .350.
After 3 terrible seasons, he finally got his on base up to .343.
But Almora, Happ, Javy put up offensive numbers like he did for three years and they are crap.

The worst part was it went against Theo's plan of developing position players, buying pitching. We have watched players making a small percentage of his salary carrying this team. Best player, highest paid player, keeps the locker room happy.

This has been our highest paid position player for 4 years and we get the same garbage. You cant forget the first three years here just because he did ok for a while last year and padded his numbers enough to still be reasonable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They expected a top 3 of the lineup hitter, a guy that stole 20 bases, on base around .350.
But Almora, Happ, Javy put up offensive numbers like he did for three years and they are crap.

The worst part was it went against Theo's plan of developing position players, buying pitching. We have watched players making a small percentage of his salary carrying this team. Best player, highest paid player, keeps the locker room happy.

This has been our highest paid position player for 4 years and we get the same garbage. You cant forget the first three years here just because he did ok for a while last year and padded his numbers enough to still be reasonable.

Jason is a gap hitter. Wrigg has a small out field where you are better off creating loft. It has taken 3 years of adjustments to get to this point.

It was a bad fit. Jason is better in a park like Petco that his D plays up more and he has more areas to shoot the gap hits.

We all really need to look at Nick. Big park in Det led league in 2B. Come to CHC those hits become 4 bags.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said Heyward for Meyers swap prospects where the Cubs get the better end result. Meyers would Excell in a smaller park. Heyward would Excell there more.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

It's laughable to suggest the Heyward contract is anything but awful.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That said Heyward for Meyers swap prospects where the Cubs get the better end result. Meyers would Excell in a smaller park. Heyward would Excell there more.

I thought the Giants were a good fit for him too. I really do not care what he does, where he goes, it just cant be here for this entire contract.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It's laughable to suggest the Heyward contract is anything but awful. I find it strange that so many people appear to go out of their way to defend him.
I think it depends on you definition of awful. Heyward's contract isn't one of the worst in baseball. He's paid like a 3 win player and generally speaking he's been a 2 win player. So from a performance level evaluation sure he's over paid. That being said, he's also quite likely a very important club house voice and a great example for younger players. I mean clearly he's not going to be the 5 win guy he used to be but no one goes out and works harder than he does. That has intrinsic value you can't really evaluate.

Just as an example here, I'd rather have Heyward and his contract than Cano and his contract even though Cano has been a better hitter. I'm sure I could find other contracts I'd have Heyward than but I don't feel like going through every team right now. Either way, Heyward isn't really the problem here. I mean $20 mil he's making isn't going to find you another OF who will fix the issues the 2018/19 cubs had.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought the Giants were a good fit for him too. I really do not care what he does, where he goes, it just cant be here for this entire contract.

Meyers:. 20:$20M, 21:$20M, 22:$20M, 23:$20M club option ($1M buyout)

Heyward 20:$21M, 21:$21M, 22:$22M, 23:$22M

It would be a wash. But the prospects would be where the Cubs can gain ground.