2019-20 MLB Hot Stove thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it depends on you definition of awful. Heyward's contract isn't one of the worst in baseball. He's paid like a 3 win player and generally speaking he's been a 2 win player. So from a performance level evaluation sure he's over paid. That being said, he's also quite likely a very important club house voice and a great example for younger players. I mean clearly he's not going to be the 5 win guy he used to be but no one goes out and works harder than he does. That has intrinsic value you can't really evaluate.

Just as an example here, I'd rather have Heyward and his contract than Cano and his contract even though Cano has been a better hitter. I'm sure I could find other contracts I'd have Heyward than but I don't feel like going through every team right now. Either way, Heyward isn't really the problem here. I mean $20 mil he's making isn't going to find you another OF who will fix the issues the 2018/19 cubs had.

Jason is not ass anymore. That part is true. That is the reason why teams would deal for him now. Close to GG quality RF D. And has shown improvement.

It would be a change of scenery deal and a bigger OF his value jumps again.

On that scenerio that I laid out Pads would have to pay a quality prospect in it. Meyers has a injury track record over there. Jason has been healthy for the most part of this deal. So in terms of projected fWAR Jason is by far the safer bet going forward. But the Cubs need talent via the pipe and SDP has that.

I would think ODLC (he is unprotected and SDP might push him up or cut him).

Michel Baez might be a good target. He goes right into the mix this season. 6'8" frame could end up a starting pitcher.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jason is not ass anymore. That part is true. That is the reason why teams would deal for him now. Close to GG quality RF D. And has shown improvement.

It would be a change of scenery deal and a bigger OF his value jumps again.

On that scenerio that I laid out Pads would have to pay a quality prospect in it. Meyers has a injury track record over there. Jason has been healthy for the most part of this deal. So in terms of projected fWAR Jason is by far the safer bet going forward. But the Cubs need talent via the pipe and SDP has that.
I don't see the fit of Myers in chicago tbqh. He'a a below average RF and you really don't want him in CF. He's also a high strike out rate guy on a team full of high strike out rate guys. I get you're trying to acquire essentially free prospects with the idea but unless there's some where else for the cubs to move Myers the trade doesn't make sense to me because unless they are giving up a premium prospect as in like top 75 or better I see no reason to even talk about the deal.

If you really have to get rid of Heyward which as mention I don't think they do but if you are that intent on it then I'd talk to Boston about Price. He's owed 3/$96 mil. Heyward is owed 4/$86 mil. Bradley is likely to cost them ~$11.5 mil in arb. So, presuming they subtract Price and in a separate deal trade Bradley some where and add Heyward they would be saving about $22.5 mil in 2020.

It would probably have to include more on Boston's side because you'd be increasing luxury tax number with Price but if they are willing to eat a little bit of money and give you a couple of mildly interesting prospects I think it's an interesting base of a trade. For the cubs you'd effectively be speeding up getting the money off the books with Price as well as giving you a pretty good pitcher who's easier to move should you be in position to sell in july. Boston also gets some cover for if Betts leaves as a FA with Heyward in their sell off of Price.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't see the fit of Myers in chicago tbqh. He'a a below average RF and you really don't want him in CF. He's also a high strike out rate guy on a team full of high strike out rate guys. I get you're trying to acquire essentially free prospects with the idea but unless there's some where else for the cubs to move Myers the trade doesn't make sense to me because unless they are giving up a premium prospect as in like top 75 or better I see no reason to even talk about the deal.

If you really have to get rid of Heyward which as mention I don't think they do but if you are that intent on it then I'd talk to Boston about Price. He's owed 3/$96 mil. Heyward is owed 4/$86 mil. Bradley is likely to cost them ~$11.5 mil in arb. So, presuming they subtract Price and in a separate deal trade Bradley some where and add Heyward they would be saving about $22.5 mil in 2020.

It would probably have to include more on Boston's side because you'd be increasing luxury tax number with Price but if they are willing to eat a little bit of money and give you a couple of mildly interesting prospects I think it's an interesting base of a trade. For the cubs you'd effectively be speeding up getting the money off the books with Price as well as giving you a pretty good pitcher who's easier to move should you be in position to sell in july. Boston also gets some cover for if Betts leaves as a FA with Heyward in their sell off of Price.

It would be more so about getting Baez.

Physical, imposing frame with a true three-pitch mix.

The very first thing that should stand out about Michel Baez is his frame: he’s roughly 6-foot-8 with long arms that allow him to create great extension down hill. For someone that large, Baez actually repeats his delivery well in short spurts and has visibly improved his command since making his professional debut.

Baez only pitched in relief last season, where he had great success in Double A and with the Padres. The organization still views Baez as a starter and rightfully so: he has three above-average pitches. His fastball regularly sits in the high-90s with natural cut to it and pairs well with his wipeout slider that is already a true swing-and-miss pitch. Some evaluators believe his changeup is better than his slider, with true downward actions and coming out of the same arm slot as his fastball.

With that being said, Baez will likely continue to operate as a reliever for now. The Padres are adamant about wanting to win in 2020 and he is a true weapon out of their bullpen at the current moment. He’s a relatively safe prospect given his true three-pitch mix.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even then I wouldn't mind Price. But Boston needs are the same as the Cubs. Neither team will deal with the other.

Both are pushing under tax. Even on a even exchange and cash offset it just signals Bradley or Betts is next. Bradley = Heyward. Betts >>>>Heyward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2:31pm: While the likelihood of an arrangement isn’t known, the Dodgers are engaged in “serious” and ongoing talks with the Indians regarding star shortstop Francisco Lindor, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). The report suggests that the Cleveland organization wants a prospect package that includes top talents Gavin Lux and Dustin May, each of whom reached the majors late last year. Whether the demand is for both to be included isn’t entirely clear.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm kinda like why?

Dodgers do not need these guys at all

I get going after a closer or a TOR. This line of reasoning makes no sense. They have a ASG quality SS

Castor76

Liked Posts:
One of the 3B dominoes has fallen. Hopefully Donaldson signs soon and the Cubs will know exactly where the market lies, if they want, for Bryant. The Angels signing Rendon takes them out of play, but there will still be others.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
One of the 3B dominoes has fallen. Hopefully Donaldson signs soon and the Cubs will know exactly where the market lies, if they want, for Bryant. The Angels signing Rendon takes them out of play, but there will still be others.

Why? Maddon thinks Bryant is an outfielder.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rule 5 was today. Cubs lost Rucker and Machin in the MLB portion but gained Trevor Megill. Machin isn't much of a loss. Like dude can hit but he's not much of a runner and defensively pretty meh. Like he's the perfect example of the 26th man on rosters. I'm not worried too much about him breaking out in Oakland. Rucker I don't like losing. Guy has great k/bb splits. I'm not sure he's ever going to be a star either but just a guy I always liked.

Megill is pretty interesting as a bullpen piece. He's had really strong k rates in various stints. Last year at AAA he was at 12.70 k/9 and 3.40 bb/9. You're basically hoping he's similar to Wick which he very well might be. So, grabbing him while losing Rucker doesn't hurt as much.

In the minor league portion wasn't much interesting. Worst loss was probably Faustino Carrera who's kind of an interesting starter at A last year. He's more of your kyle hendricks type than dominating stuff however. They also lost Carlos Sepulveda who's kind of your utility infielder type but not much of a bat.

Their additions were Brock Stewart, Jerrick Suiter, Vance Vizcaino and David Masters. Stewart was a top 10 prospect for LA 2 years ago. Looks more like a depth starter now but you need those. No clue why they took Suiter. He hasn't hit since 2017. Bleachernation speculated maybe turning him into a pitcher. Vizcaino is upper minors OF depth. Cubs really were low there and he looks to be an ok hitter. Wouldn't expect him to make the majors though. Like wise, Masters is upper minors infield depth likely to replace Machin.

Overall, most of these guys you shouldn't really care about. To me it's basically Rucker and Carrera for Megill and Stewart. Megill looks like a better reliever to me long term than Rucker so unless he breaks out as a start I'm pretty happy there. Stewart I'm not sure is anything but he's closer to the majors than Carrera. Think I'd rather have Carrera though.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Why? Maddon thinks Bryant is an outfielder.

I just think that other Angels brass isn't going to want to spend the money and prospects. Doesn't mean the Cubs and Angels won't make a trade. I just doubt it will be for Bryant. If it does, then great.