2019-20 MLB Hot Stove thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Interesting... teams have apparently asked about Darvish per Joel Sherman.

I'm not necessarily saying you should trade Darvish. But we've seen how desperate teams are for pitching this offseason given the crazy big contracts given out. Darvish looks exceedingly reasonable on his 4 years $81 mil left when you're talking about other top pitchers making $35 mil plus.

If you're taking a step back in 2020 it might be worth considering if teams are willing to pay quality prospects for him. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere near the package you would for Bryant but say for instance you could get a position player and 2 pitchers for bryant..... if you could get 2 pitchers for Darvish instead I'd really be open to considering moving him.

Cots puts the cubs at roughly $1.7 mil over the $208 mil threshold. So, moving Darvish's $22 mil off the books would open about $20 mil in space.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It would give the Cubs lots of space potentially for the 2021 offseason, but there aren't any big names starter wise in that class.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Interesting... teams have apparently asked about Darvish per Joel Sherman.

I'm not necessarily saying you should trade Darvish. But we've seen how desperate teams are for pitching this offseason given the crazy big contracts given out. Darvish looks exceedingly reasonable on his 4 years $81 mil left when you're talking about other top pitchers making $35 mil plus.

If you're taking a step back in 2020 it might be worth considering if teams are willing to pay quality prospects for him. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere near the package you would for Bryant but say for instance you could get a position player and 2 pitchers for bryant..... if you could get 2 pitchers for Darvish instead I'd really be open to considering moving him.

Cots puts the cubs at roughly $1.7 mil over the $208 mil threshold. So, moving Darvish's $22 mil off the books would open about $20 mil in space.

Darvish was pretty crazy for not opting out. At age 33, there was a chance of another big deal out there for him, even if it was Wheeler like, it was still plus 25 million for the remaining years. I mean that was low end, wasn't it? Now he will be 37 and hoping for one year deals at 15-18 if he is still in the league.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Darvish was pretty crazy for not opting out. At age 33, there was a chance of another big deal out there for him, even if it was Wheeler like, it was still plus 25 million for the remaining years. I mean that was low end, wasn't it? Now he will be 37 and hoping for one year deals at 15-18 if he is still in the league.
I wonder if he didn’t opt out because of loyalty and feeling that he hadn’t lived up to his contract yet. Japanese culture is very big on honor

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I wonder if he didn’t opt out because of loyalty and feeling that he hadn’t lived up to his contract yet. Japanese culture is very big on honor
Two ways to look at it though, let them off the hook if he does not live up to the next 4. I thought that neighbor that complained about his fence was enough to make him want to move away.

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:
Why people continue to bash Heyward is puzzling. The Cubs got what they expected and the money is not out of line.

Worse is how some people work criticism of certain targets into every thread.

You are crazy if you think Heyward has earned his contract. Guy has been worth 33 percent of his contract rate so far, if that.

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:
Cubs should try to ship Quintana back to the south side. Free up some money, get some prospects, and Quintana will probably pitch better on the south side in front of empty stadiums. Guy shrinks under the moment. What use is there to keeping him around? He was the worst qualified starting pitcher in the NL last year among pitchers who didn’t pitch their home games at Coors. It doesn’t matter if you’re “reasonably priced” if you’re awful. Can’t imagine Mills would be worse over a full season.

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:

he still owes us a lot, to be honest. If he was anything above putrid in 2018, the Cubs win the NL central easily.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I do not get this kluber trade from the indians perspective. Feels like he should be worth way more than DeShields and a reliever.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do not get this kluber trade from the indians perspective. Feels like he should be worth way more than DeShields and a reliever.

He lost 2 mph on top of returning from injury. Indians sold low to cut payroll

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Cubs should have tried to get Bumgarner now we know how cheap he went to the Dbacks.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Cubs should have tried to get Bumgarner now we know how cheap he went to the Dbacks.

On one hand, with how much money has been going out for pitchers, I'd have guessed he'd have gotten about 5 million more per. OTOH, the Cubs are already a few million over where they want to be and spending another 17 M on a guy you hope gets it back isn't actually where they need to be spending money.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On one hand, with how much money has been going out for pitchers, I'd have guessed he'd have gotten about 5 million more per. OTOH, the Cubs are already a few million over where they want to be and spending another 17 M on a guy you hope gets it back isn't actually where they need to be spending money.
He isnt getting it back. The only thing he has going for him is a weird arm angle. Guy has been the mileage of a 38 year old

Castor76

Liked Posts:
He isnt getting it back. The only thing he has going for him is a weird arm angle. Guy has been the mileage of a 38 year old
Kinda my point. Why bemoan not getting a guy who'd be the #3 at best on the current staff and cross your fingers he still has some post season magic in him? And that's only if they make it that far.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Pretty sure that Chatwood is in the driver's seat for the 5. Alozay, Mills and Rae would have to beat him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's more than selling low. It's giving him away.

I'm pretty sure that it means there were no serious offers and it was 100% payroll cut.

Most likely teams were looking to offset cash with better returns. Cle most likely just was looking at the best return for 0 off set. And that was it.

Cubs situation just becomes more clear. They can not add to payroll and are mandated to get under tax.