2019/20 Roster and Camp Battles

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The reports were they were trying to move Anisimov and Perlini, so considering Anisimov is gone, I would think Perlini is next. I can see them trying to package Perlini and Jewels somewhere but no doubt they need to take back some NHL guy in return which goes back to blocking a yute.

That is why I almost think someone signing Perlini to an offer sheet would be a better move since it would be a 5th or 6th rounder and not bring in another forward or D man that has to play.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The reports were they were trying to move Anisimov and Perlini, so considering Anisimov is gone, I would think Perlini is next. I can see them trying to package Perlini and Jewels somewhere but no doubt they need to take back some NHL guy in return which goes back to blocking a yute.

That is why I almost think someone signing Perlini to an offer sheet would be a better move since it would be a 5th or 6th rounder and not bring in another forward or D man that has to play.
Yeah it will be interesting to see where they maneuver to move or keep him... If they move him fine, they get assets if they keep him, well where does he play. I'm curious with the goalie addition if that makes trading one away a possibility. Just don't know who needs a backup.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Collition said they want to be 25, 26 players deep, with lots of competition to make the roster.

Had heaps of praise for Dach.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am ready for roster/line-up predictions. Lets go! *BOLD signifies significant camp battle

Cagguila-Toews-Shaw

Cat-Strome-Kane

Saad-Dach-(Perlini vs Kubalik vs Nylander vs Sikura)

Kampf-Smith-(Kubalik vs Sikura1 vs Nylander vs Entwhistle)

13F. Carpenter

1. Keith
2. Gus (PP) vs Bovqist (PP)

3. DeHaan (PK)
4. Seabs (PP) vs Bovqist (PP)

5. Murphy (PK)
6. Maata (PK)

7. KK vs Bovqist

IMO, Bovqist might get 9 or sent to Rockford for a minute while they sort it out. Dahlstrom is just insurance they probably hope clears waivers at this point. Its certainly possible they keep 8D to start the season and that means KK, Dahlstrom, Bovqist take two spots and leave none for the
Kubalik vs Sikura1 vs Nylander vs Entwhistle battle, which is as much about fit and flavor.

In all, 3-4 spots are tight choices including Dach who is looking inevitable, and Perlini is locked if around)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking more closely... Keep in mind you can only keep 3 of these guys! as to why Perlini might be shipped out.

1. Dach
2. Perlini
3. Koekekk
4. Bovqist
5. Sikura1
6. Dahlstrom
7. Kubalik
8. Nylander
9. Q2
10. Saarella1
11. Kurashev (my dark horse who performed as well as Kubalik at worlds and like Barrett, is an emerging 3rd round pick)
12. Entwhistle is in the running for 4th line consideration too, based on hitting and size.

In 2020 this list will be expanded at the top by Barrett, Beudin and Mitchell as well, with Vlasic in 2021-22)

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
Forwards have a lot of variables and possibilities. Regardless how the line combo's shake out - there are 6 forwards who will be in the starting lineup barring an injury or trade - Toews, Kane, DeBrincat, Strome, Saad and Shaw. The other 6 forward slots in the starting lineup will be picked from this group who have NHL experience: Kampf, Caggiula, Smith, Carpenter, Nylander, Sikura, Quenneville, and Perlini, and this group who have a chance but don't have any NHL experience yet: Kubalik, Wedin, Saarela, Kurashev and 1st round pick Dach. That's a lot of players for 6 spots.

My guess is Dach plays well enough at training camp and in preseason games to make the team. I've got to think that if Perlini gets signed and is still on the Hawks that he will be in the lineup. That leaves 4 spots in the lineup and I'd guess Kampf, Smith, Caggiula and Carpenter will take 3 of those spots with the odd man out taking the 13th forward spot. That leaves 1 spot to be filled in the opening day lineup and I think it will come down to whoever plays best from among Sikura, Kubalik and Nylander.

Opening day forward lineup:

Shaw-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Dach-Sikura/Kubalik/Nylander
Caggiula-Kampf-Smith
Carpenter

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
We knew what we had and Stan filled the spots. Bovquist could have played last year, but guarding the money and control shipped him out. Then stan fills 2 spots making Bovquist making this club based on injury to Seabrook or Murphy. Both were injured some last year so its still a possibility. I only see Gus as the PP d man on this team, we dont really have a forward to handle the point like Sharpie used to who was able to chase the puck that got away. I guess that is what we are down to, hoping for an injury on defense.

Nylander will probably be in Rockford after his terrible performance last week. Carpenter signed here so there may have been some guarantees. I wont be shocked if they send Dach out with Bovquist again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We knew what we had and Stan filled the spots. Bovquist could have played last year, but guarding the money and control shipped him out. Then stan fills 2 spots making Bovquist making this club based on injury to Seabrook or Murphy. Both were injured some last year so its still a possibility. I only see Gus as the PP d man on this team, we dont really have a forward to handle the point like Sharpie used to who was able to chase the puck that got away. I guess that is what we are down to, hoping for an injury on defense.

Nylander will probably be in Rockford after his terrible performance last week. Carpenter signed here so there may have been some guarantees. I wont be shocked if they send Dach out with Bovquist again.

The thing with Bovquist was the 16/17 yo major concussions.

He and his agents seemed guarded last year with his plan, but after a year in the OHL he has come back determined to make the jump now.

They can open two spots by preserving Dach after his 9(he looks likely to earn an audition, and if you ask the veterans I assume they will all say yes about the 6'5" 200lb 18 year old freak), and slotting Bovqist in Rockford for a couple months.
The question is can Dach get 5-9 points in 9 games, at 18 handcuffed by Saad, and Shaw or Kubalik as his scoring wing, while winning 35% faceoffs.
That is my expectation right now unless they ship Caggs and Perlini out to clear space for all the AHL stars they have.

Maybe Shaw-Kampf-Dach could work?

Or all things equal, Shaw-Smith-Dach could probably be a 4th line, but they would prefer he grow into a more complete center with the Blades.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dispensing with details, the following lineup is after Anisimov is traded and Nikita Gusev is acquired from Vegas.

Gusev-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Dach-Sikura
Caggiula-Kampf-Kubalik

Keith-Gustafsson
Maatta-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Murphy
(Seabrook)

This was so spot on, I just wanted to give a shout out as my original OP has gotten real messy trying to make sense of Colliton/Bowman's 24/25 deep roster.

Shaw and Caggs can probably be used...like one on the left, and one on the right, moving up and down to agitate whoever they want now.

But using this blueprint above...and the recent trades...

Shaw-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Dach-Smith
Caggs-Kampf-Kubalik/Carp

Keith-Gus
Maatta-Murphy
Seabs-DeHaan

KK

Could be one of the better actual begin the season projections, lending the face-off prowess of Smith to carry Dach a bit, give those guys some speed with Saad...a couple of pass first guys to try to get some production from Saad, and Dach can carry the entry, possess, and has decent speed for a big 18 year old too. Maybe they get Shaw and can get nasty, and you carry Saad with 88-19?

But something like above is likely, with Kubalik facing about 5 other guys with a similar shot. Put anybody you want there, but he might get first look while the gang torches the AHL. I want to see some big numbers in Rockford, and I need to find a place that takes AHL wagers.

Taking nothing for granted...I think the Hawks are so deep that Saad/Kampf/Perlini better be on notice...there are guys near that could push them out.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Its already convention week and no perlini, I cant see them signing him which gives a clear shot for Kubalik or Dach to get a shot.

As far as Shaw and Jewels, their games are so much alike, they are going to pester defenders constantly.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are sending some prospect camp stand-outs to Wednesday night Chicago Pro League

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/20...-beaudin-entwistle-krys-hagel-kurashev-vlasic

Team Warrior

Adam Boqvist

Nicolas Beaudin

Kirby Dach*

MacKenzie Entwistle*

ChemStation/Delaney

Chad Krys*

Brandon Hagel*

Philipp Kurashev*

Alex Vlasic

The Dach/Entwistle/Smith line is an interesting idea at some point in the next two years. Even the Blues will feel that shit.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They are sending some prospect camp stand-outs to Wednesday night Chicago Pro League

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/20...-beaudin-entwistle-krys-hagel-kurashev-vlasic

Team Warrior

Adam Boqvist

Nicolas Beaudin

Kirby Dach*

MacKenzie Entwistle*

ChemStation/Delaney

Chad Krys*

Brandon Hagel*

Philipp Kurashev*

Alex Vlasic

The Dach/Entwistle/Smith line is an interesting idea at some point in the next two years. Even the Blues will feel that shit.
I just saw this after the thread I made. I am shame. Connor Murphy too it seems though

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its already convention week and no perlini, I cant see them signing him which gives a clear shot for Kubalik or Dach to get a shot.

As far as Shaw and Jewels, their games are so much alike, they are going to pester defenders constantly.
...unless the Aura of Pussification™ that is plaguing the team gets to them. Call me a cynical bastage if you want but it seems like every time anyone over the past few seasons does something like stand up for a teammate, that pack mentality mindset gets sucked out of them awfully quick.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Team Warrior

Adam Boqvist

Nicolas Beaudin

Kirby Dach*

MacKenzie Entwistle*

ChemStation/Delaney

Chad Krys*

Brandon Hagel*

Philipp Kurashev*

Alex Vlasic

So the hawks do not have enough clout to actually put them all on their own team?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright, I have really hammered out a big picture of the foreign and domestic farm here as well as a messy picture of the potential slotting and major camp battles.
If I got anything wrong do not hesitate to inform me.

FORWARDS

*bold = competition leaders, *italics = good chance at this slot

1. (Cagguila/Shaw/Saad/Kubalik/Sikura1/Q2/Saarela1)-Toews-Kane

2. Cat-Strome-(Perlini/Shaw/Kubalik/Nylander/Saarela1/Dach/Smith) Those little boys need muscle, Dach?Smith?

3. (Caggs/Saad)-(Dach/Kampf/Kurashev)-(Shaw/Smith/Kubalik/Sikura/Entwhistle/Nylander/Q2/Saarela1)

4. (Dach/Kubalik/Sikura1/Q2/Saarela1/Nylander/Entwhistle/Kurashev/Hagel)-(Kampf/Carpenter)-(Smith/Shaw)

13F. Sikura1/Kampf/Carpenter/Entwhistle/Q2/Saarela1/Nylander/Hagel/Fortin/Kubalik

RASK'S BEST LINE-UP PREDICTION (first 9 games)...

Jewels-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Kampf-Shaw
Dach-Carpenter-Smith

13. Kubalik or Nylander or Sikura or 8D

imo, give Dach a chance to show it for 9, have a quick look at Kubalik or Nylander in addition, and let Sikura wait a minute would be my move with the expectation Sikura will be first up soon enough, and preserving a little guy for a few games won't hurt anything. Letting Dach expend some energy for the team, be an "engine" as Toews says. He looks phenomenal and is sturdy enough/skilled enough to give that 4th line some teeth, well fortified by some solid vets there. He can easily carry the entries for that line day 1 without having to worry about face-offs or knowing the system yet. Just be big, hit some people, and flip that line into some offensive chances. I like it. If he does go back to Saskatuwan it gives him alot of information on his game to take with him, and a taste of man strength to motivate in the gym. Some time there to look at him at 3C and/or with Cat/Strome or even Toews/Kane for a game or two just to see.

FWD DEPTH(The ripe 6, and the next 12)
Ripe 6: Q2, Saarela1, Sikura1, Highmore, Fortin, Nylander, Versteeg, Kubalik

1.Dach 2.Kurashev 3. Barratt(Penn St) 4. Jake Wise(Boston U) 5. Entwhistle 6. Kayumov (KHL) 7. Altybarmakyan (KHL) 8. Nordgren (Liiga) 9. Soderland 10. Hagel 11. Johnson 12.Teply/Saarela2(both these last two prospect bear watching)

DEFENSE

1. Keith (PP)
2. Gus (PP) vs Bovquist(PP)

3. DeHaan (PK)
4. Seabs (PK)

5. Murphy (PK) vs Bovquist
6. Maata (PK) vs KK vs Beudin

7. KK vs Bovquist vs Beudin

CAMP BATTLE 7D!!
D DEPTH: The Next 6
1. Bovquist 2. Mitchell 3. Beudin 4. Dahlstrom 5. Krys 6. Vlasic

GOALIES
1. Crawford 2. Lehner 3. Delia vs Lankenan and Nalimov

G DEPTH
1. Nalimov 2. Lankenan 3. Gravel

in my opinion, if Rockford ends up with Nalimov/Lankenan and 9+ NHL ready forwards they are going to cremate the AHL.

Do not blame me for the mess above. Bowman/Colloton targeted entering this season with 25/26 NHL ready guys, and due to the development of Entwhistle/Beudin/Bovqist/Hagel/Dach/Kurashev and some extra guys coming over (Kubalik/Nalimov), Q2 and Saarella 1 in trades...I believe that number is closer to 32 or higher. Just an FYI, handling just 17 faceoffs Fortin had the highest win % on the team at 65% last year.

The problem is not the depth, its that last top 6 forward who can really shoot well. They certainly have the ammo to move for whatever they want.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Do you think Perlini's price is going to go down before camp starts?

Isnt smith a center? I expect him to get the fourth line and Kampf will get the Krueger treatment of putting a guy who is a good fit for the fourth line on the third line and get no playmaking out of him on regular offense, then eventually switch places until they start playing well, then reversing again.

I dont think there is any doubt Shaw gets Toews opposite side starting the season while Kane stays with Strome and Cat calling themselves the top line.

Our big problem has been the PK, which forwards are you looking at for Pk? Toews, shaw, Smith, Kamph, Carpenter, maybe Jewels?

I expect Gus to run the PP, I dont think Keith had any time on PP last year since he cant skate back fast enough to get pucks if a fore checker is chasing. I would rather see a big forward that can skate do PP2 point, like Sharpie used to.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you think Perlini's price is going to go down before camp starts?

Isnt smith a center? I expect him to get the fourth line and Kampf will get the Krueger treatment of putting a guy who is a good fit for the fourth line on the third line and get no playmaking out of him on regular offense, then eventually switch places until they start playing well, then reversing again.

I dont think there is any doubt Shaw gets Toews opposite side starting the season while Kane stays with Strome and Cat calling themselves the top line.

Our big problem has been the PK, which forwards are you looking at for Pk? Toews, shaw, Smith, Kamph, Carpenter, maybe Jewels?

I expect Gus to run the PP, I dont think Keith had any time on PP last year since he cant skate back fast enough to get pucks if a fore checker is chasing. I would rather see a big forward that can skate do PP2 point, like Sharpie used to.
Keith did have time on the #2 unit after Gus finally showed the coaching staff that Keith was obsolete a long time ago...but he still played the PP.

The problem is still that our team defense sucks the sweat off the balls of a brass monkey--and it will be so until they prove different. We can't really run a 4th FWD like Sharp because we don't have a 4th FWD like Sharp. Even Toews' D was completely milquetoast last season; and he was probably the best defensive FWD we had. His 2019 defensive year was not as good as Sharp's D, much less his pre-2016 level, much less Hossa's. As bad as the D was last year, most of the guys we iced on D were better defensively than any of the FWDs we iced (with the exception of Gus...who was a 13th FWD), so any of them at the PP blueline would give the goalies better breathing room that watching one of the FWDs screw up coverage. That is a factor--a shortie can suck any momentum right out of the team.

I'd much rather see what some of the incumbent D-men can do as a PP blueliner before trying a FWD there.