2019/20 Roster and Camp Battles

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dach gets his 9, Kubalik gets first look, and the rest go kick everyones ass in rockford and make some trade value noise. imo

While Bovquist might be undeniable in camp. We will see. Numbers wise there is no spot for him without shipping a betteran, much less Beudin who is offensively gifted and a bit more well rounded.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the same way we fleeced Carolina, because they contacted us for Forsberg, I think we got fleeced for Joker because we contacted THEM for Nylander.

But when you look internally, in internal discussions, its not that they didn't like Joker but if their inside scouts are saying

1. Bovqist
2. Mitchell
3. Beudin
4. Joker...

3 other youths have passed him....and there aren't spots for any.

That is a nice list to be 4th on, but his timeline was first...so they got that former first which are typically a prized commodity in the NHL even when they aren't working out. Everyone understands there is potential there and a first change of scenery, etc...they were emboldened by Strome success.

My gut says Maata/Gus won't be long for this squad. Maybe Murphy.

I would like either a top 6 RW (sign and trade Perlini with those defenseman) that projects well across from Cat, somebody big and physical(like Perlini but better)

but before they do that I think they start the D guys in Rockford, and before trade deadline will look at Perlini and Nylander in that RW spot across from Cat. They have the physical strength to contribute to the Cat/Strome line by doing things those 2 can't...but Nylander has to be willing to do them at all, and Perlini has to be willing to do them for 1.5-1.9 million.

And thats it..if they can't/won't the Hawks have a ridiculous amount of ammo for a Stan Bowman type. While the fans are crying and wailing Stan is giddy as a school boy. But he needs to stay ahead of the cap so he doesn't get fleeced for 2 years again. Once teams sense we are desperate to trade guys we get fleeced.

Send them all to Rockford and twiddle your thumbs...let teams come to us about Gus. Let Maata reclaim his name. When teams want what we have, spots will naturally open in front of the youth and we can jump on good offers for future picks.

Fracking and the Canadian dollar took down the Hawks dynasty by putting them in the prone fleeced position.

Whereas everyone seems to want Stan's neck...I see what pieces we have now and have to give him a ton of credit for flipping that situation back to Hawks as dealers. We hold the cards again while sitting on a play-off ready roster.

The only thing is really you can't replace a Hossa. That guy once went to 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years with 3 different teams. You can't replace him.

It is clear now that Hossa, not Toews, deserved inclusion into the NHL Top 100 list. imo...Toews deserved it on medals and trophies....true enough. But Hossa was a bonified top 100 impacter on the ice and Toews didn't make top 20 centers in NHL in his prime after his best season. That tells you everything.

Toews-Hossa was the "lottery line" for the 1LW...exactly up until the day Hossa wasn't on it anymore. Then Toews regressed immeasurably also, and no 1LW seemed to work.

The other shitty thing about this year, and reason you need to trade Seabrook if you can bribe his wife or whatever, is that Kubalik is only on a 1 year contract, and if he gets the current lottery line of Toews-Kane...expect 60 points minimum.

Kubalik is going to get 6-10 million per year after a single year in the league. Thats my prediction for him and the best reason to play Saad there. haha. Make Kubalik earn 40 points across from Shaw.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I appreciate your posts here, but man, if Maata does not work out after the Daley and other d men debacle of Stan showing us all that he does not really understand what type of player fits the system, its just another reason to force him out. I get it, you paid 8 plus million to get a couple of D men who are willing to block some shots, but back burnering these kids another year while blocking their paths is unforgivable. I still think the only way Bovquist get on the roster is Murphy or Seabrook going down to injury, then it will seem no matter how well he plays he will probably be shuffled out anyway.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I appreciate your posts here, but man, if Maata does not work out after the Daley and other d men debacle of Stan showing us all that he does not really understand what type of player fits the system, its just another reason to force him out. I get it, you paid 8 plus million to get a couple of D men who are willing to block some shots, but back burnering these kids another year while blocking their paths is unforgivable. I still think the only way Bovquist get on the roster is Murphy or Seabrook going down to injury, then it will seem no matter how well he plays he will probably be shuffled out anyway.

Maybe. We will have to see how Bovquist/Beudin/Mitchell play out. They are still young and a little extra protection for Bovquist's high school concussions is a good thing as he is smaller and should be as prepared as possible before he takes NHL ice in order to protect himself.

Maybe that means a little AHL seasoning while we turn Maata/Murphy/Gus into some trade gold to eventually give way to Bovquist/Beudin/Mitchell.

Better to be over prepared after the D debacle...if they want Lehnar a few more years ensuring some betterans who will get the job done is a good first impression.

I like when future teammates get some time together in the minors too, as it builds chemistry. Let Bovquist/Beudin learn about each other to start the season at Rockford, and

Keith/Gus

De Haan/Maata

Murphy/Seabs

KK

would be my guys, with Carp as the versatile 13th man betteran for forwards. I think Bovquist is better offensively than at least 5 of them right now today...and will pass them all within 18 months,

But lets see how they handle it and what comes of it. They have changed roster strategy and it may take some time and grease to figure it out. For a nasty opening month, that veteran group behind re-tooled grittier forwards, lets see what it looks like and then season from there. Bovquist will remain on upward trajectory by taking next level to Rockford. Same with Beudin.

KK and Gus are just the easiest guys to trade, but getting the right value may not be up to us and requires patience.

Murphy/Maata/De Haan make too much money collectively and Stan will have to choose 1 or 2 to keep.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maybe. We will have to see how Bovquist/Beudin/Mitchell play out. They are still young and a little extra protection for Bovquist's high school concussions is a good thing as he is smaller and should be as prepared as possible before he takes NHL ice in order to protect himself.

Maybe that means a little AHL seasoning while we turn Maata/Murphy/Gus into some trade gold to eventually give way to Bovquist/Beudin/Mitchell.

Keith/Gus

De Haan/Maata

Murphy/Seabs

KK

Well, I definitely do not agree with the pairings having a guy on all three pairs playing off hand side.

Its bad enough when we had to watch Hammer backhanding everything out of the zone, this would be every shift.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I definitely do not agree with the pairings having a guy on all three pairs playing off hand side.

Its bad enough when we had to watch Hammer backhanding everything out of the zone, this would be every shift.

Its just because Stan mentioned Murphy/Seabs playing well together but you are probably right.

You put the fastest guy with Seabs regardless of hand, imo. Maybe that is De Haan? and then Murphy/Maata.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's good to see some life in this Hawks subforum.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We should do a lottery for IGT this year. Everyone gets to do one, or we could let @Raskolnikov do them.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Its just because Stan mentioned Murphy/Seabs playing well together but you are probably right.

You put the fastest guy with Seabs regardless of hand, imo. Maybe that is De Haan? and then Murphy/Maata.
They just never seem to have a problem with it, which always confuses me. Sure, you are skating back to the bench and the puck comes, you might have to handle it off hand a few times, but the backwards puck movement behind the goal usually happens, not a shot up the ice where you forwards can get a scoring chance.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This line-up is coming sooner than later.

Kubalik-Toews-Kane

Cat-Strome-Dach

Saad-Kurashev-Shaw

Jewels-Smith-Saarela/Nylander/Barrett/Hagel

13. Entwhistle/Carp/Kampf

Keith-Bovquist

Murphy-Maata

De-Haan-Beudin

KK/Mitchell

Its hard to make a case for Kampf/Carpenter much longer holdingoff the wave of youts.

Why make it at all? These questions will all be asked in the next 18 moths...I'd like to keep this set of prospects above all others.

Kubalik may be the difficult cap #/contract to keep to the end of next year. This group should provide 2 playoff runs in 2019/20 and 2020/21.

The sooner they clear dead weight the better.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Haha, i love you penciled in the top 9, then throw in 9 names basically for the bottom 9. Gonna be an interesting cut down. I really hope they can make some more moves because they just have too many players, even for Rockford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haha, i love you penciled in the top 9, then throw in 9 names basically for the bottom 9. Gonna be an interesting cut down. I really hope they can make some more moves because they just have too many players, even for Rockford.
and that was even without Perlini. Dach and Kurashev certainly make it interesting. I think Kubalik is a lock and Nylander/Saarela deserve a longer look, but then again they wanted out of their previous teams and timelines and now have to get in line on this one.

The 20/20, 40 point line is really the baseline level for cuts on this team. Smith is just above that and brings a heavy game with it so he is in. Carp is right there borderline while also giving you 50%+ face-off contribution, PK, etc.

So I view Perlini/Carp/Kampf as the first guys questioned by Kurashev/Kubalik/Saarela who I think are 3 names that could out produce them.

The second tier of vets that would have to fight off youth movement, is
Smith/Jewels....but again. That first tier is genuine vulnerable, but also bring grit. I think the second tier would take a special youth to breach. All 5 of those players bring grit though, for the youth its more about being the right fit at a scoring position or converting the 3rd/4th lines into scoring lines.

I think they brought the guys in to go either direction with the 4th line, and in time I think Colloton will figure out what Q did, that with Toews you can shut down the opponents best guy, put Cat-Strome-Kane together, and because Toews real value is scoring on your opponents best scoring line, that is your shut down line. And you can't have 2 shut down lines in this league. Its got to be Saad-Toews-Dach or something, just shutting people down, or Shaw maybe? Then Kane/Cat destroy, Strom wins the lottery and gets overpaid, and Kubalik-Kurashev-Saarela would do damage if you want them to. I think those guys play together in switzerland, Kampf too.

It appears their biggest problem is sorting out how to maximize their wealth of talent and parlay into a long future.

As for the defense, it would surprise me if De Haan, Murphy, Seabrook, Gus, Maata are able to hold off any of Beudin/Bovquist/Mitchell for the next 18 months. 2 have to go. 3 if you keep KK.

Beudin may be redundant and the offensive-defenseman they could trade....but I don't know what we need to trade for.

The biggest thing for them is keeping Strome, Cat, Lehnar, and Kubalik if they can.

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This line-up is coming sooner than later.

Kubalik-Toews-Kane

Cat-Strome-Dach

Saad-Kurashev-Shaw

Jewels-Smith-Saarela/Nylander/Barrett/Hagel

13. Entwhistle/Carp/Kampf

Keith-Bovquist

Murphy-Maata

De-Haan-Beudin

KK/Mitchell

No Seabs?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Ok. I know I'm an idiot but WHO THE FUCK IS JEWELS AND WHY DO YOU KEEP CALLING HIM JEWELS.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok. I know I'm an idiot but WHO THE FUCK IS JEWELS AND WHY DO YOU KEEP CALLING HIM JEWELS.

Somebody else started it, I gave in and I like it. Something to do with starting to swing on Buff is best I can figure. Buff deserved it though. I think everyone on the ice was proud of him, Buff and Jets staff included. So...Jewels.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, someone got their wish and Perlini signed, so I guess Dach, Kubalik or someone else is out of luck with a fuller betteran lineup.

Jewels has balls, but that was the name they started calling him last year, I guess it was either Caggs or Jewels, since Cajewela is how they say the name.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I was worried they would go double or something. Good deal.

Perlini, acquired in November with Dylan Strome in the deal that sent Nick Schmaltz to the Coyotes, ultimately accepted $874,125, the same figure as the qualifying offer the Hawks gave him in June.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, someone got their wish and Perlini signed, so I guess Dach, Kubalik or someone else is out of luck with a fuller betteran lineup.

Jewels has balls, but that was the name they started calling him last year, I guess it was either Caggs or Jewels, since Cajewela is how they say the name.
well anything is really better than that isn't it. It will have to do.

Jewels it is. haha

Those guys aren't touchable. They will both pleasantly surprise you.

Perlini shores up a hole at RW until he or somebody else shows 20 goal potential as the new minimum to stay on this team as a workman. The price was right, Hawks called his bluff on the market, and Perlini competes with Sikura/Saarela, though they can still challenge Carp and/or Kampf.

Its good for the depth and a 200 lb filler that looks good with Cat-Strome and they all benefit each other. Those pussies need him to walk to the convenience marts with them from the hotel, much less staring down Reeves or Chara.