2019/20 Roster and Camp Battles

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we should just start with a season long IGT until things pick-up.

I have a feeling this season is going to start slow with the defense "figuring" things out, mainly how to play with two walrus'.

The first month schedule is brutal, but not in the sense we saw in 2016, 17, 18 where it felt like the league was trying to slow us down and fuck us with the match-ups at the end of back-to-backs and 3 in 4's. You couldn't make the shit up this team experienced from a travel stand point...I absolutely believe somebody was laughing their ass off when they fucked out the blackhawks schedule, or the league wanted fresh faces until they lost revenue without the crown jewel of American Hockey even in the playoffs anymore.

How they start is important and will tell us alot. I would be elated to be a .500 club December 1st, and after that point I view the Blackhawks as ascenders for the next 30 months fingers crossed on health.

But due to the start and roster juggling/settling both, plus division, the playoffs in 19-20 remain dicey and probably comes down to the wire. Every point counts start to finish.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dahlstrom and Sikura clearing waivers is probably the most exciting part of the pre-season. Not sure if Sikura has to, or if Carp or Kampf would.

Maybe they like Dach for the last 9 instead of the first 9, but I would go ahead and give him the experience to take back with him, and keep an open mind if he were to make himself invaluable to the Hawks. Just accept him how he is and the big club is the best place to grow a player with his potential. There is no risk to his young body, he is a monster...and a true alpha male complete with testosterone overload and a big head, big fucking hands...

I say play him and to be scared honest with you, he is the type of guy who may be best when young like Seabrook, as his natural body weight will push the physics within a few years. 200 now he is fast and mobile, but the guy is clearly going to be 225+ without weights by the time he is 23. At some point you become heavy and eventually injury prone, my guess for Seabs is 250-280 is where he has been the last few years, and a healthy grown Dach we are talking about 230 give or take 10 lbs.

he will get much much better and has all the potential in the world, but don't be afraid to get from him what you can while he is young and you have a prime Toews/Kane still. Just go for it!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doing some reading....

I expect De Haan to start on IR, for at least the first week, missing the game in Prague, and allowing us to roster both KK and Dahlstrom.

When De Haan is ready, you can then try to waiver clear Dahlstrom or KK after everyone has set their teams up. This is the best talent hold we can hope for.

They will then trade one or two or three of Gus/Maata/Murphy/Seabrook/KK/Dahlstrom by mid November as they get ready to call up Bovqist, Beudin, KK or Dahlstrom.

We haven't made an October trade in a while, but Gus, KK, or Dahlstrom could certainly go for the right price just to keep from getting waiver poached, imo.

For me, Dahlstrom is clearly the weakest player, but he has shown enough potential paired with Murphy to be very intrigued and want to get something back or see what he becomes.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a tidbit on concussion research but guys with big heads tend to get more concussions in football. This could be due to some sort of target area equation, over aggressiveness with guys with big head, or have a biological vulnerability potentially, not sure all the variables are known.

Dach and Bovquist concussions are now a concern we need to keep aware of, and may be good enough reason to let them finish their development slowly...at least another year with Bovqist making his way to us at some point in 19, early 20.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know, I am kind of mixed with the concussion worry. I am not sure it has been proven how to really do it. Toews rushed back after 5 when they were just called getting a bell rung and not concussion, but what did we lose of the real Toews, a year, year and a half. Then they realize the problem and give Crow all the time in the world and he never fully regained his form. So is it playing softer worrying about the next one that might end the career or does time truly heal all wounds?

You want the guy to have a good NHL career, but when do you take it, now, or when you lose his contract control and he does it elsewhere, or never.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the concussion protocol these days has anything to do with the team trying to get them back out there 100%.

At this point its player union driven and for the life long health of the individual.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think I was the first one to write Jewels here and just letting you know it came from an interview someone had with Kunitz. That is what the locker room refers to him as.

I think I started with Caggs, and Jewels makes so much more sense.
Sorry, been in Slovakia/Poland the past couple of weeks...and no, we had the trip booked before the announcement of the game in Prague this Friday.

Just to be fair though, I believe the Caps locker room referred to Alexander Semin as "Jizz", as a player leaked in an interview. It didn't catch on.

I don't necesarily think Jewels is bad, per se, but it's somewhat of a stretch linking Cagiula to Jewels--especially in the written word. However, Cagiula to Caligula...people know who you're talking about. My $0.02.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sorry, been in Slovakia/Poland the past couple of weeks...and no, we had the trip booked before the announcement of the game in Prague this Friday.

Just to be fair though, I believe the Caps locker room referred to Alexander Semin as "Jizz", as a player leaked in an interview. It didn't catch on.

I don't necesarily think Jewels is bad, per se, but it's somewhat of a stretch linking Cagiula to Jewels--especially in the written word. However, Cagiula to Caligula...people know who you're talking about. My $0.02.
Part if it to me is pronouncing his last name. How many of us thought it was caligula, where jewels is simply ca and jewela.

Anyway, since this thread is going again, did someone win?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Connor Murphy is out for Friday's opener. Calvin de Haan is close, but still not sure. Dennis Gilbert is still around, if needed. That story I wrote the other day might still be accurate, after all!
— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) October 2, 2019

Story claims Kukoo and Gilbert might be third pair for the opener.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Connor Murphy is out for Friday's opener. Calvin de Haan is close, but still not sure. Dennis Gilbert is still around, if needed. That story I wrote the other day might still be accurate, after all!
— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) October 2, 2019

Story claims Kukoo and Gilbert might be third pair for the opener.

Yeah...I think they want to be mum and shush about it but thats what it is. But everyone says they love his physical presence so you are probably going to see Gilbert/Seabrook/Maata go all tough guy and clear the creases in this one.

My biggest concern is that if they go with Crow, by seniority, its Crow who looks shaky and like he needs some reps. I'm not sure the netminder is a solid foundation at the moment, for whatever reason. I'd go with Lehnar but expect we may see Crow both here and then in the home opener, with Lehnar getting the first road game.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know how they are gonna handle Crow, but I think its pretty clearly gonna be right down the middle since your back up is a 5 million dollar guy. Lehner got the last one, Crow gets this one, the home opener is 6 days away

Just remember, the game is on at 1, NBCSN is starting it again at 7, so stay off the medias if you dont want a spoiler.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont know how they are gonna handle Crow, but I think its pretty clearly gonna be right down the middle since your back up is a 5 million dollar guy. Lehner got the last one, Crow gets this one, the home opener is 6 days away

Just remember, the game is on at 1, NBCSN is starting it again at 7, so stay off the medias if you dont want a spoiler.
I think similar to 2013. Ride Crawford for awhile, Ride Lehner for awhile (or flip/flop). Lather, rinse, repeat...at least until/unless someone runs Crawford again.

Either way behind the clusterfuck we call a team D, we'll need both Lehner and Crawford in top shape to have a chance.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
GAME 1 lineup

Nylander-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Shaw
Saad-Kampf-Kubalik
Smith-Carpenter-Caggiula

Keith-Gustafsson
Maatta-Seabrook
Koekkoek-Gilbert

Crawford

and this is what was left for the Rockford lineup

Forwards are MacKenzie Entwistle, Alexandre Fortin, Brandon Hagel, Mikael Hakkarainen, Matthew Highmore, Reese Johnson, Philipp Kurashev, Dylan McLaughlin, Nick Moutrey, Jacob Nilsson, Aleksi Saarela, Dylan Sikura, Tyler Sikura, Tim Soderlund, Versteeg and Anton Wedin.

Defensemen are Nicolas Beaudin, Adam Boqvist, Lucas Carlsson, Dennis Gilbert, Holm, Chad Krys, Jack Ramsey and Joni Tuulola.

Goaltenders Collin Delia, Kevin Lankinen and Matt Tomkins. Last season, Delia and Lankinen helped back the IceHogs to the second-best save percentage in the AHL.

Last edited: