2019-2020 Off-Season Thread

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think they are going to need to consolidate some of their middle infield depth into a better player probably at 2B who can lead off. Way I look at the roster from a hitting perspective, SS 3B, 1B, CF(heyward) and C are pretty solidly filled. I still think Baez is really streaky but he obviously has his value. I also think Bote is probably staying around so you could conceivably move Bryant to RF as there's really not as many good RF hitters as their used to be. Currently there's 5 RF's with a 130+ wRC+.

As for LF, I still believe in Schwarber. His numbers don't look fantastic but he's got a .240 BABIP as compared to the .288 he had last year. If for the sake of argument you handed him a .280 BABIP right now he'd be looking at something like .262/.353/.512. That being said, probably need to protect him fairly hard against LHP by finding a short side platoon guy in the outfield.

So given all that, 2B seems the most likely place where you could reasonably add. Between Bote, Happ, Kemp, Russell, Descalso, Robel Garcia, Trent Giambrone, Zack Short, and hell you can even dig down to like Nico Hoerner..... cubs have way too much depth at 2B and really not enough quality. I'd still love to see them find a way to put together enough of those pieces and some prospects to land Lindor and move Baez to 2B. But regardless, they really need to move that depth into some more reliable every day players.

Two guys you didn't mention

AAA shortstop Dixon Machado is a guy with former major league experience who has put together a very good year in Iowa (.272/.393/,515; 20.2%K/15.2%BB). His power surge is truly remarkable even though we all know the AAA is something weird

This year - 16 HR in 329 PA
Previous times in AAA - 9 HR In 1,307 PA

If the swing is truly different and he's getting more elevation, that could drastically change his future. He always projected as MLB quality with the glove (especially at SS) but the hitting tool was so weak that even the lack of SO were a problem for a good fielding SS. But if he's good enough to go forward, he could make sense at a platoon with a .409 OBP against lefties this year, .347 last year in AAA for the Tigers. Not a guy I'd definitely say is a lock for the future but definitely a guy I wouldn't be shocked to see the Cubs purchase the contract of simply because even if he only buys you a year on having Nico make the majors (i.e Nico makes the majors starting in 2021), that's a value to the Cubs. \

Second guy unnamed was VIamel Machin. 10th round pick out of UVA in 2015, former HS pick of the Padres so always had some talent but the thing I always read about him is that he's got exceptional bat control and has more walks than strikeouts in AA this year while slashing .290/.378/.393. After reading a lot the past week about the Cubs and their desire to get different types of hitters, if Machin is a guy who doesn't chase (which it would sound like with a K rate that low) and someone who can make contact up in the zone, if the glove is good enough (which you would assume it would be for a former college SS at 2B) then he could be a surprise type in spring training. You obviously don't see many guys skip AAA but over 600 PA in AA and if he has a good spring, could be a guy who goes to AAA and is another guy next year who might get a call ahead of Nico solely to keep the clock waiting as long as possible.

My take is Machado is far more likely to make the majors than Machin (older, has experience, great SS fielder gives a backup SS to Baez more naturally than Bote, better platoon candidate with a guy like Kemp potentially) but either guy having a role in 2020 at some point wouldn't truly shock me. The thing about guys in the minors is that you always want to see them do it again next year, if even for a month or so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Two guys you didn't mention

AAA shortstop Dixon Machado is a guy with former major league experience who has put together a very good year in Iowa (.272/.393/,515; 20.2%K/15.2%BB). His power surge is truly remarkable even though we all know the AAA is something weird

This year - 16 HR in 329 PA
Previous times in AAA - 9 HR In 1,307 PA

If the swing is truly different and he's getting more elevation, that could drastically change his future. He always projected as MLB quality with the glove (especially at SS) but the hitting tool was so weak that even the lack of SO were a problem for a good fielding SS. But if he's good enough to go forward, he could make sense at a platoon with a .409 OBP against lefties this year, .347 last year in AAA for the Tigers. Not a guy I'd definitely say is a lock for the future but definitely a guy I wouldn't be shocked to see the Cubs purchase the contract of simply because even if he only buys you a year on having Nico make the majors (i.e Nico makes the majors starting in 2021), that's a value to the Cubs. \

Second guy unnamed was VIamel Machin. 10th round pick out of UVA in 2015, former HS pick of the Padres so always had some talent but the thing I always read about him is that he's got exceptional bat control and has more walks than strikeouts in AA this year while slashing .290/.378/.393. After reading a lot the past week about the Cubs and their desire to get different types of hitters, if Machin is a guy who doesn't chase (which it would sound like with a K rate that low) and someone who can make contact up in the zone, if the glove is good enough (which you would assume it would be for a former college SS at 2B) then he could be a surprise type in spring training. You obviously don't see many guys skip AAA but over 600 PA in AA and if he has a good spring, could be a guy who goes to AAA and is another guy next year who might get a call ahead of Nico solely to keep the clock waiting as long as possible.

My take is Machado is far more likely to make the majors than Machin (older, has experience, great SS fielder gives a backup SS to Baez more naturally than Bote, better platoon candidate with a guy like Kemp potentially) but either guy having a role in 2020 at some point wouldn't truly shock me. The thing about guys in the minors is that you always want to see them do it again next year, if even for a month or so.

I'm pretty sure that Short is the next in line for the UI gig.

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Short put himself on the prospect map by leading the Northeast Conference with nine homers and 33 walks as a Sacred Heart sophomore in 2015, only to slump in the Cape Cod League that summer and again as a junior. He fell to the 17th round of the 2016 Draft, signed for $80,000 and didn't do much in his pro debut. But he has opened eyes since with his power and patience, combining for 30 homers and 176 walks in his first two full seasons while reaching Double-A.

Short has quick hands and a pull-heavy approach, giving him more pop than a typical 175-pounder. He's an extreme flyball hitter who makes a lot of loud contact from the right side of the plate, though the Cubs would like to see him cut down his swing and make more regular contact. He works deep counts and draws a lot of walks, giving him healthy on-base percentages despite subpar batting averages.

With solid speed and an aggressive nature, Short can steal an occasional base. Some club officials believe he's the best defensive infielder in the system, and his quickness and arm strength allow him to play second and third base and serve in a utility role if needed. If he can put the bat on the ball more consistently, he could be an everyday shortstop in the mold of Zack Cozart.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that Short is the next in line for the UI gig.

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Short put himself on the prospect map by leading the Northeast Conference with nine homers and 33 walks as a Sacred Heart sophomore in 2015, only to slump in the Cape Cod League that summer and again as a junior. He fell to the 17th round of the 2016 Draft, signed for $80,000 and didn't do much in his pro debut. But he has opened eyes since with his power and patience, combining for 30 homers and 176 walks in his first two full seasons while reaching Double-A.

Short has quick hands and a pull-heavy approach, giving him more pop than a typical 175-pounder. He's an extreme flyball hitter who makes a lot of loud contact from the right side of the plate, though the Cubs would like to see him cut down his swing and make more regular contact. He works deep counts and draws a lot of walks, giving him healthy on-base percentages despite subpar batting averages.

With solid speed and an aggressive nature, Short can steal an occasional base. Some club officials believe he's the best defensive infielder in the system, and his quickness and arm strength allow him to play second and third base and serve in a utility role if needed. If he can put the bat on the ball more consistently, he could be an everyday shortstop in the mold of Zack Cozart.

Just haven't read anything that positive about him this year and batting seventh @ Iowa only ahead of Taylor Davis and having a sub .340 OBP in AAA is not showing major league readiness. We'll see how the spring goes, but if I was ranking them in terms of likelihood of being on the roster next year, I'd go

1. Bote
2. Kemp
3. Happ
4. Descalsco
5. Garica
6. Cedeno
7. Russell (most likely non-tendered is my guess)
8. Giambrone
9. Hoerner
10. Short

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just haven't read anything that positive about him this year and batting seventh @ Iowa only ahead of Taylor Davis and having a sub .340 OBP in AAA is not showing major league readiness. We'll see how the spring goes, but if I was ranking them in terms of likelihood of being on the roster next year, I'd go

1. Bote
2. Kemp
3. Happ
4. Descalsco
5. Garica
6. Cedeno
7. Russell (most likely non-tendered is my guess)
8. Giambrone
9. Hoerner
10. Short

He is concidered the top D UI in the system. Add to it he has good power. This hit tool is sub par. Thus his BA being low. But has a good walk rate.

If I'm going with a true UI I would want Kemp. LH bat little versitility in position choice.

Short I would want if I plan on trading Bote. I see no purpose of holding both. But Short is a natural SS so he holds more weight as a MI over Bote who is not a natural SS.

So if it was me I would trade Bote, Happ and Russell.

Have Kemp and Short on the bench as D and pitch hitters. Then push up Nico as the starting 2B.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This thread wasn't made solely because the discussion about anything of real substance should be today but it's something that will start to be had the closer we get to the off-season. Like I said, the only threads on the board were either series threads, prospects, or relating to the trade deadline. The purpose of this thread is that if you have an opinion of the future and you want to share it, go nuts.

The one pet peeve I have (especially on a board that doesn't create that many threads so it's not as if this is bumping other stuff out) is when people come into a thread and post about why this thread is stupid. Great, you don't want to talk about anything regarding the future of the team and roster until you want. But that will come at some day for you and when you want to say something, join in the conversation. Do two people having a conversation that doesn't impact or mention you really upset you that much?

You seem upset. I already stated my thoughts twice.

I think its a bit hasty at this point to have any meaningful off-season talk, especially about the future of the manager which was specifically cited by you.

I think its somewhat pointless to discuss offseason moves in the middle of the season in general, but particularly with this Cubs team. So much of its future direction is dependent on the remainder of the regular season and postseason.

Sorry for upsetting you. In your words, feel free to "Go Nuts!" That seems to be the usual procedure here.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bullpen will need some work but having Kimbrel makes some of that easier.

Not sure how pissing $43M down the drain makes it easier to refurbish the bullpen.

Love these early August offseason threads.

Last edited: